Forum 5

EGR Cooler Recall

I received a recall notice for EGR Cooler inspection and associated software update this morning. A problem that just won’t go away I guess even on more recent cars. 90 minutes nominal thumb twiddling in the $tealer which will probably stretch to 3 hours by the time its done. I’m on quite a modest mileage so I doubt if it’s urgent but I guess I’d better get it booked in.

Earliest my local $tealer can do it is mid-February so I assume it’s not perceived (by BMW at any rate) as a big risk? They want it for the whole day too (though BMW estimate it at 90 minutes)! At least there will be a no-charge loan car of some sort but I sometimes feel that customers are just a nuisance to BMW.

6 hours ago, BobA said:

I sometimes feel that customers are just a nuisance to BMW.

Agreed, I am less than impressed with my local dealership, and from now on they won’t be seeing my car in there, unless it’s for a recall. 

• 1 month later...

Mine went in for this recall yesterday. Admittedly it’s an F11 but a 2015 B47 so a distant relative of the current gen engines in a roundabout sort of way!

For me it really was just a software update. I’d rather hoped that they would renew the EGR unit simply because something new is always a nice thing, right? But no, just software.

My local dealer was excellent (Milton Keynes) and collected at 8am on the dot. They called to confirm receipt of the vehicle into the workshop and asked if I had any remapping, CarPlay retrofit (that’s not even possible without extra hardware on ID4!) or any other software enhancements, which I don’t, before explaining that the software would be updated to improve monitoring of the EGR system. I asked if the valve/cooler might be replaced but they said there is no requirement at this time.

I have to say, and I don’t know if I’m imagining it or whether it’s just the cold weather but I think it seems smoother since the software update. I can’t see why it would be as I’m assuming it’s a separate ECU that’s been updated and not the main DDE unit but perhaps I’m wrong? Maybe they update everything, hence the question about remaps and CarPlay?

Anyway, to anyone who is thinking about having the latest recall done I would say on the strength of my experience, go ahead, it all seems very straightforward.

andy

ps, I know I’m and F11 driver so am posting in the wrong board but just lurking to find out what you lucky people in G30/31s are discussing 🙂

On 13/12/2022 at 21:29, Andy5150 said:

Mine went in for this recall yesterday. Admittedly it’s an F11 but a 2015 B47 so a distant relative of the current gen engines in a roundabout sort of way!

For me it really was just a software update. I’d rather hoped that they would renew the EGR unit simply because something new is always a nice thing, right? But no, just software.

My local dealer was excellent (Milton Keynes) and collected at 8am on the dot. They called to confirm receipt of the vehicle into the workshop and asked if I had any remapping, CarPlay retrofit (that’s not even possible without extra hardware on ID4!) or any other software enhancements, which I don’t, before explaining that the software would be updated to improve monitoring of the EGR system. I asked if the valve/cooler might be replaced but they said there is no requirement at this time.

I have to say, and I don’t know if I’m imagining it or whether it’s just the cold weather but I think it seems smoother since the software update. I can’t see why it would be as I’m assuming it’s a separate ECU that’s been updated and not the main DDE unit but perhaps I’m wrong? Maybe they update everything, hence the question about remaps and CarPlay?

Anyway, to anyone who is thinking about having the latest recall done I would say on the strength of my experience, go ahead, it all seems very straightforward.

andy

ps, I know I’m and F11 driver so am posting in the wrong board but just lurking to find out what you lucky people in G30/31s are discussing 🙂

They will have updated all modules on the car to the latest iLevel of the software.

• 2 months later...

In the end BMW weren’t able to do my EGR software update due to an existing problem which is that there’s ‘no communication with the Lane Assist controller’. My car doesn’t have lane assist so I declined their offer to investigate (£250+) as it sounds like the thin end of an expensive wedge to repair a fault which doesn’t affect the car in any way. I might have a look sometime - probably won’t - but it’s an irritation that a module which I don’t need (no faults logged) should prevent updating something else which I do. BMW are fine with cars but their software systems are sometimes pretty frail.

Edited by BobA

I read somewhere that the software update is supposed to reduce the risk of catastrophe (car catching fire), by monitoring the operating parameters more closely.

My wife's car went in a few weeks ago and for the first time ever, a CEL has recently appeared, along with the 'drivetrain malfunction' warning! The fault codes seem to be DPF/EGR related:- 244800, 290900, 28DE00.

The cynic in me might suggest that the 'software update' is to blame.

49 minutes ago, Greenfingers said:

I read somewhere that the software update is supposed to reduce the risk of catastrophe (car catching fire), by monitoring the operating parameters more closely.

My wife's car went in a few weeks ago and for the first time ever, a CEL has recently appeared, along with the 'drivetrain malfunction' warning! The fault codes seem to be DPF/EGR related:- 244800, 290900, 28DE00.

The cynic in me might suggest that the 'software update' is to blame.

Best to have those codes checked with ISTA or Bimmerlink which give better descriptions of the faults and narrow them down. 
ISTA in particular, will tell you almost exactly what’s wrong. 
I’ve still not had any communication from BMW for the EGR software recall on mines, had the cooler recall done a good while ago.