Forum 5

Dampness in rear footwell

I noticed the rear footwell carpet (nearside) being damp recently in my F10. I saw on the E60 forum a thread about a similar issue and wondered if it was similar causes, but then I found this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/dnMFPUosiiE

Which seems to be plausible and claims to solve the problem (caused by a failed seal around the yellow plastic blanking grommet, where the steering column would normally go through the bulkhead on a LHD car). The guy in the video suggests adding silicone sealant to a ensure a good seal when replacing, but I'm never keen on using a sealant in case it causes difficulties later down the line. 

Has anyone else had this problem on an F10? It would be good to know how you got on sorting it and whether it was an easy fix?

10 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Has anyone else had this problem on an F10? It would be good to know how you got on sorting it and whether it was an easy fix?

Lots of people have had this problem yes. There was a huge rambling thread nearly 40 pages long on the old forum with all the relevant information.

The video you linked us to is useful and sums it up quite well. He doesn't seem to show actually removing the grommet which I understand can be tricky.

I haven't gone as far as replacing mine. I did remove the cover and clear out all the accumulated crud. You can see the tide mark on my grommet where the water had been collecting. I probably got to mine just in time.

20200427-112109.jpg

Before replacing the cover I cut out part of the seal at the bottom to allow water to drain freely away.

20200427-112027.jpg

I think this is all you really need to do. As long as water is not building up and sitting on the grommet it's not going to leak through. I periodically check to see if water is draining freely. So far so good and I've avoided any wet carpets. I think if you did the same, get your carpet dried out and keep an eye on it you should be OK.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
Fixed links to photos

Not much to add to what Cadwell says; he's spot on.  I too removed the cover and cleaned out the sludge that had accumulated behind the cover at the bottom.  There was no tide mark on my car's yellow grommet, suggesting water was still draining away.  I suspect eventually the drain channels would have blocked and water would then seep through the grommet.  It's a good idea to check every so often, and/or to modify the cover's seal as Cadwell's picture shows.   

I took the cover off today and it had the same tidemark with accumulated crud behindit. I cleaned it out and cut a drain slot out of the rubber seal as suggested so let's hope that sorts it.

20221113_122718-.thumb.jpg.58f5f5e0d6d06395fd868d9ebc6b60ff.jpg

I can't understand why it would ever be designed so that rainwater is directed behind this cover in the first place. Presumably it is just a design fault?

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Does the yellow grommit issue not effect the front footwell and not rear?

We have a leaking door on the e39 after i changed the door which will be the vapour barrier not sealing properly.

A well-trodden path... The water pools in the rear footwell due to the forward motion of the vehicle pushing the water rearwards where it sits soaking up into the carpet underlay foam and then the carpet.

4 hours ago, Stringbag said:

I think you are right. Not sure about the floor plan under the carpet (water could possibly run between the two, however both would be equally wet). If it is just the rear carpet, it’s much more likely to be the rear door seal than the yellow gromet. 

easy fix

The leaking via the yellow grommet most definitely does cause the rear carpet to get soaked from underneath due to the water pooling. The door vapour could lose its seal allowing water to enter that way but, in many cases, it is the yellow grommet water ingress.

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

A well-trodden path... The water pools in the rear footwell due to the forward motion of the vehicle pushing the water rearwards where it sits soaking up into the carpet underlay foam and then the carpet.

I get that but would front and rear not be wet? braking would force water forward to and if the car was stood no motion.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I get that but would front and rear not be wet? braking would force water forward to and if the car was stood no motion.

The pool is at the rear which is why it is more obvious. If the car is standing still the water will stay exactly where it was left. This isn’t an opinion, this is first hand obtained fact along with the experience of many others hence the stupidly long thread on the old forum.

45 minutes ago, Matthew said:

The pool is at the rear which is why it is more obvious. If the car is standing still the water will stay exactly where it was left. This isn’t an opinion, this is first hand obtained fact along with the experience of many others hence the stupidly long thread on the old forum.

It's also not an arguement, just trying to understand the issue to help others.