Forum 5

Heater/AC blower

jkj

2014 520d F11

Really confused with this one!

My blower fan only works occasionally and then never over setting 3.

I have read here that this could be the final stage resistor/unit ( which I believe may be situated under the dashboard somewhere in ducting, and/or the blower resistor/controller situated under the fan blower motor.

I cannot find any definitve instructions to change the  final stage resistor /unit and some sites suggest this is not in the F11. which could be the reason there is no step by step instructions. That being said I have seen the units ( AKA 'hedgehog') for sale to fit 2014 F11.

Beside the discomfort of having no heating/AC. my MOT runs out in 2 days and I doubt it will pass with a 'misted up' screen.

Can someone please tell me:

Does my car have both of the above and which one should I replace first to see if it solves the problem?

Also:

Can anyone provide a link to a guide on how to change these on F10/11 (the one in ducting) - I can only find items relating to E series cars ( that is why I'm wondering if F10/11's have them.)

Getting a bit desperate now and any help would be gratefully received.

I replaced the whole unit on mine £45 on ebay with superceded part been fine ever since mine had burning smell on max.

Very easy job I had done a write up on old forum.

Correct resistor is attached to bottom I have my old 1 in shed.

Edited by marko530d
  • Like 1

Changed my blower motor too on Saturday. Problem solved. Gave the housing a good clean and also managed to get a heap of leaves and crap out from the car side channels.

589031CA-E34F-4DE8-8AA0-D12668385C57.thumb.jpeg.f85b9a40f48da12b4980ba59b64035ef.jpeg

The resistor looked a bit dirty too so I gave it a wee clean too.

3EEE5541-4093-4CE5-81B9-1C67474D1641.thumb.jpeg.2c160b1bc4de038979be1557d00c19ec.jpeg

Glad you got sorted too.

Edited by AndrewToo

Hi Andrew Thanks for comment.

The thing that confused me was being pointed to the 'Hedgehog resitor' as the possible cause. (a reply to my original question - can't remember which forum)

I now don't think these are fitted on the F10/11.

I did change the resistor as you photo as I arleady had replacement but then realised it must be the motor.

All now working fine. 

Got both from ebay so probably Chinese but at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1