Forum 5

New recall notice.....DDE Control Unit

I was on the phone to the parts dept at a dealer near me the other day. The guy asked if I'd had a recal letter. I said no. He told me there was a new recall recently issued to do with the EGR cooler. He didn't mention anything about the DDE. I asked specifically if they'd be updating any software. He said no. From what I could gather they were just going to change the cooler but from reading Neil's letter it seems there could be more to it.

Presumably any software update will overwrite my remap. That won't be ideal but better than driving around in a potential fireball.

I'll be back in touch with the dealer in the next couple of weeks to discuss getting my car booked in but in the meantime @Percha if you're making any enquiries I'd be interested to know the situation regarding remaps.

34 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

As a result we'll probably be plagued with over cautious idrive warnings 🙄

Because folk no longer carry out weekly under bonnet checks where a leak of coolant may just be detected.

Obviously all us car nuts have worn out bonnet release mechanisms from carrying out weekly checks.....

• Like 2

On 02/11/2022 at 10:12, Cadwell Parker said:

It sounds like they're trying to ensure any symptoms of a leaking EGR cooler are identified as early as possible. As a result we'll probably be plagued with over cautious idrive warnings 🙄

That's what I was thinking.  The EGR cooler on my car was replaced under warranty just under a year ago.  I don't really want to end up with warnings all over the place, but I guess I really should get this sorted out.  I hate going to my nearest BMW main dealer.  You have to wait weeks for an appointment, then service is often poor - so I don't use them to look after the car.  I've found a local garage to take care of it well enough.

Been working on trading my F11 for a G31 and I have found half the cars on dealer forecourts at the moment have this recall on them. All seems familiar just like the big wave a couple of years ago, when mine was recalled for the cooler itself twice. The second time they decided to replace it and asked if I wanted to pick it up on a Friday or Saturday. Lucky I randomly decided Friday as the next day COVID shut all the dealerships with cars stuck inside for some time..

On 02/11/2022 at 10:52, Andrew said:

Because folk no longer carry out weekly under bonnet checks where a leak of coolant may just be detected.

Obviously all us car nuts have worn out bonnet release mechanisms from carrying out weekly checks.....

At the moment mainly from cleaning the bloody leaves out of the scuttles.... 😏