Forum 5

I think these discs have had it!

duncan-uk

So having my MOT last month i noticed these discs laying to one side (not my car before  you ask) and couldn't quite believe it - talking to one of the techs it seems that its a 330d that came in for a rear wheel bearing and they discovered these (chip is levering them off) but assume the caliper was sticking - quite how the owner didn't notice beggars belief!

IMG_6982.thumb.jpg.e395eed2b35f13a82535b4cbfd27ae1f.jpgIMG_6981.thumb.jpg.bcaef07f4b5d7bfd89abf216b9d2c4a8.jpgIMG_6979.thumb.jpg.3e87be7f3b4c8ef367b2d80bc05bff22.jpg

most people don't look at their car - and if they do, very few know what looks right vs wrong. 

The issue with EV's coming in is people are going from modest power cars through to high power - they're not going to be maintained (brakes & tyres) in the way they need to be. 

Edited by dj123

That looks grim.

We had a similar issue recently.  My youngest daughter is learning to drive, and she has a little 2014 Hyundai i10, which we bought back in early March.  Came with an advisory free MOT, and new rear discs and pads.

We were out in it a couple of weeks ago, and when I got out of the car I could smell cooking brakes.  Turned out the offside rear disc was red hot - even the wheel itself was hot.  We hadn't felt anything unusual driving it, and it was still free to roll.  Turned out to be a seized slider in the caliper - the rubber boot had deteriorated allowing water in apparently.  The only visible sign was a very clean disc.

I have had so many issues with rear discs over the years, but never any problems with drums.  I actually believe that for light, small to medium cars with modest power, that rear drums are the best solution.  Bost of the time, in normal driving, rear pads are just not putting any pressure on the discs, so they corrode.