Forum 5

Radiator shutter flaps

They'll only open when the car needs extra cooling - so either sat in traffic in high temperature ambient conditions. Or may be after a very spirited drive/track run. 

The lower openings in the bumper flow air through the lower part of the radiator & oil cooler continuously. Which probably provides more than enough to keep fluid temps at the right level for normal driving in town, or Motorway drives. 

Edited by dj123

Because it also helps the engine maintain temperature. An engine running too cold or too hot is not running efficiently, and will have increased fuel consumption & emissions because of it. 

They're only installed on cars in colder climates, in hotter areas (such as Texas) they're not fitted from factory as they'll not have an issue maintaining temperature due to the warmer ambient climate. 

Thanks for info I noticed today that as soon as I hooked caravan up the flaps opened immediately from cold which i was shocked about and was still opened when I unhooked it back home I’m going to look again in morning see if anything happens again with no caravan on at least I know they working just got to see if it’s doing it when it should 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 16:25, Lobster Pot said:

Thanks for info I noticed today that as soon as I hooked caravan up the flaps opened immediately from cold which i was shocked about and was still opened when I unhooked it back home I’m going to look again in morning see if anything happens again with no caravan on at least I know they working just got to see if it’s doing it when it should 

If they fail, the car will shout about it. Diagnostics, depending on the tool's ability, will be able to activate the flaps for any troubleshooting.