Forum 5

Front Brakes Replacement

I will be replacing the front brake discs and pads soon, do I need to perform any sort of reset once done? 

Is there a mileage based condition monitor for these at all? 

I’ve never tried the “secret menu” on the dash yet  

I have a new pad wear sensor, although the existing sensor is still intact and the pad warning hasn’t been triggered,  so will only fit the new sensor if I have to, otherwise will keep it for spare. 

TIA

Edited by ally

2 hours ago, ally said:

I will be replacing the front brake discs and pads soon, do I need to perform any sort of reset once done? 

Is there a mileage based condition monitor for these at all? 

I’ve never tried the “secret menu” on the dash yet  

I have a new pad wear sensor, although the existing sensor is still intact and the pad warning hasn’t been triggered,  so will only fit the new sensor if I have to, otherwise will keep it for spare. 

TIA

Yes, you need to do a service reset for the Brake service indicator shown in the iDrive.

• Sit in the car with the driver's door closed
  • Engine off but the ignition on - press start stop button without a foot on the brake.
  • You may need to release the parking brake.
  • Press and hold the trip reset button for 10seconds until the display gives you the reset info
  • Press the trip reset button to scroll to the brake service reset entry
  • Once you get the "Perform Reset?" option, press and hold the trip button for 3 seconds.

Note: If the brake wear sensor hasn't worn through and shorted on the disc, this reset method will probably not work and you'll need to reset it with ISTA.

Edited by Matthew
  • Thanks 2

It seems I don’t have the brake pads service reset option, I only have engine oil, vehicle check and brake fluid, so I’m guessing I don’t need to do anything else after the front brake replacement. 

13 hours ago, ally said:

I checked with ISTA, following replacement of the front discs and pads, it shows that the front and rear pads on my car are “not calculated” so I left it at that. 

I assume the wear sensor hadn’t work through hence not having the option to reset through the instrument cluster. I would still be inclined to do a reset via ISTA though as the car will be maintaining a mileage count down that may trigger prematurely.

16 hours ago, Matthew said:

I assume the wear sensor hadn’t work through hence not having the option to reset through the instrument cluster. I would still be inclined to do a reset via ISTA though as the car will be maintaining a mileage count down that may trigger prematurely.

Yep, the sensor was still intact. 
The car isn’t counting the mileage, ISTA shows that the brake pads are “not calculated” and shows no mileage on them, so I didn’t do a reset, as it advised not to do it, despite there still being an option to do it. 
Surprising for me, I know my car is very basic but still thought it would be measuring mileage on the pads. 
On the plus side, braking is now very smooth again.