Forum 5

E34 EMS KBA 9540 immobiliser removal

RichardP

I don't suppose anyone has the wiring diagram for the KBA 9540 immobiliser that was used before EWS became standard?  This is the system that has a thin rectangular fob that you have to touch an illuminated button to the side of the cluster to disarm.

345690700_KBA9540.jpg.31395fbc3878578cfb8beb6787464074.jpg

846484573_Screenshot2018-11-04at15_19_52.thumb.jpg.33d264a83da653642e26ee0d5cae3a96.jpg

I would guess it was a dealer fit option judging by the way the module is just stuffed behind the drivers side (LHD car) footwell trim.

I want to remove it to fit a more modern system and also because it's a pain to use and I only have one fob, if that fails I'll be a bit stuck.

• 2 months later...

I only have the BMW diagrams etc for the actual alarm systems like 2T, 3G etc. That immobiliser (System II)  is just to prevent the engine from starting (multiple start interrupt) so will be easy to remove.

Just follow each wire from the control unit to where it's spliced into the car wiring loom, cut it if soldered in or if it uses connectors, just unplug and reconnect the original wires. 

92-95 cars use EWS1 which takes signals from the central locking via the body control module. When the car is locked, the body control module gets a signal from the switches on the front door handles cut power to the starter and fuel pump. EWSII arrived Jan 1995.