Forum 5

What did you do to your E34 today?

Sharkfan

New forum so a new old thread...

I decided to investigate an annoying squeak from the front passenger side of the car - a recent passenger reckoned somewhere from the door card so perhaps a loose armrest/pull handle?

I took the card off and it immediately became clear - the door pocket stayed on the door when the door card came off - some super sticky skinny double side tape had it all back in one piece again and a test drive proved it had gone.

Annoyingly it's one step forward and one step back though as I noticed the rear passenger side window had stopped working. I duly took the door card off and i could hear the motor 'click' in either direction when the button is pressed but no movement at all. With the old forum gone I will have to google for answers as to whether it's terminal and I need a replacement or whether I can remove it and fix it.

Just went thru this on my son's 95 e34 530iT (with 110k Km on the clock)

The symptoms were the same as what you are experiencing. The motor and regulator were the originals (regulator riveted in). disconnected the electrical connection to the motor and using a multi-meter determined that I have voltage and the switches worked etc. Keep in mind that both (console and door) window switches need to be in place to test.

Before replacing the assembly (at least here in Canada the pass/rear motor isn't available separately) I figured with nothing to lose I removed the "magnet can" which is held on with qty 2. T25 screws and this exposed the armature and motor brushes. I found that I could rotate the armature by hand ( you could see that the regulator would move "very" slowly) indicating that the worm gear was ok. I did remove the motor brushes and then remove/clean the armature, lube and reassemble using contact cleaner on the motor brushes . I did find reassemble of the armature a bit of a pain as the shaft is going into a blind bushing you end up with a "air trap".

Reassembled the "can" also made sure the window regulator slides we free and clear, lubricated (the existing lube was dried out and somewhat hard).

With the door card off I attached the door window switch and applied power to the motor - I had success!

Now while I removed the armature and brushes to clean - reassembly of the brushes was a bit of a pain as the springs are small - easy to drop and as well the "clip" is plastic - in hind sight if I had to do this again I'd try the contact cleaner on its own first before taking the brushes and armature out but the commutator is somewhat hidden.

Hope this is somewhat helpful..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue on one of my E34 saloons.  Believe it or not, someone suggested that I thump the window a few times with my hand around the edges of the glass while someone else operated the switch - and it worked.  Thereafter a good clean up of the glass and the runners kept it working.

Not always the case I'm sure, but worth trying before you start stripping stuff down!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I had this issue on one of my E34 saloons.  Believe it or not, someone suggested that I thump the window a few times with my hand around the edges of the glass while someone else operated the switch - and it worked.  Thereafter a good clean up of the glass and the runners kept it working.

Not always the case I'm sure, but worth trying before you start stripping stuff down!

This is the sort of knowledge we need to try and share!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my E34 back from 'The Man' after replacing all the rear diff seals - it had a weep for a while but I hardly use it so I waited until I had booked three cars in a row with Lee (F32 x-drive, an everything fluid change then the E34 then the E39 for a rear suspension bush/ball joint refresh). No leaks now - so all wrapped up in the garage until the salt and grim weather has buggered off.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is two and a half hours I'll never get back 😒

A simple change of the rear light bulb turned into a complete saga when I dropped the bulb holder when I was struggling to get it back in - the holder fell down and rolled into a completely inaccessible chassis recess underneath the rear light fitting and rolled forward almost underneath the rear washer bottle.

Two hours later and with a couple of bent wire coat hangers, an engineers endoscopy camera and my daughters tiny hands and I/we managed to retrieve it.

To prevent this in the future I have some high density foam that I will stuff below the light fitting to halt any potential future escapes.

TLDR; don't drop the rear light bulb holders!!!! 

Another small disaster averted - I searched everywhere for my main E34 key only to eventually find it in a fleece pocket…

…that had been through the wash!

key worked in the ignition ok but would not respond to the lock or unlock buttons - luckily for me it was fixed with a simple battery change - phew!

• 1 month later...

Just waiting for the weather to improve, then I can re-wire the tailgate, fix the intermittent locking/unlocking of both passenger doors, respray my new old rear bumper and fit it, remove the dent someone kindly left in one door and fix the noisy tappets. I'll be needing more than a day for that lot.

Had the tracking checked and reset - car transformed. Once again had to use a specific Hunter machine as they are the only ones who hold all the Alpina information - even for cars with low (less than 20) number of models.

Edit to add: Thank you for the stuck leccy window advice further up - before I set out today I have the window a tap in all 4 corners then once driving I rocked the open/close switch alternately until a little clunk and it started working again.

Edited by Sharkfan

I’ve spent a good 15-20 hours this week underneath my E34 rubbing back fuel and brake lines (as well as some chassis bits) then coating with Bilt Hamber rust inhibitor then underseal sealant. Other bits required some hammerite, some of which is still in my hair.

I also spent a couple of hours diagnosing an inoperative front fog light that once confirming the LCM was ok was traced to a missing earth.

A few more bits to check tomorrow then off to a car meet on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

MoT'd it. Two track control arms prior and an advisory on track rod end so that's been replaced as well - 217,212 miles now. Waiting for better weather to address some cosmetic issues!

• Like 1

Still on lights, I had a bit of time free and thought I would try the seemingly very easy change of a front fog light as one of mine is cracked - one screw and swing it out forwards.

Nope - the Alpina spoiler glued on top of the original spoiler means there is not enough space to get the light out from the front so the whole thing has to come out from the back, so instead of one simple screw it is jack the car up, wheel off, brake cooling duct off then entire foglight and support frame out from the back.

Bugger.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well Monday and this morning. Monday I had to press the E34 into service as the E39 had a puncture, so I drove for 9 and 3/4 hours in an 11 hour period, from Guildford to Exeter, to Ilfracombe, and then back to Guildford, well over 400 miles.

E34 performed faultlessly except the drivers side heater valve jammed open about 10 miles from home as the outside temperature fell. I fixed that this morning by simply applying 12v across the valve to free it off. Nice easy fix. I can confirm that the M60B46 is still an animal with horizon reaching speeds easily and eagerly reached despite being 28 years and 169,000 miles old.

Also, I had done Guildford-Exeter-Guildford the previous Wednesday and I can confirm I was feeling fresher getting out of the E34 sports seats after nearly 10 hours than the E39 sports seats after 6 and a half.

Viva the E34 !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted my refurbed gear surround and an oem gearknob (don’t ask how much I spent in total). I was sold the gearknob by a young kid at BMW Cotswolds but when it arrived it was not burr walnut as promised but myrtle - which is darker and redder. 

Gone with it after a small refund but not ideal, however it looks ok generally. You can see the colour difference in the sun more as the pictures show. My old walnut gearknob and surround will be on eBay soon…

IMG_6571.thumb.jpeg.dd69b100a28e598c3b3f30b68609ff58.jpeg

IMG_6576.thumb.jpeg.d34b68786febb798e5c25c85eeeaca4a.jpeg

IMG_6577.thumb.jpeg.468a609f13ba0a9ff4108e3f1a9a3285.jpeg

Edited by KitTheRam
  • Like 4

Nevermind the gearstick. I'm amazed at the condition of your sill/kickplates. Those grey pieces either end should have disintegrated years ago. They are made of Tyrolean Grey Cheese I believe and need to be kept in the fridge. How on earth have they been so well preserved?

Gear surround is nice too. I've polished mine and forbid anything to be put there, save perhaps a cloth.

Keliuss