Forum 5

530i BMW, year 2005,34,000 miles, Petrol, Saloon, 3.0L Automatic

Good morning,
l and I am not an expert in car buying practices in England.
I would like to buy this 530i BMW, year 2005,34,000 miles, Petrol, Saloon, 3.0L Automatic
BUT this car is marked Cat. S,
what must the seller have or what must be done so that this car can be insured and circulate without problems?
Thanks for the reply

Cat S is a insurance right off due to structural damage but is deemed safe to repair and put back on the road but it must be re-registered with the DVLA.

Car will have a new log book assigned showing it as a car S this will also affect the value of the car and also you may struggle to insure it or have to pay a hefty price..

Edited by simonr60

Unless there is some compelling reason that this is the right car and you know exactly why it was Cat S and how it was repaired i would look for another.

Cat N is economic write off ie the value to repair with genuine parts exceeds the value and as such can be quite trivial.

In both cases, i think, when in the cars life the marker was applied has a huge bearing so a car made cat N when valued ar £3k would be a different proposition to one valued at £30k

As an example my 2003 530d is Cat N due to a hit and run, the damage occured a couple of years back was a wing and a scuffed bumper but BMW parts prices easily exceeded the cars value - i bought the car back by way of a reduced payout. Polished the bumper and replaced the wing with a used one in matching colour and a track rod end.

This was all fully documented so one can explain at sale time.