Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

Well the upper intake boot wasn't my only problem it appeared, as the codes just kept on coming. So back under the bonnet and... aha. It appears that the CCV drain hose has had a tracheotomy.

20230614_195736.thumb.jpg.3b6b25badbf6f0bbab60b855588f28d1.jpg

New hose in, let's see if that's the end of the matter or if my car still sucks.

Nothing major.......

TqrXQCs.jpg

It should be noted that stripping the centre console enough to unbolt the handbrake lever to unsnag one of the handbrake cables took the same time as removing the exhaust, prop shaft, and rear subframe.....

Edited by Flandy
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2023 at 19:07, duncan-uk said:

Did it take long? Assume it could be done whilst you wait?

Getting back to this ABS module coding thing  - I got as far with INPA saying something like 'Test not complete' and the bit that needed doing was as shown in the below video.

Basically key out/ignition off for at least 10 seconds, then key in and to run position, wait 2 seconds then quite swiftly but evenly press the brake pedal hard down and hold it down for about 20 seconds or until the warning lights go out - it is the test that lets the ABS control unit calibrate against brake pedal pressure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1qSZD8dESw

HTH

• Thanks 1

Possibly - you might get away with replacing the module, clearing any errors with a half decent OBD ABS code reader/clearer, then doing the routine in the video.

I am NOT an expert on coding, code clearing or INPA - I just muddle through as best I can.

Apologies if this has been covered before but regarding replacement ABS modules

This is what can be found from internet searches:

First they need to be coded to mileage and VIN.  Inpa won't do that only NCS expert or other software.

NCS expert can be scary as it is all in German.  Clavurion provided guidance in the past and there are forum posts on it and youtube videos.

I think PA Soft BMW scanner may also be able to do it.  It has a better UI but needs a different cable.

Here is a video I think of someone doing it on an E46.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1dn4c3g6dsA

Then steering angle calibration typically is done using DIS as neither INPA or PA soft can do it.  Some versions of INPA possibly might be able to do it or you mighy get away with the methods shown, I think, by Sharkfan and on the internet that need no software tools. 

• Thanks 1

Not today but a bit over a week ago.  Went on a trip to Burgundy.  Had planned to take the E46 convertible but early in the morning when we set off for the Eurotunnel, 1/4 of a mile from home the instrument cluster completely died.  So we went home and swapped for the E39. E46 now fixed but that is another story.

The E39 went very well except that one of the side under body panels half fell off and started scraping on the ground so I had to stop and completely remove it.  A new one goes on this weekend if I get time.

On the way back we stopped overnight in northern france and stumbled on a UK classic car club.20230630_190057.thumb.jpg.47f23a53456d4fd2753991fe5c6504d9.jpg20230630_190726.thumb.jpg.96c969d1fd6a832b08692c54b5690ca7.jpg

Edited by Dbcrd
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Not today but a bit over a week ago.  Went on a trip to Burgundy.  Had planned to take the E46 convertible but early in the morning when we set off for the Eurotunnel, 1/4 of a mile from home the instrument cluster completely died.  So we went home and swapped for the E39. E46 now fixed but that is another story.

The E39 went very well except that one of the side under body panels half fell off and started scraping on the ground so I had to stop and completely remove it.  A new one goes on this weekend if I get time.

On the way back we stopped overnight in northern france and stumbled on a UK classic car club.20230630_190057.thumb.jpg.47f23a53456d4fd2753991fe5c6504d9.jpg20230630_190726.thumb.jpg.96c969d1fd6a832b08692c54b5690ca7.jpg

H'mm Sunbeam Tiger 😊

Mate of mine has one, same colour with a GT40 engine & 5 speed 'box.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

H'mm Sunbeam Tiger 😊

Mate of mine has one, same colour with a GT40 engine & 5 speed 'box.

This one is a Tiger 260.  I remember back in the 80s one or two friends having alpines and coveting the unaffordable for us Tiger.

I met the group of enthuisiasts and the gentleman who owns the Tiger has had it for many years.  He was nice enough to remark on the E39 and said he once had one.

I suspect your friend's car is one of the last few with the 289 V8.

Many have been reimported to the UK from America where most went and converted to RHD.

Alpines and Tigers are the opposite to E39s.  The Tiger got rack and pinion steering so as to fit a V8 engine, wheras the Alpine with a 4 cyl engine had recirculating ball.  E39 V8s don't have rack and pinion so as to fit a V8.

Lovely Sunbeam anyway in a lovely colour.

Edited by Dbcrd

Given the crank centreline is the same height on 6 and 8 cyl cars, I'm sure BMW could have configured the 8 cyl sump to accomodate the steering rack, just like it did for the 6 cyl. 

My mate's Tiger is a '65 & was also imported back into the UK in the 'eighties when it too was converted to RHD. He fitted PAS from a Mazda, probably the only one (certainly in the UK) to be so adapted. Engine is a 305 ci & the car has been recently fitted with a custom built alloy radiator as keeping the lump cool, especially in summer traffic, is a perennial problem.

8 hours ago, norseman said:

My mate's Tiger is a '65 & was also imported back into the UK in the 'eighties when it too was converted to RHD. He fitted PAS from a Mazda, probably the only one (certainly in the UK) to be so adapted. Engine is a 305 ci & the car has been recently fitted with a custom built alloy radiator as keeping the lump cool, especially in summer traffic, is a perennial problem.

Most Tigers from Rootes group factory in Coventry were Ford 260.  In the last year of manufacture a few hundred 289s were made.  People have made 305s using a 289 block and 302 internals so suggests an engine swap.

Interestingly the gentleman with the red 260 said there are about 300 in the UK, many reimported from the US.  Probably more then than E39 530i Sport Tourings

6 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Most Tigers from Rootes group factory in Coventry were Ford 260.  In the last year of manufacture a few hundred 289s were made.  People have made 305s using a 289 block and 302 internals so suggests an engine swap.

Interestingly the gentleman with the red 260 said there are about 300 in the UK, many reimported from the US.  Probably more then than E39 530i Sport Tourings

GT40 crated engine I believe, not sure where the 5 sp. 'box originated from.

• 1 month later...

Gave it an overdue wash and wax which reminded me how much i like it so treated it to some love - think i'm going to invest in some paint and keep it a while longer.

IMG_0669.thumb.jpg.4a4be89ef471bd4d0b0e0bdb4e120e3b.jpg

Fitted new tailgate and glass struts!

IMG_0690.thumb.jpg.dd20e460296f09abce468d2e0c266fb0.jpg

Also used my chassis ears to diagnose the suspension clonk, ignore the rusty hub, now cleaned - washed car yesterday - connected microphones to TCA's, ARB, droplink, damper and TRE and went for a drive.

You can hear clonk normally so with headphones you listen to each source in turn to isolate the component - bingo drop links - assumed it would be as TCAs, dampers and top mounts are pretty recent.

Tested the top mount anyway with the bounce test.

IMG_0693.thumb.jpg.3c31eb24f8769e98f49b1e3112f634be.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Starbuck88 said:

Replaced the drivers door lock actuator....

20230901_182213.thumb.jpg.a6b2e7056fd80e6fe354d13290e6b78c.jpg

And fixed both the A Pillar trim fabric that had fallen off I'm guessing due to age and the heat we've had this year... took them out and used contact spray adhesive.

20230902_172939.thumb.jpg.616cb582b64ffa1b74528abae51d1128.jpg

20230902_175056.thumb.jpg.fe25137793ea87ae4d9e2e68e24ad70e.jpg

What a coincidence.  I've been meaning to do mine for over a year.  The driver's side is much worse.  Finally got around to doing that side yesterday morning.  

You made a much tidier job of yours than I did of mine.

• Like 1

Replaced one of the centre caps for the 19" Alpina alloys. One of mine had become deformed sometime over the years and I always wanted to replace it with a straight one - you have to swap the rotating centre cap mechanism and the lock over but it looks a lot better now.

I've kept the old one - I might pop it in the oven to see if I can soften it just enough to straighten it.

• Like 1

MoT time - passed with no advisories. Not bad for 231.493 miles! I fixed one of the Tailgate LED sidelights beforehand, I'll post that separately as it involved a Dremel, a soldering iron and some two pack epoxy.

• Like 3

Made a custom crate to make the most out of the space at the back of the boot. It's entirely out of scrap (mix of plywood, mdf and pallet boards), no expense spared...🤣, It's as big as possible whilst still able to wiggle out of the boot.

Now all the breakdown/emergency supplies, tyre inflator, spare bulbs, fault scanner, jump leads, troller jack, top-up fluids etc etc are contained and not destructively mingling with the shopping on the way home. The mad thing is how rarely I've needed anything over the years for my own cars but rescued enough friends and strangers to want it all in there juuuust in case...

IMG-20230907-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.92a2bdb8e3db9033a6f6b1a1582ac764.jpegIMG-20230907-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.50b713049cbfead6c7b640f767b55f74.jpeg