Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

2 minutes ago, danb1979 said:

Yup; 4 of them is enough pal; enjoyed them all, the touring the most. But I want to get back something more modern...

We're thinking an F31 and F11 touring; just need to find the right one with the right spec and that's not listed at a piss-take price...

More than likely sit on it until the New Year & then see what crops up

Talk to Duncan Re the F11 touring, he is not so sure, about his despite being more modern. I actually like the F10.

16 hours ago, Steve VH said:

Talk to Duncan Re the F11 touring, he is not so sure, about his despite being more modern. I actually like the F10.

I seriously considered an F11 535i at one point but couldn't justify it the amount I don't drive.  Plus there is alot to go wrong on them and not so sure build quality is as good as it used to be.

I actually hired a brand new F11 (2 litre diesel) at one point for a week on holiday in France.  It had loads of bells and whistles even a head up display.

Funny thing is when I got back into my E39 after the holiday I preferred the E39.

• Like 1

I got a reply from Alpina wrt NOx levels for my 2001 B10 V8 Touring. To comply with ULEZ legislation (and other clean air City areas) the NOx levels have to be below 0.08 g/km and Alpina have confirmed the B10 V8 level is 0.0627 g/km - pretty good I though for a 21 year old 4.6 litre V8, until I read on to discover my 25 year old 5.7 litre V12 Alpina engine also complies with a NOx level of just 0.0272 g/km !!!

Edit: I washed the E39 too!

Edited by Sharkfan

Not today but last weekend. Put a bottle of Techron Fuel system cleaner in the car and filled up with petrol.  I had been wondering if the car was not as smooth as usial

Maybe psychological but it seems to me that the car is now running much better.

12 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

I got a reply from Alpina wrt NOx levels for my 2001 B10 V8 Touring. To comply with ULEZ legislation (and other clean air City areas) the NOx levels have to be below 0.08 g/km and Alpina have confirmed the B10 V8 level is 0.0627 g/km - pretty good I though for a 21 year old 4.6 litre V8, until I read on to discover my 25 year old 5.7 litre V12 Alpina engine also complies with a NOx level of just 0.0272 g/km !!!

Edit: I washed the E39 too!

That's good news.  I assume it's because Alpinas are rare and not on TFL database, unlike my more run of the mill 2002 cars 530i and 330ci. I looked these up and they are on the TFL system as compliant.  I guess you submit these documents for your cars to TFL and they register the cars as they are UK market vehicles so should all be fine.

This is what put me off getting a Japanese import.  I am in one of these zones and from what I have seen on the forums nobody has managed to get an M54 engine E39 recognised as far as i could see.

Edited by Dbcrd

Took the M5 for its yearly trip down to Bishopsworth in Bristol yesterday; just an oil service this year. We filled the last space in its original service book last year so I had purchased a new one for this year's stamp.

Got it home and gave it a good snow foam then wash and wax before putting it back in the warm for the rest of winter!

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped the car off at Lee Shannon’s in Bentley for a rear suspension link and subframe bush refresh.

It’s going to be slightly delayed though as another customer of his who has been warned about a long overdue timing chain change on his 2.0d X2 had the timing chain snap on the way to the garage 😳

A big bill became a much bigger bill - poor fella.

3 hours ago, pupjoint said:

got this billet PS reservoir from Turner during the last Black Friday sales. 

004898LA01SKT - Turner Triple Baffled Power Steering Reservoir - Straight Mount | Turner Motorsport

found out the original in the car is from 2001, so kinda time for a replacement i guess. 

turner1.jpg

turner2.jpg

turner3.jpg

turner4.JPG

turner5.JPG

turner6.jpg

I've seen those before for the E39 and E46.  A truly lovely piece of kit.  They ought to be for well over £200 compared to the normal one at about £15.  The regular one is sort of a service part - when the filter goes you change the whole tank.  With the Turner you can clean the filter.

Very nice I must say.  I wonder if it is possible to get stainless steel braided hoses made up to go with it.

58 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

I've seen those before for the E39 and E46.  A truly lovely piece of kit.  They ought to be for well over £200 compared to the normal one at about £15.  The regular one is sort of a service part - when the filter goes you change the whole tank.  With the Turner you can clean the filter.

Very nice I must say.  I wonder if it is possible to get stainless steel braided hoses made up to go with it.

the connections are ORB O ring fittings, so yes they can be fitted with AN braided hoses with the correct adapters, but i havent explored that option as my stock hoses are still new. 

the Turner tank also holds an extra 0.45l fluid. 

I have only done about 300kms since installation

• Like 1

removed the 18mm rear roll bar as i find it a bit 'twitchy' for my liking, replaced with a 16.5mm bar from M5, fitted the Power Beast brackets at the same time.  also fitted a newly blasted and powdercoated bracket, not sure what its called

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

eibach1.jpg

eibach2.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pupjoint said:

i got these from FB marketplace USA. not sure what it's called or exact function, but they are off an E39 M5. 

got them powdercoated, ordered new fitting kit will try them out on my car

m5bar.jpg

m5bar2.jpg

m5barA.jpg

m5barB.jpg

Maybe you should start a thread in the  Projects section and put all these interesting things in so people who want to can follow the story as you improve your car. Just a thought as things sort of get lost in this section over time.  I find these things interesting.

• Like 1

Just ordered a new FSU, yup it's 'doing a handstand in the drivers seat to change the hedgehog' time. Last had to do it on my 528 ten years ago. Hope I'm still flexible enough to reach it 😉

New Bosch battery fitted last weekend as mine wasn't holding charge for more than 2-3 days. Presumed battery as it was going on 5 years old. Went out to start the car today and very sluggish again. Meter showed 12.38v on that brand new battery. Only then did I put two and two together and remember that recently the heater had seemed a bit 'mind of its own'.

Should have figured it out earlier, and now see that the old battery has taken a full charge in my garage after being removed and hasn't dropped since. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

Maybe you should start a thread in the  Projects section and put all these interesting things in so people who want to can follow the story as you improve your car. Just a thought as things sort of get lost in this section over time.  I find these things interesting.

i will work on that. need to sort out the pics first

7 hours ago, pupjoint said:

i got these from FB marketplace USA. not sure what it's called or exact function, but they are off an E39 M5. 

got them powdercoated, ordered new fitting kit will try them out on my car

m5bar.jpg

m5bar2.jpg

m5barA.jpg

m5barB.jpg

They look like they are brace rods for the rear axle carrier, given the power of the M5, the rear axle carrier could be prone to strong torsional forces.

Yesterday I fitted the new air-springs to my Touring and was very pleased to hear the pump kick in and raise the back end up to normal working height.  Today I'll put all the stuff back in, like the spare wheel and towing gear and take it for a test drive.

sent my m5 cluster for pixel repaired and swapped over. always prefer the look and the oil temp gauge on the m5 cluster over the useless to me MPG gauge. too bad i dont have anyone local to me who can adjust the odometer, so will have to use as is

clus1.jpg

clus2.jpg

clus6.jpg

• Like 1

Changed the bonnet struts because a week or so a gust of wind blew the bonnet down on my head.

New "Febi" struts from Motormec.  Actually they come in a Febi bag but the struts inside are Stabilus, which I believe to be the original equipment.

What should have been a five minuute job turned into three quarters of an hour because I dropped a small screwdriver in the engine bay.  So magnet fishing and partially removing undertray to get it out.

20230122_132908.thumb.jpg.70d994ae37a9c1bf5fbb958056f8c84d.jpg

On 11/01/2023 at 11:14, pupjoint said:

Hi Pupjoint, what are your thoughts on the Gruppe M filter?  It's a lovely looking bit of kit.  Do you think it gives anything other than some intake noise?  They've been annoying recently and trying to tell myself to move on!

Cheers

On 11/01/2023 at 11:14, pupjoint said:

turner5.JPG

turner6.jpg