Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Annual pre-mot handbrake adjustment 🙄

Did you remove the wheels, can you pin point for me the location of the adjusting cog on the brakes on both sides, using the clock/watch face, and hands. My handbrake is virtually non existent, so a proper adjustment at the wheels, and handbrake lever is called for in the first instance.

Steve as you ask, yes i can.

Bascially both at the rear of the disc adjacent to the caliper. a smidge below 9 o'clock on OS and 3 o'clock NS.

On drivers (OS) you lever adjuster away from hub and toward hub on passenger (NS)

Get a good torch and you can see the adjuster, its fiddly but do able.

I stripped and cleaned the drivers side (as per pictures) but simply adjusted passenger as light going.

I nipped them up so i couldn't turn disc then back off a touch, then tightend cables on 2 clicks - seems ok but MOT will tell!

Forgive back plates, cars on 193k now!

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7572.jpg

Note this is a touring, believe the saloons are different.

• Like 1

Ta Duncan, I will have a go at  adjusting the wheel with a long screw driver hopefully without removing the caliper, and disc/drum, now I know the precise location, and the direction to turn the adjusting wheel.

The set up should be the same across the whole E39 range, seeing they all have a piss poor handbrake. 

Yesterday:

Washed, waxed, plugged into trickle charge, tucked away and it goes live on Car & Classic auctions on Friday:

washed1.jpg

washed2.jpg

washed3.jpg

Edited by danb1979

18 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Touring handbrake piccies

Cheers Duncan, I don't need this yet on my current touring, but as every E39 I've had previously has ended up having to be parked front wheels in to the kerb to make up for pisspoor handbrake, I'm sure it'll come in useful one day so added to my increasingly hefty car OneNote for later reference!

Edited by PZero

Like Fred i fitted my winter wheels and tyres today, took the opportunity to fit a new front brake pad wear sensor. When i did discs and pads a few weeks back i found the sensor i had "in stock" was not e39. Temporarily i shorted the plug to remove the light but now it has the proper sensor - genunine BMW off ebay.

Down side is i'm investigating a long brake pedal and fluid loss post MOT. Hopefully will have the answer tomorrow...

A long brake pedal travel needs investigating, I would put my money on air in the system, perished brake hoses  or a failing master cylinder. One of the few negatives of the E39 range is having to remove the cabin filter to gain access to the master cylinder, such a safety critical component should be instantly visible.

Got my E39 back from 'The man' after he identified and made a shopping list of rear suspension links/mounts/ball joints and bits and pieces which he'll do in early January. He was going to try and squeeze it in before Christmas but he's simply too busy so I took my car out of his queue to take the pressure off. 

Whilst underneath it he noticed power steering fluid in the engine undertray - he reckons it was from the squeeze clamps under the reservoir so recommended I take them off when I get home and replace with jubilee clips - so hoses cleaned, jubilee clips put in place and level checked.

I also noticed the front PDC not working again - it turns out I disturbed one of the tie-wraps that hold some of the old worn connectors together when I was taking a photograph for the E39 PDC sensor thread the other day 😄 INPA to identify the culprit, two seconds work and I have working PDC again.

17 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Got my E39 back from 'The man' after he identified and made a shopping list of rear suspension links/mounts/ball joints and bits and pieces which he'll do in early January. He was going to try and squeeze it in before Christmas but he's simply too busy so I took my car out of his queue to take the pressure off. 

Whilst underneath it he noticed power steering fluid in the engine undertray - he reckons it was from the squeeze clamps under the reservoir so recommended I take them off when I get home and replace with jubilee clips - so hoses cleaned, jubilee clips put in place and level checked.

I also noticed the front PDC not working again - it turns out I disturbed one of the tie-wraps that hold some of the old worn connectors together when I was taking a photograph for the E39 PDC sensor thread the other day 😄 INPA to identify the culprit, two seconds work and I have working PDC again.

Assuming that's your V8 touring I think you will notice a massive difference.  I got most of my E39 touring rear suspension done a while back by MJF near Dorking with parts I supplied and it was a transformation.  These cars can pass MOTs year in and year out with worn suspension parts in my experience.

I changed all the links and the rose bushes (old ones made the car squeak).  Plus rear subframe bushes and ARB bushes I recall.

There are a lot "while you are in there" jobs and I also got the rigid brake lines changed.  Half wish I'd also changed the fuel pipes.

What I didn't change was the swing arm inner bushes.  At the time, unlike the E53, they were not available separately and one had to buy whole arms at North of £500 each.  Whilst they still aren't from BMW, as far as I am aware, they are from others.  Typical part I think is FEBEST BMAB 010 (and 011) from Autodoc. If I had known they had been available at the time I would have considered fitting those, depending on the work needed.  Depends also if anything is Alipina specific.

What I really wish I'd changed was the diff bushings and maybe the smaller ones on the subframe. I can now tell they are a bit worn.  Job for later I guess.

Just a brain dump of my experience for what it's worth.  You may well know it already or have different views.

Edited by Dbcrd

Thanks Dbcrd - the guy I use, Lee Shannon out at Bentley near Farnham, knows this generation of cars like the back of his hand and despite the cost sometimes when there is a decision to make I always ask him ‘what would you do if it was your car?’

He already identified a list of buggered, worn and wearing components already so when I went to discuss it with him we drifted into the ‘while you’re in there’ list. 

I’ll email him your musings and we’ll see if the shopping list gets longer…

😀

1 hour ago, Sharkfan said:

Thanks Dbcrd - the guy I use, Lee Shannon out at Bentley near Farnham, knows this generation of cars like the back of his hand and despite the cost sometimes when there is a decision to make I always ask him ‘what would you do if it was your car?’

He already identified a list of buggered, worn and wearing components already so when I went to discuss it with him we drifted into the ‘while you’re in there’ list. 

I’ll email him your musings and we’ll see if the shopping list gets longer…

😀

You're welcome.  Mark at MJF is similar.  As he's quite far from me so I have in the past asked him to do things I worry about the local people I use having trouble with.  Plus i like to see what he has in.  Has been 3.0csi or 2002 turbos in the past.

But then again local mechanic guy that did most of the jobs locally has his own E39.

My view is that I can't treat the E39 as a cheap banger so I end up spending on quite a lot of "while you are in there" jobs.  Easier to justify when its an Alpina but same.principle with my 530i sport touring. Car probably costs me the same as a newer golf or something but anyway.7

I've got the same PS leak issue on the E46 that you mentioned.  Just as I did with the E39, I will change the reservoir and both two front hoses.  Note the reservoir is a service item really as it has a filter that cannot be changed on its own.  Already bought the parts.

Edited by Dbcrd

Just now, Steve VH said:

Have you had enough of them, what are you getting next Dan?

Yup; 4 of them is enough pal; enjoyed them all, the touring the most. But I want to get back something more modern...

We're thinking an F31 and F11 touring; just need to find the right one with the right spec and that's not listed at a piss-take price...

More than likely sit on it until the New Year & then see what crops up