Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

On 23/09/2022 at 17:29, danb1979 said:

Folk say they've done it on the drive; but for me, up in the air and it's much, much easier!

Proper tool (like the Franklin one I've got, lots of WD40 and away you go) 👍🏼

I've done e28s and e34 touring on the drive.  With a professional quality tool it was fairly easy.

I suspect the e39 saloon would not be much worse as the bushings are about the same size.

The e39 touring defeated me on the drive.  I had a good solid tool but could only get the bushes half way out.  I had to press them back in and take to am indie.  Who incidentally used the special tool I provided.

The e39 touring bushes are massive and another kettle of fish.

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Style 48?

Probably. 

I've had them since 2010 when I bought the car.  I bought 2 sets of 4 and made a set of 5 wheels.

They get put on in November and taken off around March or April.

16s and narrower tyres are supposed to be better in winter - at least that is what i read when i was researching winter set-ups.

Incidentally I changed my e46 to 17 inch style 68s (square) and all season tyres as I have no room left in the garage for any more wheels to run a winter set up.  That plus new rear shocks and it's night and day better for me at least than the 18 inch staggered MV2s.  Much more comfortable ride and less understeer.  Feels really neutral.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

I've done e28s and e34 touring on the drive.  With a professional quality tool it was fairly easy.

I suspect the e39 saloon would not be much worse as the bushings are about the same size.

The e39 touring defeated me on the drive.  I had a good solid tool but could only get the bushes half way out.  I had to press them back in and take to am indie.  Who incidentally used the special tool I provided.

The e39 touring bushes are massive and another kettle of fish.

I get that; but when you've a pal who's a professional motorsport mechanic and lets you abuse his ramps when they're free, then it'd be rude not to 😉 

But agree; the right tool makes ALL the difference!

The Franklin one I have now was superb; I must make more effort into selling it!

2 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Probably. 

I've had them since 2010 when I bought the car.  I bought 2 sets of 4 and made a set of 5 wheels.

16s and narrower tyres are supposed to be better in winter - at least that is what i read when i was researching winter set-ups.

Incidentally I changed my e46 to 17 inch style 68s (square) and all season tyres as I have no room left in the garage for any more wheels to run a winter set up.  That plus new rear shocks and it's night and day better for me at least than the 18 inch staggered MV2s.  Much more comfortable ride and less understeer.  Feels really neutral.

Yup; Style 48s

Hadn't realised they fit over the larger 324mm brakes!

Thought only the Style 33s did in 16" flavour

Edited by danb1979

1 hour ago, danb1979 said:

I get that; but when you've a pal who's a professional motorsport mechanic and lets you abuse his ramps when they're free, then it'd be rude not to 😉 

But agree; the right tool makes ALL the difference!

The Franklin one I have now was superb; I must make more effort into selling it!

Agreed.  Don't have any pals like that nearby sadly.  Relative runs a workshop up north but too far away.

7 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Probably. 

Interesting, I run Michelin PS4/5 (i forget which) but wont be using it in crap weather but i don't push it so can't say I've ever neared its limits, just not that kind of car for me.

7 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Not 'exactly' today but through  the year I have collecting wood for winter heating on our open fire - you just can't do this with a saloon no matter how hard you try...

IMG_0067.thumb.jpg.12179b44201a8da83e1d7491dd6e812d.jpg

IMG_5694.thumb.jpg.be8748b9bc2274947fca1a39d625aff8.jpg

I dont have a picture but with the ski bag in my e36 M3 saloon I bought 6' of driftwood back from holiday which is now my mantle piece but granted i wouldn't have got that much in!

I miss that car - great all rounder.

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Interesting, I run Michelin PS4/5 (i forget which) but wont be using it in crap weather but i don't push it so can't say I've ever neared its limits, just not that kind of car for me.

That is what came on my car and was the typical factory supplied set up.  Staggered 18 inch wheels.

Mine also came with awful spacers which caused the rear tyres to rub on the arches at times.

I changed to a square 17 inch set up because I'm used to that with the e39 and found the ride with the 18s too harsh. Plus the tyres are much cheaper.  Not sure which made the most difference the wheel change or the new rear shocks but I'm much happier with it.

I suspect I could race around bends better with 18s but I don't really push the car either.

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

That is what came on my car and was the typical factory supplied set up.  Staggered 18 inch wheels.

Mine also came with awful spacers which caused the rear tyres to rub on the arches at times.

I changed to a square 17 inch set up because I'm used to that with the e39 and found the ride with the 18s too harsh. Plus the tyres are much cheaper.  Not sure which made the most difference the wheel change or the new rear shocks but I'm much happier with it.

I suspect I could race around bends better with 18s but I don't really push the car either.

The tourings, IMO, drive & handle best on the 17 Style 66s with decent tyres

Mine drove superbly; but it should have done with all the work I did and the upgraded Arnott bags and rear E39 M5 ARB (which I'll always highly recommend)

It did drive great on the 18s I had; but it wasn't as comfy nor did it take fast bends as well... But they do look the part, I get that!

34 minutes ago, danb1979 said:

Mine drove superbly; but it should have done with all the work I did and the upgraded Arnott bags and rear E39 M5 ARB (which I'll always highly recommend)

It did drive great on the 18s I had; but it wasn't as comfy nor did it take fast bends as well... But they do look the part, I get that!

He's talking about 18's on the e46 - that was factory set up. I have no qualms with 17" on my e39 though 😉

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

He's talking about 18's on the e46 - that was factory set up. I have no qualms with 17" on my e39 though 😉

Style 68 17 inch was also a factory set-up.  Especially on earlier e46s.  Staggered typically though the factory winter set-up was square.

However looking at this it seems M3 was square and others staggered.  

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/68

Edited by Dbcrd

2 hours ago, danb1979 said:

It's my opinion that your summary applies also to the E46

2 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Nah, you need 19's on an E39 Touring 😉

E39 MoT passed today - 167k miles - no advisories

2 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Nah, you need 19's on an E39 Touring 😉

E39 MoT passed today - 167k miles - no advisories

That's what is so good about this forum.  Different opinions.  No advisories for my lesser e39 touring 530i on 17s recently.  Only 139k.

Having had roof respray recently, reinstalled roof rails (which I really didn't want to, the smooth look has grown on me very much, but 'solid' gutter trim is too much agro / cost to obtain). Seeing as this involves roof lining out - which in turn requires a whole bunch of other trim out to remove lining without bending or folding - took the opportunity to run the wiring for reversing camera in my touring.

Thought about it previously, but was put off by thought of having to try to push a phono plug and other wires through the rubber tube to the tailgate... So I didn't. Traced the reverse light back and tapped it on the body side for the reverse trigger, and using a wireless transmitter / receiver for video feed. Too dark to finish the job today, I shall resume tomorrow.

2 hours ago, PZero said:

Having had roof respray recently, reinstalled roof rails (which I really didn't want to, the smooth look has grown on me very much, but 'solid' gutter trim is too much agro / cost to obtain). Seeing as this involves roof lining out - which in turn requires a whole bunch of other trim out to remove lining without bending or folding - took the opportunity to run the wiring for reversing camera in my touring.

Thought about it previously, but was put off by thought of having to try to push a phono plug and other wires through the rubber tube to the tailgate... So I didn't. Traced the reverse light back and tapped it on the body side for the reverse trigger, and using a wireless transmitter / receiver for video feed. Too dark to finish the job today, I shall resume tomorrow.

Linky for the wireless camera you chose please? I have often thought about doing this but not got round to doing it.

21 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Linky for the wireless camera you chose please? I have often thought about doing this but not got round to doing it.

Having it now permanently wired and fitted (only tested it off a 12v battery and plugged into my TV until now), not sure I can recommend the wireless approach.

Testing regularly during install to ensure everything still works at various stages was limited to a few seconds at a time, just to confirm power and signal. Having now had a longer test drive with it, a few issues have become apparent. So many in fact that I'm contemplating starting a dedicated reverse cam thread.

Any interest?

That pretty much is what I did on my touring and its been working fine for 3 years.  I used a camera that looks even better than the OEM retrofit.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.  Used a relay powered by the feed to the redundant CD changer.  All it needs is one more wire through the tailgate grommet at the base of the window.  No need for phono plugs through grommets.

12 hours ago, PZero said:

Having it now permanently wired and fitted (only tested it off a 12v battery and plugged into my TV until now), not sure I can recommend the wireless approach.

Testing regularly during install to ensure everything still works at various stages was limited to a few seconds at a time, just to confirm power and signal. Having now had a longer test drive with it, a few issues have become apparent. So many in fact that I'm contemplating starting a dedicated reverse cam thread.

Any interest?

8 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

That pretty much is what I did on my touring and its been working fine for 3 years.  I used a camera that looks even better than the OEM retrofit.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.  Used a relay powered by the feed to the redundant CD changer.  All it needs is one more wire through the tailgate grommet at the base of the window.  No need for phono plugs through grommets.

I've started a specific thread to get the ideas in one place and not lose them in this thread...

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/1049-e39-reverse-camera-thread/

On 03/10/2022 at 08:55, Dbcrd said:

That's the one.  By coincidence I'm on the bus home having dropped the car off at Ian Taylor's for a front end refresh and a few other jobs.

I use Ian now as I had a poor experience with another body shop before that.

Thanks again.

I didn't know you were in my manor, so to speak.

Not had reason to use Ian's services for some time now, actually over two years when he sorted out a minor scuff and dent on my 540.

On 13/11/2022 at 21:58, duncan-uk said:

I will do a how too thread elsewhere but today i replaced the top mounts, bump stops, gaiters, discs and pads ahead of its MOT. Still the annual handbrake adjust and rear door vapour barrier to sort and really should fit the tailgate struts i have knocking about. really should think about moving the old girl on but it really is a brillant all rounder.

Please to say the clonk has gone though my body is now creaky and groaning.

Spoke too soon, top mounts needed doing but wasnt them it seems.

Suspension wise i'm at a bit of a loss, its had TCAs, top mounts, ARB bushes, dampers and shocks in fairly recent history.

Its also had hub knuckles and bearings so pretty much a new front end.

Yes new parts can fail but thinking it maybe elsewhere, something in the shell, drive line or an engine mount.

Struggling to define the exact trigger as its doesnt matter if on/ off power, braking, smooth or rough road or bump dependent.

Getting serious now!

IMG_7566.thumb.jpg.e8a53611bdab29d893d211f700159d73.jpg