Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

Well it's been lashing it down here...

So decided I needed to pop out to do some chores 😂

The new Lemforder rear subframe bushes have made a superb change to how the car rides & handles now; as has the M5 rear ARB - so much flatter in the bends and the looseness of the back end has gone!

I'm pleased to report that the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 3 tyres are brilliant in the wet and very grippy (and in the dry too)👌🏼

Cannot wait to see how it feels with new Sachs shocks & Eibach pro kit springs fitted! 😉 

Replaced injector no.2 and all 6 glow plugs! Just been out for a drive and pulling like a train again and no longer hard starting! 

Hopefully won’t be starting as rough when the cold hits with a set of new plugs. 

Looks like I need to change out the thermostat which seems to be stuck open - car takes awhile to warm up on a couple of the colder mornings recently.

19 hours ago, danb1979 said:

Well it's been lashing it down here...

So decided I needed to pop out to do some chores 😂

The new Lemforder rear subframe bushes have made a superb change to how the car rides & handles now; as has the M5 rear ARB - so much flatter in the bends and the looseness of the back end has gone!

I'm pleased to report that the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 3 tyres are brilliant in the wet and very grippy (and in the dry too)👌🏼

Cannot wait to see how it feels with new Sachs shocks & Eibach pro kit springs fitted! 😉 

How difficult are the subframe bushes to get to? Is this a driveway diy or does it need to be up on a lift to get under the car properly?

1 hour ago, Harry Rai said:

How difficult are the subframe bushes to get to? Is this a driveway diy or does it need to be up on a lift to get under the car properly?

Folk say they've done it on the drive; but for me, up in the air and it's much, much easier!

Proper tool (like the Franklin one I've got, lots of WD40 and away you go) 👍🏼

Picked up the car from the garage - it was in to look at why the rear suspension was gradually dropping when parked up. Wanted to look at this myself, but sadly I haven't had much time for the old girl at the mo as all my attention has been focused on the Mini...... engine just gone back in after a year 😁

20220821_134544.thumb.jpg.c74523df3ce8a1261b8da61a5af5f222.jpg

Anyway, they discovered that there had been a long term water leak in the boot which had played havoc with the wiring of the air supply device. So much so that a new one was required...ouch!

Sadly the boot floor had also suffered and had started to rust.....

20220816_173846.thumb.jpg.e34a7e45a1cb99e691a9685ad1e9ac06.jpg

The rear vents were suspected so these were replaced.......

20220816_174247.thumb.jpg.de7a854b486d1e41fdc354ac30d4340f.jpg

......but still water came in when they tested for leaks!

They continued to strip out the rear and test until they discovered that the water was actually entering the boot via a drain in the fuel filler recess. Hard to see, as when the filler flap is open it obscures the pesky thing. Must admit in all my years of ownership I never knew it was there. 

Apparently not all E39s have it either.......here's a link giving more info from another forum......

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/e39-trunk-leak-gas-filler-recess.551024/

It would seem that BMW omitted to fit a drain tube!!!!! Easiest remedy - blank it off!

All sorted now and leak cured, but check to see if you have the same.....might just save you a potentially  expensive parts ( and in my case labour) bill.🙄

On 11/09/2022 at 10:53, Dbcrd said:

I took what might be a similar approach.  I had no way of knowing what the issue was or any expertise to offer to fix it, or anything constructive to contribute, so I monitored the face book page and kept quiet.

I think there is a searchable place with all the old history available which is good and we will soon add a load of knowledge.

By the way.  My car goes back to Ian Taylor soon for more TLC.  I think it was you that recommended him so if so thanks again.

The Ian Taylor in Horley?

Nothing today but did dig out some brake pads and a sensor in stick ready for a front brake pad change that’s due as have triggered the wear sensor. 

Usually I’d spot that but the Mrs has racked up the miles lately for varous reasons and i've not had much chance to look the car over!

On 25/09/2022 at 08:07, Loadmaster V2 said:

The Ian Taylor in Horley?

That's the one.  By coincidence I'm on the bus home having dropped the car off at Ian Taylor's for a front end refresh and a few other jobs.

I use Ian now as I had a poor experience with another body shop before that.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally put new valve cover gaskets in and stripped/repainted the covers. See before and after pics. Oil leaks have stopped now, so soon I'll be doing a full fluid and filter service. Still have an issue with the wheel speed sensors or ABS module which is grumbling and throwing an ABS error under light braking.

Also replaced the windscreen rubber trim that was crumbling to pieces.

I'm liking this car more and more, even though it was the one I thought I'd sell first. Probably going to let the 530i go, as it's under 100k and not a particularly exciting spec being an SE. Runs beautifully since the Vanos and gearbox got sorted - I just don't have the space for all of them!

IMG_7385.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_7534.jpeg

Edited by toughguyhuh

Picked the car up from the restorers last night.

Full bare metal paint job on bonnet and front end including front doors.

Found windscreen washers and pdc not working.  Not surprising as the hoses crumbled to nothing.

Fixed the pdc just now reading the codes to find the failed unit and swapped for a spare I had.  From an ebay seller that Dan recommended.  I'd never had any joy before with ebay pdc sensors but these seem fine.

Very happy with the paint job.  Need to do a little TLC on the front leather seats at some point buy don't have much time at the moment and what I do have is dived between E39 and E46.

20221022_153722.jpg

20221022_153730.jpg

Edited by Dbcrd

Rear suspension bags on my touring yesterday. Out with the old, in with the new.

image.jpeg.123f4d0bca258ea860c762122a5922a6.jpeg

Only found out that the tourings have air suspension after I bought it and was dreading the day that a bag needed replacing, but it turned out to be one of the most straight forward jobs I've done on this car, both sides done in two hours start to finish. And nothing else broken in the process, unlike most times I've had to work on this cursed car, result 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my E39 back from a bodyshop last week to discover not only excellent paintwork but also fixed pixels in the mileage windows !!!!

They apparently haven't touched it all but from a few weeks ago where some figures were barely legible the car has miraculously fixed itself.

Over the weekend: Front and rear brake calipers wire brushed & painted enamel silver

This morning: oil sump & gasket replaced (was leaking all round), fresh Mahle filter and Triple QX 5W40 oil used and even treated it to a new OEM BMW dipstick 😉 

6 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Got my E39 back from a bodyshop last week to discover not only excellent paintwork but also fixed pixels in the mileage windows !!!!

They apparently haven't touched it all but from a few weeks ago where some figures were barely legible the car has miraculously fixed itself.

Result! Wish I could say the same for both - Mine is going back into the bodyshop for them to have another crack at the roof, as last job was not as I would have expected, and I'm trying to find a pixel repair place which I can take the car to and get it done there and then.

Cartronix in Hampshire listed such a 'while-u-wait' service but when I called up to book it, they said they don't for E39. Really don't want to have to send my cluster through the post somewhere. 

3 hours ago, PZero said:

Result! Wish I could say the same for both - Mine is going back into the bodyshop for them to have another crack at the roof, as last job was not as I would have expected, and I'm trying to find a pixel repair place which I can take the car to and get it done there and then.

Cartronix in Hampshire listed such a 'while-u-wait' service but when I called up to book it, they said they don't for E39. Really don't want to have to send my cluster through the post somewhere. 

I'd highly recommend Ak Speedo pal...

Absolutely faultless and 3 days turnaround...

Just ensure you wrap and pack the cluster well and it'll be fine 

1 hour ago, PZero said:

Not heard of AK, I'll look into them, cheers for the tip.

No probs; Keiths a good guy. Keeps great comms and will do a great job

He did my KM to MPH cluster conversion, full pixel ribbon install & reprogrammed for £250

• 2 weeks later...

I will do a how too thread elsewhere but today i replaced the top mounts, bump stops, gaiters, discs and pads ahead of its MOT. Still the annual handbrake adjust and rear door vapour barrier to sort and really should fit the tailgate struts i have knocking about. really should think about moving the old girl on but it really is a brillant all rounder.

Please to say the clonk has gone though my body is now creaky and groaning.