Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

Got it back from 'The Man', Lee Shannon, with all new rear suspension links and bushes, axle carrier bushes (and air bags while he was in there' - ye Gods, it drives like new again - it had been increasingly crashing over uneven surfaces and I needed new rear tyres too so I got Lee to do the replacement stuff and this morning took it for two new rear tyres and a Hunter 4 wheel alignment. 

Fabulous again. 

Edited by Sharkfan

I’ve been adding smooth riding too. My son and I changed the front struts and rear shocks for some sub- fifteen thousand mile units from a car he scrapped last year.  Changed the front discs too.  Massive improvement.

21 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

Got it back from 'The Man', Lee Shannon, with all new rear suspension links and bushes, axle carrier bushes (and air bags while he was in there' - ye Gods, it drives like new again - it had been increasingly crashing over uneven surfaces and I needed new rear tyres too so I got Lee to do the replacement stuff and this morning took it for two new rear tyres and a Hunter 4 wheel alignment. 

Fabulous again. 

I had pretty much that same or similar work done on my touring about 3 years ago.  Before I did it the rose bushes used to squeak when people got in and out of the car.  The difference is massive.  I didn't do the diff bushes at the same time and now maybe regret it as I think they may just now be starting to go.

There is so much "while you're in there" work that can be done that it's hard to know where to draw the line.  I did also have corroded rear brake pipes changed for cunifer and Hel braided hoses.  

It wasn't cheap to get done even though I supplied the parts.

Edited by Dbcrd

On 25/01/2023 at 12:38, Sharkfan said:

Fabulous again. 

Good news fella.  I'm hoping for a similar transformation on mine.  Lots of new genuine bolts arrived yesterday.  Still need to confirm the diameters of the anti roll bar bushes though.  

• 3 weeks later...

In the last bout of heavy rain that we experienced, the car went through reasonably deep standing water on my commute to work. Water in the fogs, headlights , airbox ( although thankfully no further ) and the rad was covered with a mush of dead leaves and other assorted debris.

Parked her up and finally found the time at the weekend to address the issues. Lights came out and went in to the house to dry overnight. Changed the air filter - the existing one was soaked! Removed the viscous coupling fan and tried to blow compressed air from the back of the rad to clear the debris. Limited success , so drained the coolant and removed the rad to get the air line on it properly. Whilst I had some extra room to work, I fitted new belts and also fixed the power steering leak by replacing both pipes to the reservoir. New o ring on the cap also. Rad back in and viscous coupling and blades renewed - nothing wrong with the existing one but it is the original and I've always thought of it as a ticking time bomb! Fresh coolant also added, lights refitted and a new set of plugs for good measure.

Thereafter, a well earned cheeky one!!

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.31a6c8f72e87f8da905ca53d2820274b.JPG

About 400 miles - from Surrey to North Devon and back in a day. Great car to do it in - 70mph most of the way down and 31.7 mpg, just a little quicker on the way back but still managed 30.3mpg

(Very) Grubby car to be clean tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharkfan said:

About 400 miles - from Surrey to North Devon and back in a day. Great car to do it in - 70mph most of the way down and 31.7 mpg, just a little quicker on the way back but still managed 30.3mpg

That is going some, the E39 is a bona fide motorway mile muncher, even after all this time, it shows how right the car was when it came out, in airline Pilots idiom,

" If it looks right, then it is right"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

12 hours ago, Steve VH said:

That is going some, the E39 is a bona fide motorway mile muncher, even after all this time, it shows how right the car was when it came out, in airline Pilots idiom,

" If it looks right, then it is right"

That's good going. 

In my 530i Auto, I can get around 30mpg on a run and as you've both said, such a car to do it in.

Due to what I use to do for a living I've driven all sorts, from tiny cars, tiny vans and large vans and brand new luxury barges and the feeling of an E39 (especially the sport imho) just feels like such a well rounded and well sorted car that it really is difficult to beat.

Obviously the newer comparable luxury type cars offer a lot more in tech and safety and very recently I think new cars interiors have finally given the consumer something to think about as I found the E60 and F10 no appreciable step up in anyway shape or form from the E39. Nice but not good enough for me to say...I WANT that.

Tech we can upgrade with fantastic head units these days, I was amazed 20 years ago with my first car that I could get a bluetooth headunit and have handsfree calling with my sony ericsson, look at the android units of today that you can retrofit. You can have an E39 today with android auto/apple car play, reverse camera, DAB+ etc etc

I think the E39 slots into a very special category, I don't see on the roads many other cars of this age of the same type anymore but I do see quite a few E39s still, they're modern enough and well refined enough to not feel like a tin can, they got the chassis and handling right and the design just seems to be timeless.

Washed yesterdays grime off - topped up the ceramic wax and also used some black wax on the black trims such as the wiper arms, scuttle panel and so on. Tyre pressures checked ok,  screen wash topped up, rubbish out, vacuumed and generally tidied up.

Sunny day, so I'll have a wash too. Get rid of the bloody road grime which plagues this time of year.

washing.thumb.jpg.dbc54bd4103ba32e99de43c49bb05411.jpg

Also, a question - Anyone know if the instrument cluster of E39's are coded to the car, or can they just be straight swapped with another? Thinking of sending mine away for pixel repairs, and on the off chance that a courier misplaces it, really could do without drama getting a replacement!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PZero said:

Sunny day, so I'll have a wash too. Get rid of the bloody road grime which plagues this time of year.

washing.thumb.jpg.dbc54bd4103ba32e99de43c49bb05411.jpg

Also, a question - Anyone know if the instrument cluster of E39's are coded to the car, or can they just be straight swapped with another? Thinking of sending mine away for pixel repairs, and on the off chance that a courier misplaces it, really could do without drama getting a replacement!

Cluster has to be coded. Depending on the age changing VIN and mileage can be done via diagnostic cable or the whole circuit on the board has to be flashed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Clavurion, I was afraid of that. Been meaning to get pixels fixed for ages, the place I was going to use is only an hours drive from me and says on their website that they you can bring it in and they'll do it in an hour, but when I phoned them to book appointment they unexpectedly then said that they don't do in person jobs for E39's and I'd have to send it instead.

Being without my car for a couple of days whilst it's in post there and back would be awkward enough due to work and other responsibilities, and if it gets delayed with couriers that would make life really difficult for me. If it's damaged or lost altogether in transit, then the faff of getting a replacement and then finding someone / somewhere to have it coded I just will not have time for.

Maybe I'll just put up with guessing how much range I have left!

MOT yesterday, couple of things to take care of, mostly rubber related on offside front wheel. Drop link cover torn and tie rod boot split. Not too bad to deal with (until likely seized bolts ruin everything like usual).

Small leak from sump gasket. Bugger, that's a sub-frame dropping job, I'll leave that one for a mechanic.

Also an advisory on the rear brake discs, I'll need to do those before next test so will do those and pads whilst there at some point. I recall discussion before on the dearly departed old forum relating to which brand were the dustiest. I replaced my front with Brembo a year ago and they seem to generate a lot of fallout, so want to use something different at the rear.

Several people mentioned a particular brand as good, can't remember if it was Pagid or not?

Edited by PZero

6 hours ago, PZero said:

Small leak from sump gasket. Bugger, that's a sub-frame dropping job, I'll leave that one for a mechanic.

They never really leak that bad. They just keep weeping and weeping. My e46 sump gaskets been leaking since I got it about 2 years ago and it's never left any drips on the driveway. No need to get it fixed if it doesn't bother you much

Gave it a wipe over inside and used a disinfecting citrus odour bomb just to freshen everything up. They are just such a well sorted vehicle.

image.thumb.jpeg.07a20cd493aef003474a7ab5049c08a8.jpeg

Due to lack of use I needed to buy a good charger/maintainer, bought a Noco Genius 10. I needed it for another car but I bought another set of cables so that I can leave a quick connect for the charger left bolted on to both cars.

image.thumb.jpeg.1986300922800b3ad2b1528e68b31577.jpeg

Alternator replaced - a bit of a pain as it's the stupid water-cooled type so MAF and filter, fan, fan shroud, header tank, top hose and fan belt tensioner wheel all out to drop the coolant before remove and replace the alternator itself. Then put it all back together again and hope the chocolate cooling system doesn't spring (another) leak.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally managed to program my key to the central locking! I have a Japanese import and have tried/failed many times to get it to work.. but finally, it worked today!! If anyone has a Japanese import with the same issue, let me know and I'll share the video to what eventually worked for mine. 

On 06/03/2023 at 10:35, Starbuck88 said:

New rear discs and pads 🙂

That was one of my MOT advisories a few weeks ago, saving that job for summer as not serious yet. Remember last time I did the front, which should have been a quick job... but took a whole weekend due to bloody seized bolt. Hopefully I'll have better luck at the back!

On 15/03/2023 at 16:24, PZero said:

That was one of my MOT advisories a few weeks ago, saving that job for summer as not serious yet. Remember last time I did the front, which should have been a quick job... but took a whole weekend due to bloody seized bolt. Hopefully I'll have better luck at the back!

That's bad luck.

I advise everyone to check euros. They had pagid rear discs for £6 today and £14 for fronts for my 530i sport. Bought the discs and pads for £43.

Annoying as it cost me 100 for the rears 2 weeks ago. But hey atleast got a bargain on the fronts!