Forum 5

What did you do to your E39 today?

New OEM ZF transmission switch fitted courtesy of Automatic Transmissions, Preston

Kept getting a '3C transmission switch' error code thrown on the code reader and spoke to Grant there and he said it'll be worn with age and needs to be replaced...

Genuine one from ZF half the price of BMW and no no cluster issues & no error codes 😉 

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes, felt like a bit of a snipe - a lots been going on behind the scenes to get it back up and running.

Not a snipe from Keith

He's one of the few that haven't been gripping about the forum not being available etc...

Got a fine through post today from NCP at Gatwick. Don't forget to pay the £5 drop off fee, or you get a fine which for my brief stop is equivalent to £41.40 per minute.

Still, I like the evidential pic though, nice angle and I'm glad I washed the car before that drop off. Just a shame that their cameras are crappy 720*480 res.

gatwick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PZero said:

Got a fine through post today from NCP at Gatwick. Don't forget to pay the £5 drop off fee, or you get a fine which for my brief stop is equivalent to £41.40 per minute.

Still, I like the evidential pic though, nice angle and I'm glad I washed the car before that drop off. Just a shame that their cameras are crappy 720*480 res.

gatwick.jpg

Sits well 😉 

16 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes, felt like a bit of a snipe - a lots been going on behind the scenes to get it back up and running.

No way Duncan, not a snipe at all.

I had no idea if this forum would reappear ever again - I was just a bit taken aback when all the previous history had gone, so it's very much like starting from scratch again. 

• Thanks 1

No worries - I have no tolerance for gripes at the moment so i'm over sensitive.

So yes I'm afraid it is back to sqaure one we tried long and hard to recover what we had but the best we can do is the snap shot posted. Its a crying shame but we have to move forward.

Its set up in a different way now as we are starting from scratch rather than the prior ad hoc development.

Hoping peoplewill come back and help rebuild!

• Like 3

Not strictly today but MoT'd for another year with one advisory for a balljoint rubber. Odd, as previous owner (Andyrt200) had replaced all the arms a couple of years ago with Meyle HD items.

25 minutes ago, Sten said:

Not strictly today but MoT'd for another year with one advisory for a balljoint rubber. Odd, as previous owner (Andyrt200) had replaced all the arms a couple of years ago with Meyle HD items.

Indeed I did, here’s all the bits that came off on that while I’m at it “quick job”

RIb7mh5.jpg

Glad the old E39 is still going well for you. 

@danb1979 - did you have a similar issue with replacement Meyle arms?

Edited by Andyrt200
Getting Dans new name right!

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Indeed I did, here’s all the bits that came off on that while I’m at it “quick job”

RIb7mh5.jpg

Glad the old E39 is still going well for you. 

@danb1979 - did you have a similar issue with replacement Meyle arms?

Hi pal - good to see you back on here

Nope; no issues like that. Did have a few issues with Moog ball joint boots splitting; just swapped them out under warranty etc. Not with Meyle though

16 hours ago, danb1979 said:

Good to see you back on board pal

Thank you Dan.

I've been watching the Facebook page regularly to see when the forum came back but I'm not on face book to contribute.  Then when it finally did I missed it.

I hope all the original contributors all come back.

Removed the Ferric Grey Style 37s and fitted OEM Silver freshly refurbed Style 66s with Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 3 all-season tyres

The Style 37s have sold

washed3.jpg

To:

66s-1.jpg

Fed the leather seats.

Recently found a crack in the nearside door mirror case.  New OEM ones are fairly expensive and there are cheap Chinese copies on ebay for about £20 plus they come in primer.  Wasn't sure one of those would fit so I bought a whole mirror on ebay on the same colour as my car.

Dismnantled it to get the part I needed.  Bonus is that the glass is perfect condition and the glass on my drivers side is starting to get brown stains round the edges.  I think these glasses are not handed so I can swap that out at some point.

The paint condition on this replacement mirror back is not great (much of it was visible in the pictures) but no great loss.  Will do for now.

The car goes into the body shop next month anyway to tidy up the front end so I may ask if they will paint this mirror back while at it.

I also fixed up the black plastic parts of the mirror with some meguars cream I bought on Amazon.  They had gone very faded and grey.  Complete transformation.

20220910_120242.thumb.jpg.3d3e9cba23b7b9bb7f9f7e4cf114318f.jpg