Forum 5

Any Motorcycle fans here?

Calypso-E34

I wanted to buy another modern classic BMW a while ago, but things have changed since I had my last E34.  Our youngest Daughter has been learning to drive, and has a car now.  SO - Mrs Calypso put her foot down and refused permission for another car in the drive on the basis that we would be forever playing musical cars, and it makes her garden look bad.  I really should have bought one instead of floating the idea, as it is definitely better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Anyway, a compromise was reached, and she said she wouldn't object too much to a bike.  I had been away from bikes for 20 years plus, so I got myself a bit of refresher training, then bought a bike - a 2009 Yamaha XJ-N in immaculate condition.  Had this for a month, and decided that it was a bit busy for me - it had its redline at 12000rpm, and you were in 6th gear at under 50mph!  So - I traded it in for another Yamaha, this time a 2021 Tracer 7 GT - a 700cc twin.  Great bike so far, loads of low down torque, suits me a lot better as I'm not a fast rider really.

I'd still prefer a nice E34 or E32, but it's good fun nevertheless.  If fuel wasn't so damned expensive, I might sell the F10 and get a nice 90s car for daily use!!

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Edited by Calypso-E34
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I wanted to buy another modern classic BMW a while ago, but things have changed since I had my last E34.  Our youngest Daughter has been learning to drive, and has a car now.  SO - Mrs Calypso put her foot down and refused permission for another car in the drive on the basis that we would be forever playing musical cars, and it makes her garden look bad.  I really should have bought one instead of floating the idea, as it is definitely better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Anyway, a compromise was reached, and she said she wouldn't object too much to a bike.  I had been away from bikes for 20 years plus, so I got myself a bit of refresher training, then bought a bike - a 2009 Yamaha XJ-N in immaculate condition.  Had this for a month, and decided that it was a bit busy for me - it had its redline at 12000rpm, and you were in 6th gear at under 50mph!  So - I traded it in for another Yamaha, this time a 2021 Tracer 7 GT - a 700cc twin.  Great bike so far, loads of low down torque, suits me a lot better as I'm not a fast rider really.

I'd still prefer a nice E34 or E32, but it's good fun nevertheless.  If fuel wasn't so damned expensive, I might sell the F10 and get a nice 90s car for daily use!!

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Never been into bikes myself; I'm as aerodynamic as a brick wall 😂

But do like looking at them; FIL had an FJR1300; he's had x3 BMW RS1250's (I think) in a row now and considering his next options...

They've also got a Honda scooter that they take away on the back of their motorhome and it's a little belter; shifts too!

Brings back memories of my string of Nortons.

When SWMBO notices I have been browsing them on eBay or Gumtree she always reminds me that late 70’s is no time to revisit some parts  one’s youth.  😩

• Haha 1

On 09/09/2022 at 10:21, duncan-uk said:

Aaaah why not - i have no plans to go racing but i would quite like to be able to potter along on a sunny day.

Sadly though elderly reborn motorcyclists seem to have quite a high casualty rate nowadays. A combination of careless drivers, relative lack of regular motorcycling and slowing reactions I guess. (And 40-odd years is a long time to be off them!)

Edited by BobA

Let me tell you one thing I discovered.  I had been driving a car for 12 years before I did my training in 1998 and started biking, and I felt that I learned a huge amount about road safety, planning ahead and just good roadcraft.  This stayed with me even after I stopped biking a few years later.

When I decided to get back into biking this year, before I went out on the roads I took a short refresher course, both to refresh my memory and see if a professional rider thought I was safe enough to go back out.  It turns out that everything came back to me pretty quickly, although I am still out there practicing different sorts of riding to gain more confidence.  I will probably look to take further training next spring, and look to continuously learn more.

Riding a bike will never be as safe as being in a car, but if you fancy it, there are ways you can keep risks to a minimum.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

You found your dipstick on that bike of yours yet @Calypso-E34?🤭

My last bike had a dipstick - the current one has a window!  Thing is, if you don't have a centre stand (which I don't) you either need to get the paddock stands out (2, if you want the bike level) or you need someone to hold the bike upright to get a correct reading.  You can't do it on the side stand.  Daft design.

I actually passed my motorocycle test before my driving test, both when I was 17! I hadn't ridden for a good 8 years up until 2020 when I got a motorcycle for commuting to and from work, a Honda CB500X.

Sold it last year, and thinking next year of getting something else, quite like the idea of an 1000cc naked bike, but suppose will see whats on the market when I come to purchase.

Here's a pic of the Honda:

Bike.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Pretty decent looking machine that.  My first bike back in 1998 was a 500cc too - a Suzuki GS500E, and was great for a first bike.

Quite like the GS500E as it goes, nice light bike!

The Honda was a decent bike actually, obviously being a 500 not the fastest bike in the world but it was nice and reliable, and fairly comfortable to ride. Was doing 80 miles a day some days from Reading into London and have no real complaints except the weather!

I've been in to bikes before getting in to cars - love 'em.

Agreed you are way more vulnerable, but personally the freedom I feel when I'm riding I can nowhere near replicate behind a wheel.

This shot was taken of the missus and myself on the Isle of Man , pre-Covid. It's at the Gooseneck at the start of the Mountain climb.....

2017-08-24_00444.thumb.JPG.b301e34c25e614c48df86b7608daeac1.JPG

Same year, but this time parked up with Peel Castle in the background.......

IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.9ae603c882eb016db341bbca30ff16cd.JPG

😎

• Like 2

I've got this old girl too - sadly been off the road for a couple of years. Not really too much to sort, but it's sitting in the queue behind other projects!

Torque to pull out tree stumps and an exhaust note to die for. The pipes have very minimal baffles and a lovely induction sound as there is no air box. It's no wonder I suffer from tinnitus🙄

107.thumb.JPG.9fb29713347e565a65c3497c3d9a5013.JPG

• Like 2

On 13/09/2022 at 14:57, Calypso-E34 said:

Let me tell you one thing I discovered.  I had been driving a car for 12 years before I did my training in 1998 and started biking, and I felt that I learned a huge amount about road safety, planning ahead and just good roadcraft.  This stayed with me even after I stopped biking a few years later.

I agree. Even when I used to bike you developed a deep awareness of your surroundings, traffic, road conditions which I’m sure I still have.

I passed my test on a Bantam 150cc when I was 16 and went straight to a B33 500cc single cylinder, then an A10 650, a Dominator 600, a Goldie 500, a 650SS and finally a 750 and 850 Commando. I doubt if I could manage the weight of any of them now though - well maybe the Bantam but sod that! my last Commando turned into the deposit on our first house and that was the last time I rode a bike!   😐

Edited by BobA
  • Like 1

Yup. Rode Bikes before getting my Car license. Had one since i was 16, so nearly 20 years now and would not be without one. They're my escape from normality, my source. of fun, adventure and exploring. And really one of the few ways you can enjoy the roads at legal speeds, and on deserted country roads. I'm more into my touring and trips away than the day to day commute. 

I got a new to me, R1200GS this year and did 12K miles in 6 months between multiple trips. (Highlands, Rode the Coast of Ireland, multiple 1000 mile long weekends up North, West Country, etc). 

One from Ireland this year, on the Ballagisheen Pass

spacer.png

Edited by dj123
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love bikes, I’ve been riding since I was 16 and had a bike as my only transport for the following 16 years so rode all year round rain or shine. 

I stopped riding big sports bikes a few years back as I just feel they are too much for the road really and difficult to enjoy fully outside a track. In recent years I’ve switched to KTM supermoto’s as you can really ride them hard on backroads without going at stupid speeds. Not much good for distance but great for everything else. 

285DD01C-6810-48D3-AF64-C9D56E81BF95.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kobayashi said:

In recent years I’ve switched to KTM supermoto’s as you can really ride them hard on backroads without going at stupid speeds. Not much good for distance but great for everything else. 

That's a really cool looking thing actually!

• 5 months later...

So today I decided it was about time to get the bike ready for the season. Got the covers off, gave it a wash and checked that everything was as I left it in October.

All that done, pressed the start button and boom!  Started first time!

Had a decent 90 minute run on mixed roads, and had a great time. I’m a bit rusty, but it’s just a case of more miles I think. 

91E2B8BE-EE0D-4AE4-ADC5-AF7CE9009F8E.jpeg

F7F575C3-153D-430C-8CE5-0EBEAEA8AD7D.jpeg

1121713D-4060-4416-BEA2-DE69B0392FD9.jpeg

• Like 1

Soo many nice looking bikes here!

I too passed my bike test before my car, the guy at the test centre noted that’s the correct order 😉

Been riding for 22years, my first was a girly looking Piaggio zip 125 - Did nothing for my street cred!! I’ve had Vespas, thundercat, vfr400 pocket rocket, cb500, then a cbr250r for seven years - another great bike and so reliable. I’ve had my R3 for a year now such a great bike, this bike more than most puts a smile on my face every time I ride it!!

180D6FE2-10A5-4756-A067-2A8D8D9989CC.thumb.jpeg.8df6bbf41db545042db2baf99de4541b.jpeg

Edited by E39Man
  • Like 1