Forum 5

DIY F11 Air Spring replacement

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone been a few weeks since I replaced OSR bag with some success but now both rear bags going flat overnight - but will re inflate on start up and stay inflated all day - it’s been particularly cold and frosty so that may have something to do with the issue of deflating.  Just after some advice on the next steps of diagnosis before forking out on new valve block / new solenoid / new compressor ?  Fairly sure both air bags are not leaking with the soapy test etc .

Hi @0011718

no its been fine for a month but on last two cold frosty mornings both sides have deflated. After startup they inflate in 10-15 secs then stay good all day.   Suspect a leak at the compressor valve block or the discharge air solenoid.

need the better weather before i investigate further but appreciate any diagnosis steps

Replacement of the discharge valve, ( about £20 from Amazon) solved a similar issue on my F11. On dismantling the compressor it was clear the desiccant was over saturated. I was able to dry it out,  but a kit from eBay is an alternative, complete with maintenance parts,  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284003906870.

The air springs have been replaced with low cost Amazon items that visually seemed almost identical to the BMW units.  They perform as well as the originals ( except they stay inflated)  and time will be the test, OK so far after 10 k miles.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @0011718 and @mikefitz will give both of your solutions a try - just waiting on dry weather and a loan of @Andrewamazing hydraulic lift 👍.

car still managing to inflate in the morning in 20 secs and holding pressure during the day.  I managed to find a used but serviceable compressor on fleabay so I can at least swap out and diagnose the compressor on the bench and have a serviceable car ( for the wife ) 

apologise for not getting back sooner but didnt get any notification of your replies.

thanks and will keep you posted on progress 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2023 at 20:51, VPCAPTAIN said:

Thanks @0011718 and @mikefitz will give both of your solutions a try - just waiting on dry weather and a loan of @Andrewamazing hydraulic lift 👍.

car still managing to inflate in the morning in 20 secs and holding pressure during the day.  I managed to find a used but serviceable compressor on fleabay so I can at least swap out and diagnose the compressor on the bench and have a serviceable car ( for the wife ) 

apologise for not getting back sooner but didnt get any notification of your replies.

thanks and will keep you posted on progress 👍

Did you manage to get this resolved?

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2023 at 10:46, therealmc said:

I’ve got the same sort of intermittent symptoms described by Jon in his video - looks like I should check the solenoid…

Uncovered the compressor etc this afternoon. On starting the engine the car rises and I can’t hear any air leaks. A couple of  hours later and nothing seems to have changed but overnight I’m expecting the car to have sunk down. As I can’t hear air escaping from the bags or hoses it must be very slow and/or is it an indication that it is a stuck discharge valve/solenoid like Jon’s issue. Any thoughts?

Edited by therealmc
  • Thanks 1

If both sides go down then it is possible the air bags have a leak but unlikely for it to happen at the same time. So could be the valve or a leaking pipe. If you can get under the car spray the bags and pipes with a washing-up liquid solution and look for air bubbles.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had the problem of suspension intermittently dropping equally on both sides. I finally got around to following the procedure shown on Jon’s Workshop and replaced the discharge solenoid valve and it seems to have solved the problem. Bit of a faff removing the under tray on the driver’s side but otherwise straightforward and at £19.99 for the valve it was worth a punt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/04/2023 at 12:35, 0011718 said:

Did you manage to get this resolved?

Not yet just dealing with output shaft leak on my E92 as was more pressing hopefully will attempt my next block of days off but thanks for asking 

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Have had the compressor out having purchased a replacement solenoid in anticipation however not only is it not stuck as I was expecting/hoping it seems to be a different design to the one in Jon’s video and the replacement I’d bought! Had to put the whole thing back as is and obviously I’ve still got this intermittent problem. Have sprayed solution over all the accessible parts and the bags and can’t see evidence of an air leak; hmmm.

I’m part way through the job of replacing the air bags-very straightforward thanks to all the earlier posts. However I discovered that there was a “Distance Compensating Ring” on the near side only. I know the car’s history, and these springs haven’t been touched since it was built in November 2015. Should I (a) refit it with the new air bag, (b) leave it out, or (c) buy another one so that both sides are the same? 

4 minutes ago, Albion Man said:

Should I (a) refit it with the new air bag, (b) leave it out, or (c) buy another one so that both sides are the same?

It's a while since I did mine but I remember having a similar dilemma.  While I stand to be corrected if needs be I'm pretty sure you can fit the new springs as supplied. I forget the exact function of the compensation ring but you don't need to transfer it to the new spring.

Thanks very much for your advice, and also for your original post which outlined the procedure. I reckon that it took less time to remove both old air springs than I spent researching the job on the web! Hopefully replacement air springs will solve my problem with intermittent deflation overnight. When I pulled the old springs out to their full extent just out of curiosity to see how the rubber tube was connected to the plastic ends I noted the extent of concealed tar splatters, so it isn’t surprising that there could be abrasion and leaks which are not always detected by spraying with soapy water. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So joining the party here after a 530m Newcastle trip on Sunday (dont ask) i got in the car on monday to a suspension levelling warning and car on its arse.

Thus far no overnight deflations or symptoms (car on 62K) but i now find the car "stanced, innit"

Obvious culprits are bags but it has sunk both sides which seems odd as i understand the car has a valve for each side, which tends to suggests ride height sensors not at fault?

Car won't rise at all which suggests either its leaking air or pump is not working?

First question - can you hear the pump? I never have.

Second is i should check some fuses - any pointers ie numbers and locations.

Finally suggestion is solenoids:

https://www.alderleyautos.co.uk/blog/bmw-f11-air-suspension-the-truth/

Anyone experienced this?

To me seems odd car should suddenly drop both sides and not even try to rise?

Mine went at exactly 62k, my bet is air bags (one fails its enough even if other side is ok but weak to bring both sides down), I replaced with these and never touched it since: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/arnott/13243669?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&tb_prm=20315908947&gshp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiApuCrBhAuEiwA8VJ6JpQiXcbd2_H8P4vEqWMU3vT96nO0inZtbQrmcq_8lMLp1Z2Do2J7XhoCuRwQAvD_BwE

Now on 92k, and that was around three years ago.

Edited by Percha

To update (should probably do a new thread as wasn't bags) took compressor out today and there was some residual air suggesting bags not burst.

Desicant in dryer was dry, motor turned on a 12v source, but my 12v supply doesnt give enough amps to run the whole set up. All seemed ok but pump still doesnt run in the car. Checked fuses all good varous googling came up with a relay position in the boot well under the floor - bit of condensation in there but not flooded but relay looked moist - opened it up and lots of black and testing continuity came up blank - tried to resolder a broken connection but no joy.

One advantage of a having a non-fucntioning e39 is a source of relays - fitted and car has risen - should maybe have looked in to this first as felt pump had no power.

New one ordered, for once a cheap and easy fix assuming fiddling with the pump hasn't upset things!

IMG_1715.thumb.jpg.9644670954a89162471e1eb9f17c053e.jpgIMG_1713.thumb.jpg.82703da55f8eb6fec6e045584726d2df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1