Forum 5

DIY F11 Air Spring replacement

• 4 months later...

Came across this video and thought it may help some people who have replaced the valve block but are still having issues with the suspension dropping.

Edited by 0011718
  • Thanks 1

On 15/05/2023 at 11:21, therealmc said:

Update.

Have had the compressor out having purchased a replacement solenoid in anticipation however not only is it not stuck as I was expecting/hoping it seems to be a different design to the one in Jon’s video and the replacement I’d bought! Had to put the whole thing back as is and obviously I’ve still got this intermittent problem. Have sprayed solution over all the accessible parts and the bags and can’t see evidence of an air leak; hmmm.

Further update.

After months of umming and aahing with my intermittent problem I decided that I would have to change the bags - until that’s done I’d never be 100% sure one way or another. Followed all the guidance posted (thanks) and didn’t have any problems completing the job (helps when you have access to a two post lift). Just waiting now to see if the problem is solved. 

Two Ridex bags - £131 via autodoc.co.uk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Final update (hopefully). One month in and no issues whatsoever with drooping suspension. I guess like many rubber/flexible components there’s always going to be a limited lifespan and in a 10+ year old car both bags reached the end at the same time. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have replaced my bags just over 2 years ago with cheap Amazon ones and they have been fine since then however on a health check video it's been pointed that they start to perish and one of them starts to rust as well. 

I am looking at replacements that will hopefully last till the end of my car ownership.

I did look at Arnotts however few have mentioned that with them the car sits around 7-10mm higher than on OEM bags. And when adjusting the height the comfort is not the same. 

Could anyone that has fitted Arnotts relate to that?

Also is it common for compressor to kick in for a second after putting the car in D it does squat down a little bit. 

I fitted Arnotts A2780 air bag back in 2020 around 50k miles since and its been perfect at the back, no height issues and all sits as it should.

I would never put a cheap version of a part on my car, especially not a suspension item. If you are going to keep the car I would advise investing more here: Autodoc £340 

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/arnott/13243669?_gl=1*1hrb8la*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_SzBhAsEiwAXE2Cv-_mZreqEL0OllqDBMwFwRCwxwQ3wvrzuOwXLrGgN838g6YBptxQuhoCxWwQAvD_BwE

Edited by Percha
  • Thanks 1

Yes (very simple job, max 2hrs both sides, I used the diag tool to deflate/reinflate) and no, there is no need to calibrate it as the ride height sensors are not touched.

Edited by Percha

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Newbie here. I have the inevitable sunk on one side issue in my F11. This is the latest problem in a long line since owning this vehicle for 8 months. The above info is very useful and matches with all the videos I’ve seen on YouTube. I’m going to have a go myself and have 2x cheap eBay bags on the way. However, this morning I’ve seen a conversion to coil spring offering on line at just under £200. But I can find nothing on line at all about anyone doing this. I would need to turn the whole air suspension system off and have bought a TopDon bi directional scan tool to try and attempt this. Anyone heard of this conversion and see any problems with it.

grateful in advance.

R

5 hours ago, Dicky DIY said:

Hi All,

Newbie here. I have the inevitable sunk on one side issue in my F11. This is the latest problem in a long line since owning this vehicle for 8 months. The above info is very useful and matches with all the videos I’ve seen on YouTube. I’m going to have a go myself and have 2x cheap eBay bags on the way. However, this morning I’ve seen a conversion to coil spring offering on line at just under £200. But I can find nothing on line at all about anyone doing this. I would need to turn the whole air suspension system off and have bought a TopDon bi directional scan tool to try and attempt this. Anyone heard of this conversion and see any problems with it.

grateful in advance.

R

Might be worth checking the X5 forum, I think the conversion is more common with them