Forum 5

Comfort Seats

I'd like to remove the front seats from my G31 (Ventilated, Massage, Comfort) for valeting purposes.

How do I go about this because it looks complicated?

The seat belts are attached to the seats themselves and I assume there is an explosive pretensioner somewhere.

Are there any electrical / airbag /safety systems I should be aware of?

How heavy are they?

Years ago a job like this simply involved undoing 4 bolts, now you need a degree in auto engineering!

Disconnect the battery first. Remove the 4 bolts holding the seats to the car and remove the seat belt mounts from the seat. The seats are reasonably heavy so you may need 2 people to get them out. Why not just loosen the seats and lean them back onto the rear seat bench if cleaning the carpet is the reason? It is a faff removing the seats. 

It's not too hard to remove. I retrofit the comfort seat with massage to my G31 so my approach to swap the seats (not include the wire modification) is simply pop open bonnet (as my car has MHT), then disconnect 12v battery under rear boot floor. Loose 4 bolts between car and seat. Tilt the seat to disconnect cable below. Then the seatbelt to the car's connection bolt can be accessed from below with a bit more tilt. To move the seat out of the car, I fold down rear seat and move it out through the rear boot door, which is not actually too hard for one person to do.

The tensioner is on the seatbelt locker (?whatever the thing that you insert seatbelt buckle into) and that is connected to the seat not car so doesn't need to be removed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As above, tilt them back if you want to shampoo the carpet for example, you can also blow all manner of rubbish and debris out the area by using an air line, if you have a compressor, and you only want a really good clean without shampooing. 
If you do want to remove them, place towels over your door sills, and leave the battery disconnected until you have them plugged back in again.