Forum 5

The Crooked Chimney Herts meet 29th April 2009

duncan-uk

It was a warm spring Wednesday evening in April when the relative peace of the Crooked Chimney public house in Lemsford, Hertfordshire was shattered by the spine tingling sound of 5 litres of Munich’s finest V8 being gunned to the red line thus demonstrating to all in ear shot how, with the addition of a Hayward and Scott exhaust, an e39 M5 should sound! The answer is of course awesome!

This peacock like display effectively heralded in some style the start of the second Hertfordshire area meeting of forum.bmw5.co.uk.

The forum that, in essence, encompasses all BMW models bearing the 5 nomenclatures from e12 to e60 and now boasts near 6,000 members. Which contribute to a lively and active forum full of friendly healthy debate. So much so that many members remain ‘logged on’ even after the reason for joining is gone. So the opportunity to come out from behind the keyboard and put faces to forum names was a welcome one. Down on numbers from the first meet due to work commitments a modest 8 hardy souls ventured out for an evening of congenial discussion with old acquaintances and the making of new friends.

Of the eight members one had travelled from as far a field as Gloucestershire, this was not as heroic as it sounds as Gary conveniently found himself at a loose end in Hemel Hempstead through work. So made the short trip to Lemsford to enjoy the convivial atmosphere.

On display was a variety of metal, which displayed the broad church of interests that the members of forum.bmw5.co.uk share we it comes to their cars.

In attendance where the e28’s of duncan-uk, a much modified alpine white (affectionately know as whirlpool white on the forum) M535i packing 233bhp for road and track fun and Beemerboy_530’s immaculately turned out bronze 520i with wheel arches so clean it puts new cars to shame. Holding the flag for the e34’s was Tuskers Techno Violet 3.8 M5, which is a recent addition to replace his TBMW featured e28 Alpina B2.8, as far as we can tell Alan is not yet convinced despite its obvious qualities but maybe that was just the bump on the head he received from the low pub ceiling, fortunately no blood was spilt! The remainder of the group brought along their e39’s in varying flavours – Sandip’s bargain blue 535i with oh so deep dish 19” M-parallels, Ishti’s recently acquired stunning black 530i, Dennis Coopers 530d touring which would not normally draw to much comment but for the fact that it finished in highly unusual white with black roof and 19” Hartge rims. Finally for the e39 camp was Seesure’s afore mentioned blue M5 which despite its obvious pedigree is no show queen and earns its keep pounding the motorway network of Britain amusing its owner, and presumably any petrol heads near by, in tunnels with that exhaust – an aural delight! To finish off the octet we have Beemerboy_530’s girlfriend who just happens to drive an E46 M3 cabrio, which was fine by us until it was let slip she had a passion for Audis too…

As the skies darkened the diverse crew moved inside for an evening of convivial conversation good beer and food renewing old acquaintances, making new friends and gentle ribbing! Naturally 5ers, BMWs and cars in general where never to far from the conversation but we didn’t just talk BMW part numbers and such diverse topics as the onward march of the supermarket giants, driving in India, things one really shouldn’t do in cars and that should never make print and the Hindustan Ambassador!

As the pub emptied and the clock ticked ever closer to closing time the decision was made to wrap things in up on what was all in all an excellent and enjoyable evening.

I am told the fun didn’t quite end there and those that went home through the Hatfield tunnel were treated to the sound of an M5 at full chat….

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Duncan,

I think this might be a remnant of an attempt to bring old content over to the new forum?! The Crooked Chimney meets were like from around 2009 to perhaps 2012'ish or so?!

KitTheRam - I guess keep your eyes peeled if there's an announcement to have a meet at the same place again now were all a decade older, it'll still be the same banter ! I still have my not much to comment on Touring 🙂

Cheers, Dennis!

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

If you look at the title Dennis 😉

Ha!  Was on my phone when typed up and missed the complete title !

Was a good venue and each meet was great guys who came along, might be worthwhile arranging a meet there again ?   that's assuming the pub itself is still open !

Cheers, Dennis!

That was a great evening, and the Hatfield tunnel was fun 😉 

I'm hoping at some point to try and get the old LMB E39 back up and running but time and funds will be the challenge... although if I'd not gone down the route of a "Grand Designs" home extension I could have done that and had a F90 M5 sitting on the drive this year.... 🤣 🤣 🤣