Forum 5

Right hand drive 5 series Alpina cars

Just to start this section off I thought I would list some of the right hand Alpina cars that were made for the UK market.

E34

2 x B10 3.0 AllRad saloons

1 x B10 3.0 AllRad Touring

2 x B10 4.0 saloons

1 x B10 4.6 Touring

E39

59 x B10 3.2 saloons

5 x B10 3.2 Tourings

112 x B10 3.3 saloons

19 x B10 3.3 Tourings

211 x B10 V8 saloons

12 x B10 V8 Tourings

42 x B10 V8S saloons

4 x B10 V8S Tourings

E60/61

71 x B5 saloons

4 x B5 Tourings

12 x B5S saloons

1 x B5S Tourings

F10/11

21 x B5 saloons

7 x B5 Tourings

F10 Edition 50

2 x B5 saloons

I don't know of anything newer than that, the G series cars but if anyone does then please add them on. If you're happy to, like I am, list any that you know or own.

These are mine, the one E34 B10 4.6 Touring in rhd, number 16 of 19...

797450385_AlpinaB1026.thumb.JPG.9e3edf78e9cfdf3cf3297119235845b6.JPG

984744777_AlpinaB10130.thumb.JPG.1e8a5cfa1a8274a299ff3c470ae79d2c.JPG

1347906004_AlpinaB10128.thumb.JPG.2c88929248d7837c2f35c695f74dfd34.JPG

AlpinaB1010.thumb.JPG.0b2f291927d5bf079f24ef57ad1f7436.JPG

AlpinaB10106.thumb.JPG.a033636b58baf8fb97e66c6ca9cb7a90.JPG

And this is E39 B10 V8 Touring 012/1 (the '/1' indicates it is a facelift car), also mine...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here they are together...

899690126_TwoAlpinas5.thumb.jpg.b0df405c0c4588cf26d0814ebbe015e4.jpg

I have a thread running for the E34 and will start one soon for my E39.

The thread isn't just for right hand drive cars - if you have a lefty 5 series Alpina please post it up too.

Edited by Sharkfan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wayneob7s said:

stunning cars mate ... bet that e34 v8  surprises  many 

Because the car is a one off in the UK and so few were made anyway, just 19 Tourings and 26 saloons (all lhd except this one car), it means it missed most peoples radars. I suspect a lot of that was to do with the price - the B10 4.6 is based on a 540i which could be bought for c£40k back in 1995; deeper pockets would get you an M5 at c£55k but the B10 4.6 was listed at £65,000...

...and by the time the previous owner finished ticking some specification boxes it totalled up at over £70,000.

The M60B46 engine has the same 340bhp as the S38B38 3.8 M5 but has 354lb/ft compared to 295lb/ft and all much lower down the rev range - I have had some fun with an M5 owning friend around the EVO triangle and on a few other road trips over the years - the huge amount of low down power and torque makes itself very obvious in real road driving conditions.

It is also only 20bhp and 23lb/ft short of the B10 BiTurbo and I found this short video from a few years ago with a rolling start of 30mph...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tweRIuSMI8

In terms of basic design it is very similar to the E39 B10 V8 pre-facelift cars with the same power and torque although with dual row timing chains and a cooling system made with considerably less chocolate materials. The engine is also found in the E36 B8 4.6 cars - it makes slightly less power but the E36 is a lot lighter and smaller so the E36 cars are very sought after, but once again like the B10 BiTurbo cars, only available in left hand drive.

BMWCar magazine asked to do an article on it a few years ago - I think it was in the June 2013 edition.

I should add that I haven't listed any of the the numbers of right hand drive E28 Alpina's, either B9 or B10, or the right hand drive E34 B10 3.5 cars - this is because nobody really knows how many of each were made as Frank Sytner put them together in Nottingham but didn't really keep good records of how many they made. They also made some dubious part Alpina cars where wheels, perhaps suspension, maybe a spoiler and a steering wheel but not an engine were put on new or used customer cars and given badges like 'B2.8' or 'B3.5'.

The additional problem with the Sytner made cars is that some had plaques, some didn't, those that did have plaques don't conform to a easily recognised numbering system and over the years a few unscrupulous owners may have transferred the goodies and plaques from one car to another as they did not have the second stamped chassis number that Buchloe built cars have. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 09:50, Sharkfan said:

I should add that I haven't listed any of the the numbers of right hand drive E28 Alpina's, either B9 or B10, or the right hand drive E34 B10 3.5 cars - this is because nobody really knows how many of each were made as Frank Sytner put them together in Nottingham but didn't really keep good records of how many they made. They also made some dubious part Alpina cars where wheels, perhaps suspension, maybe a spoiler and a steering wheel but not an engine were put on new or used customer cars and given badges like 'B2.8' or 'B3.5'.

The additional problem with the Sytner made cars is that some had plaques, some didn't, those that did have plaques don't conform to a easily recognised numbering system and over the years a few unscrupulous owners may have transferred the goodies and plaques from one car to another as they did not have the second stamped chassis number that Buchloe built cars have. 

yep  i have seen . cars going back that old now and  as you say keeping a check on  what is what is getting hard ... my e28  has  the Alpina  look  but  only a 525i  3 speed auto ... but is coming of the road  very soon for the 3.5  and getrag 260 conversion ..

e28.jpg

• Like 2

Good luck with your project - there will be many 'purists' who will poo-poo any Alpina replica (more especially the half-assed attempts with Alpina roundels and tat badges) but with the older genuine cars so thin on the ground and often now 'collection' ornaments that are never driven I have no problem with some decent replicas if they are well done, but obviously stated as replicas.

There was a guy on the previous forum5 who had made a gorgeous E32 B11 3.5 replica, original wheels and spoiler, bilstein mildly lowered sports suspension and even managed to get hold of the correct badge somehow; he'd also sourced sports seats and an Alpina steering wheel and it all looked fabulous - it didn't have the Alpina engine but you know what - it didn't need it, it looked great and I wouldn't mind tracking it down.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 12:04, Sharkfan said:

Good luck with your project - there will be many 'purists' who will poo-poo any Alpina replica (more especially the half-assed attempts with Alpina roundels and tat badges) but with the older genuine cars so thin on the ground and often now 'collection' ornaments that are never driven I have no problem with some decent replicas if they are well done, but obviously stated as replicas.

There was a guy on the previous forum5 who had made a gorgeous E32 B11 3.5 replica, original wheels and spoiler, bilstein mildly lowered sports suspension and even managed to get hold of the correct badge somehow; he'd also sourced sports seats and an Alpina steering wheel and it all looked fabulous - it didn't have the Alpina engine but you know what - it didn't need it, it looked great and I wouldn't mind tracking it down.

thanks mate . this car came with  original NOS  staggered wheels NOS  genuine Alpina steering wheel  and a Genuine NOS Alpina stripe kit ...the guy i bought it from used to service my dads e23 728i  when i was about 13 years old ... He knew the car  in the early 90s as it used to come to his place to get serviced  and now  one of my best mates  who worked  for the guy i bought it off  also knows the car  as he did the service work on it ... and he is the only guy  i let work on it now .... shes off the road now  going in for some body work  and a 3.5 and manual box conversion