Forum 5

E28 pitman arm / dog bone replacement

duncan-uk

Did this job on my Highline sometime ago & decided to change them on the 5 today.

Nothing like as knackered as the ones on the highline, but still far from new!

Thanks again to the guys at GSF, always do me proud on price etc. 

If anyone wants to do this job, here is what you need to do;

But before you undertake doing this job, check you have ideally 2 x trolley jacks, 2 x 22mm 1/2" drive sockets with long leverage bars, axle stands, block of wood)

1) Buy your pitman arms BMW part no 33321126476      (GSF recognise this part no)

2) Chock front wheels, remove rear wheels - (jack under diff), support with axle stands, but leave the trolley jack under the diff.

3) Remove the outer bolt & washer - this is a blind fixing, no nut. Note any washers & their position - I've not seen a pitman arm (yet) fixed in the manner shown on realOEM HERE, where the bolts go in from top & bottom - mine were from underneath!

There is no room to put the inner bolt in from above IMHO anyway!

4) Remove the inner bolt, nut & washers. You will need the second 22mm to hold the nut until you crack the bolt. Pitman arm now removed.

5) Fit new pitman arm, replacing the outer bolt first, don't fully tighten, just nip it up.

6) In order to lign up the inner bolt, you will need to use the second trolley jack to raise the suspension on the side you're working on - suggest under the trailing arm just behind the hub - use the block of wood. Carefully raise the arm until its about horizontal & suspension is well compressed, don't jack the arm too high - you risk toppling the car if not supported properly!!

7) If the bolt slides into place easily the arm is at the right height. You'll notice that the design of the pitman arm bushes allow you to manoeuver the bush (using the bolt or a screwdriver) such that the bolt will slide through. If its nearly there gently tap with a mallet. Secure other end with nut & washer. Its tight for space in there, but should be able to get a socket on with a swivel joint arm.

😎 Tighten - note, the purpose of jacking up the trailing arm is two-fold, a) you won't be able to fit the pitman arm otherwise,  you need to have 'road-weight' on the suspension to torque up the two fixings.

Refit etc as per reversal of removal.