Forum 5

Goodyear runflat tyres

Ray112

So what are your experience with Goodyear runflats? Bought car with them already fitted, today noticed second tyre having a bulge on inner sidewall.  Never had an issue with sidewall damage in my 18 years driving experience, and I've been driving a lot with private cars company cars etc. To me them Goodyear tires sounds like quite a bit rubbish.

IMG_20220926_175103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not the same tyre but I’ve been running on Goodyear RoF 18” winters the last 3 years and they’ve been fine. Absolutely excellent grip, relatively comfortable drive - similar when compared with the Pirelli 19” RoF summers. No problems of the kind you’ve seen. I wonder what the car’s history was before you bought it? Perhaps hard running on too soft tyres for instance? Strange the damage is restricted to the inside.

Edited by BobA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stressed said:

Had similar damage on some non run flats on my A4. Tyre fitter said he’d seen this s few times in areas where there a lot of speed humps that you straddle 

A good point and something I’ve not heard before. Lots of the speed bumps round my way are quite damaged with the sides (especially the offside) ground or broken away so the sidewall might take a bit of an unusual hammering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2022 at 18:40, Ray112 said:

So what are your experience with Goodyear runflats? Bought car with them already fitted, today noticed second tyre having a bulge on inner sidewall.  Never had an issue with sidewall damage in my 18 years driving experience, and I've been driving a lot with private cars company cars etc. To me them Goodyear tires sounds like quite a bit rubbish.

I had Goodyear Excellence RFTs on my F11 and they were great tyres. Sure, the car failed one MOT due to a sidewall bubble but that is what potholes will do to the tyres and especially run flats due to the sidewall stiffness. I did change the tyres for Michelin Primacy RFTs once that size became available for the F11 (245/40r19) but the car never felt as good as when the Goodyears were fitted so I regretted moving away from the Goodyears. 

Edited by Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

I had a non runflat goodyear eagle F1 Ass2 265/25/18 a few years ago, did exactly the same after 11,000 miles and 15 months.

Needless to say I'll not buy them again. E39 currently has Kumho PS71 on all round, which have been fine for the past 2 years and 6,000 miles.

I do hardly any miles in my E39 now as I have a newer BMW, so any further tyres will not be top end.

They usually end up cracking and degrading long before the tread has gone.

Edited by mike77