Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

I’ve been having an internal debate these last few weeks…..

Option 1. Change the car for a G30 5 series, but budget wise I’d be looking at a 520d, 520i, or possibly 530i or 530e. 

Option 2, Keep the 535d, save money, stick another year of BMW comprehensive warranty on it and upgrade the wheels to 19 inches, as this is the only aspect of the car I want to change. Would need to be OEM SE or Luxury spec items.

There is nothing out there with a spec as good as mine for reasonable money and I am pretty sure I’d miss the power if I changed to a 4 cylinder petrol or diesel.

I think I’m leaning towards option 2. Keep it another year and then see. 

I quite like these wheels…. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403929376159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XqVh2zK3T1y&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3V7UKG_1S9W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Dimsum

1 hour ago, Dimsum said:

I’d prefer a set of 455’s but I can’t find any a good price. I do like my current 452’s but 18”s just don’t fill out the arch’s enough.

The 455’s look great imo… If anyone see’s any at a non-exorbitant price let me know!

07ACBF7F-31F0-4D1F-B95F-A887C0DC82DC.png

3D2B02C1-B2CD-42C5-9024-BA6E7C7D40B1.png

2 hours ago, E39mad said:

Good news unless you are buying a cheaper car otherwise the more expensive cars have gone up also.

What's next?

Best bmw I have owned and highest mileage too sold with 172k bought with 150k .

Just picked up a audi a6 2.0tdi sline black edition 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Celebrated my car's tenth birthday.

Still flawless, well apart from the dent in the N/S/R wing when I headbutted and dented it a few years ago when changing a rear spring.

Out of anger or???.... 😂

• Haha 1

Ordered a new TMS module for the car. Over £400 from BMW so that wasn't going to happen, got one from Amazon for £69.99. That wasn't the cheapest but didn't want to chance a very cheap one. Do these need coding afterwards if so can an auto electrician do it and roughly how much. 2013 F11IMG_0097.thumb.jpeg.7ae65f3c719f340e5d9301cd22f4217b.jpeg

• Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 16:48, 0011718 said:

Booked car in for occasional burning oil smell from o/s rear of engine. Suspect rocker cover gasket? Smoking from some part of the exhaust. Is it the DPF?

Well they diagnosed the oil leak as rocker cover warped and gasket which I suspected. They're quoting £280+vat and 3hrs labour (£60 p/h). Is this a reasonable price as it seems on the steep side to me?

They also diagnosed a leaking rear shock absorber, and have quoted me £440 + vat for replacing these. An expensive day come right at the wrong time!

Edited by 0011718

1 hour ago, Cockney Chris said:

Cleaned nearly 4 months of mud off of car today, I live in the country now and it gets covered in all sorts. Just couldn't get my head in gear to do it before but glad I did it looks great.

Pics of the nice clean motor would be nice!

As my question above, I have fitted a new TMS module today for the princely sum of £69.99. No coding was necessary for all of the warnings to go from the dash so I am well pleased. The only thing is that the nearside is now not quite as bright as the drivers side. How can I get them both to be the same? 

52 minutes ago, Cockney Chris said:

The new one is the duller one. I am going to try with Bimmercode and see how we get on,

If you mean the angeleye/sidelight is duller, it's most likely you just need to reset the sidelight intensity level. I'd imagine Bimmercode should be able to do it... I did mine with Carly

On 30/01/2023 at 12:22, Dimsum said:

Out of anger or???.... 😂

Stupidity!

When I first changed the NSR coil spring I used a pry bar to lever the hub down, when the pry bar slipped I shot forward and head butted the car. It really hurt at the time, it was only when my dad turned up later and spotted it that I put two and two together to realise what I’d done. Certainly explained the pain in my head.  

By carefully studying the picture below, you can see what force I had on the pry bar at the time!

1-A858-B49-C960-4745-A9-C6-892702-AAC1-F

Just shows what my head must be made from, rocks according to my wife…

• Haha 1

Replaced my VANOS solenoids today. It's a 2011 535i on 93k miles with original solenoids. You wouldn't know it looking at the old ones but they were definitely not working as they should be based on the before & after driving. Took some wrestling to unseat after all these years and some light persuasion to get the tight fit new ones in. Not a bad job once you take the front apart a bit and remove the radiator fan. The 5 has plenty of space in the engine bay with anything less than a V8 in it.

IMG20230211125313.thumb.jpg.0c59c52a37fc155ad5eb7113a08620c7.jpg

IMG20230211125329.thumb.jpg.b9bc07c506ac220842bdb4e5882c5f8f.jpg

IMG20230211125541.thumb.jpg.e6cc8024f62232542c8362d47edbb56a.jpg

IMG20230211132947.thumb.jpg.0a90754365d4cfc81bcca29a8cea65ae.jpg

On my test drive it was immediately apparent how much smoother the pickup is from very low revs, pulling cleaner and stronger all the way through the revs. I know the PWG N55 runs out of puff at the top end but now at least it pulls to the redline, felt like it hit a wall at 4.5krpm before. Slight hiccups on idle have gone too. 

We're going to London tomorrow so the motorway journey will allow me to test the mpg but I'm expecting an improvement. 

It's one of those things that don't display any obvious symptoms but they're there subtly. The degradation is slow and gradual. Even harder to know if you're buying second hand on 88k miles like I did. 

Anyways, it's £150 well spent and if yours are anywhere over 70k miles it's likely to be worth it for you. 

On the downside I discovered that my OFHG is leaking again and I've just done the two gaskets last summer. I used some Viton ones that I thought would last better but it seems they're not sealing properly. Guess I'll stump up for the BMW ones and do it again! 

Edited by Steve84N