Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

I dropped it at BMW at 4pm yesterday for todays booking for EGR cooler safety recall, they did the fuel filter I asked them to do and also did a vehicle check, seems the rear near side tyre has delaminated again (5mm tread left on it), they checked this back in June and sent me a video and all was fine then.

The tyre quote was very reasonable so said change it please, and was almost identical to getting one from Asda online a few months ago and having it fitted by a local tyre centre!...

I wonder if it was tyre quality issue, or I drove over something... strange!

Will pick it up tomorrow.

Checked the EGR Cooler replacement today and noticed I got the EGR changed as well it doesnt look like all one piece, its a Borg Warner unit (my old employer 😆). 

image.jpeg

Edited by Percha
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the windscreen washer pump on my F11. What a horrid job!

Never had any issues with flow on my windscreen washers (or headlights and rear either) but since having my EGR software updated where the dealer kindly tipped me up with bmw screen washer (more on that later) and then the cold snap where my washers froze I suddenly found that with the thaw at the beginning of the week my washers spluttered and then gave up, emitting a high pitched noise from the motor.

Lots of googling and frustratingly little specifically to the F10/F11 but to cut a long story short I tried everything (knowing what a pig of a job it’s supposed to be to access the washer bottle) - blowing down the washer pipe made bubbling noises but didn’t unblock the filter, soaking in neat white vinegar overnight did nothing and an hour in neat drain cleaner (pumped out, not sprayed, to protect paintwork) still did nothing.….

So I admitted defeat this afternoon and spent the first day of my Xmas hols at the dealer to buy plastic rivets, a new filter and 5l of bmw screen wash - £27. Removing the arch liner wasn’t too bad but would have been easier if I’d removed the wheel. Prising out the pump from the filter and prising out the filter was also surprisingly easy. And the. I spent 2 hours and lacerated hands trying to realign the pump and get enough downward pressure to force it into the new filter. I just couldn’t do it and by now it was 4deg, dark, cold and wet. But as with all these jobs, the solution ended ip quite simple - I just angles a flat nose screwdriver between the pump house in g and washer bottle to give enough downward pressure to pop it back in the filter and suddenly it was all done! 

Washers now working perfectly again and the wheel arch went back together in about 10 mins. My hands now look like I’ve been bare knuckle fighting but proud to have saved myself £100+ at the dealer.

This is the condition of the old filter - amazing that even mr muscle couldn’t dissolve the crud it’s caked in. I’m glad I decided to replace it in the end.

541B2013-A503-4781-A440-BCDB9DEC2743.jpeg

• Like 2

Did this job myself and I feel your pain! Couldn't the filter have been fitted in the engine bay or somewhere more accessible? 

Not had any issues since using BMW screenwash and distilled water. 

Edited by Caesar

Just before Xmas I had to replace the blower motor and heater resistor. 

Tried replacing just the resistor but that hastened the death of the motor that was already on its way out.

Also replaced the worn out rubber mounts under the engine cover and replaced some missing plastic rivets which hold on the plastic cover over where the heater lives.

Since then, one of my alloys has been buckled by the fantastic Surrey roads. 😠

Had an extremely wet and cold cycle and was so glad of the welcoming, warm, comfy and pleasure to drive F11 that awaited me at the end of it to get me home - a real sanctuary! 

I've been questioning the need for such large luxury cars for everyday running about, but today I was so glad of it - hoping for many more cosy years with the Silver Princess!

Happy New Year everyone - delighted the forum came back 🙂

• Like 4

Booked in for an oil service, MOT and EGR recall in a few weeks. Seems pointless them doing the EGR again as I believe this was replaced a few years ago and then again last year while they were trying to trace the drive train error ( along with them replacing 5k worth of other bits under the bonnet!)

29 minutes ago, Dimsum said:

Booked in for an oil service, MOT and EGR recall in a few weeks. Seems pointless them doing the EGR again as I believe this was replaced a few years ago and then again last year while they were trying to trace the drive train error ( along with them replacing 5k worth of other bits under the bonnet!)

What was the final diagnosis for all that last year?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dimsum said:

A few weeks ago, my wife's 320d was summoned by BMW for another EGR recall, even though they replaced the cooler a year or two ago. They didn't replace anything this time and they explained the purpose was to update the software to enable it to monitor the EGR's performance better in the hope of preventing catastrophic failure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greenfingers said:

A few weeks ago, my wife's 320d was summoned by BMW for another EGR recall, even though they replaced the cooler a year or two ago. They didn't replace anything this time and they explained the purpose was to update the software to enable it to monitor the EGR's performance better in the hope of preventing catastrophic failure.

Same here on my 520

Topped up the screenwash and removed the kiddie seats to avoid the MOT advisory of

”unable to check seat belt due to child seat fitted”

Exactly why I would want them checked, but I know why they say that as the last thing an examiner wants to be accused of is tampering with a child seat. 

MOT 8am Friday morning. 😱