Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Over about 3 hours this evening, @VPCAPTAIN and I changed the rear offside lower arm in his F11.

IMG_5695.jpg

Rear anti roll bar drop link bracket had broken off. 

A used lower arm was sourced and a replacement balljoint fitted previously 

IMG-5829.jpg

We made scratch marks on the old eccentric washer to line up in new bolt 

IMG-5832.jpg

Old arm out after an hour. Bolts came undone mostly with my Dewalt impact wrench but had to resort to a 900mm breaker bar and brute force to loosen the rear inner bolt, which isn’t the tightest bolt but the gun didn’t like it. 

IMG-5836.jpg

Broken lower arm on right, note the incomplete drop link bracket.  New balljoint, integral link and drop link were fitted to used arm on right. 

IMG-5838.jpg

Refurbished arm in place prior to torqueing the bolts to spec. 

IMG_5840.jpg

At last somewhere to fix the anti roll bar drop link too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Percha said:

That F11 has needed quite a bit of work done to it since he got it? Is he still pleased with it?

Hmm not really. 

The usual F11 rear air suspension problems and this which to be fair was an accident and could have happened to any of us. Although it was his wife driving it when it happened 🫣.

It is a nice barge with lots of toys and because it’s white, folk get out the way sharpish on the motorway 😆

Cheeky @duncan-uk would say I’ve changed more bits on mine but in reality he has changed the most bits on his F11.

Got my Autodoc order

IMG-5846.jpg

oil to bring my stock back up to enough for an oil change plus top up spare.

Diff output seals 

vanos O rings

transmission mount 

front diff mounts 

Valvetronic motor seal 

Cylinder head cover gasket

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Now now Andrew you know that’s not true. 

Have you replaced your steering rack?

Have you replaced your track rod ends ?

Have you replaced your upper wishbones? 

I’ve done none of that. 🫢

On 12/07/2024 at 20:14, Stacker said:

Is the headlight a common issue on these?

Yes, I had both of mine resealed at Home of Headlights in Leyton a couple of months back. Cheaper than new, and get them fixed before they ruin the TMS.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Have you replaced your steering rack?

Have you replaced your track rod ends ?

Have you replaced your upper wishbones? 

I’ve done none of that. 🫢

Have you not done springs, top mounts, oil filter gasket amongst other things?  

19 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Have you not done springs, top mounts, oil filter gasket amongst other things?  

Springs and top mounts, due to lack of investment in Scottish roads by the anti car Scottish government.

You will need to do your oil filter gasket if you haven’t already done it. 

Cleaned my drivers seat and gave the footwell a clean too. 

IMG-5858.jpg

Rubber mat got a scrub along with the pedals. Carpet was only hoovered but needs a dry clean to lift out some mud staining. Pedals and left foot rest cleaned up well. 

A nice way to spend a summers evening after a day stressing in the office. 

4 hours ago, Percha said:

Be good to get a rubber mat that fits though! 😆

Ppppfffttt

It’s fine for my needs/OCD. 😆

Means I can drive with my site boots on and not risk getting my carpets muddy.

@duncan-uk doesn’t understand as his Christian Louboutins only go from his car to the local branch of Waitrose. 

I purchased a RAM iPad Mini mount the other day for my upcoming trip to Germany, I want to be able to run Waze alongside the car sat nav as I find it a bit clearer on turns, and my phone screen is too small to do this (Used to CarPlay from previous cars).

Struggled to decide on a convenient place to mount that wouldn't block my view, I think to the left of the screen is currently the winner, unless I purchase the longer arm - it's currently on the 3inch arm.

IMG_9725.jpeg

15 hours ago, Stacker said:

I purchased a RAM iPad Mini mount the other day for my upcoming trip to Germany, I want to be able to run Waze alongside the car sat nav as I find it a bit clearer on turns, and my phone screen is too small to do this (Used to CarPlay from previous cars).

Struggled to decide on a convenient place to mount that wouldn't block my view, I think to the left of the screen is currently the winner, unless I purchase the longer arm - it's currently on the 3inch arm.

IMG_9725.jpeg

We go a few times a year and I just got back this morning from Italy by crossing through Germany.  Not sure where you are going but make sure you are full up before getting into Germany, Luxembourg if you can, filling stations are few and far between on the Autostrada in Germany.  If you need juice you'll need to leave the motorways.

At Calais set your options to avoid tolls.  I guess thats an option in Waze but I'd still recommend Google Maps over Waze.  Google bought Waze and adopted all the functionality into Maps.

If possible in Deuchland travel at weekends as there are no lorries on the roads and overnight if you can to avoid the nasty M25 like traffic in Germany

Watch when the speed indicator disappears from your sat nav to indicate no speed limit or look out for the UK National speed limit like signs which mean the same thing.

And finally, people are extremely disciplined as far as speed limits are concerned.  Everybody is at 50/60/80 before they hit the signs.  Not sure what the threat is if you disobey.

Cheers

Daren

Edited by F10-65
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, F10-65 said:

We go a few times a year and I just got back this morning from Italy by crossing through Germany.  Not sure where you are going but make sure you are full up before getting into Germany, Luxembourg if you can, filling stations are few and far between on the Autostrada in Germany.  If you need juice you'll need to leave the motorways.

At Calais set your options to avoid tolls.  I guess thats an option in Waze but I'd still recommend Google Maps over Waze.  Google bought Waze and adopted all the functionality into Maps.

If possible in Deuchland travel at weekends as there are no lorries on the roads and overnight if you can to avoid the nasty M25 like traffic in Germany

Watch when the speed indicator disappears from your sat nav to indicate no speed limit or look out for the UK National speed limit like signs which mean the same thing.

And finally, people are extremely disciplined as far as speed limits are concerned.  Everybody is at 50/60/80 before they hit the signs.  Not sure what the threat is if you disobey.

Cheers

Daren

Thanks Daren, some interesting things to think about there. 

Most years I drive over to the Nurburgring, so never worry about filling up on route as we can do door to door on a tank, and there are plenty of filling stations around the Mullenback / Adenauer areas!

I might try Google Maps, the only reason I actually use Waze is because people report police, but I don’t exactly speed around so not sure why I think about it! I’ve previously found Apple Maps to be the best around the French Alps, Waze didn’t have a clue!! 

Speed wise, I’ve noticed this too! I’ve worked out this weekend how to change my heads up display into KPH, so this will be a great help I’ve never had before!

15 minutes ago, Stacker said:

Thanks Daren, some interesting things to think about there. 

Most years I drive over to the Nurburgring, so never worry about filling up on route as we can do door to door on a tank, and there are plenty of filling stations around the Mullenback / Adenauer areas!

I might try Google Maps, the only reason I actually use Waze is because people report police, but I don’t exactly speed around so not sure why I think about it! I’ve previously found Apple Maps to be the best around the French Alps, Waze didn’t have a clue!! 

Speed wise, I’ve noticed this too! I’ve worked out this weekend how to change my heads up display into KPH, so this will be a great help I’ve never had before!

Ah.  You're not a nube then