Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

21 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Washed twice and dried this evening after work ready for our trip down to Naples and Vesuvius. 1500 miles there

Finish work tomorrow at 4, home to collect the missus and pest junior
Catch the Eurotunnel at 18:16
Head for Luxembourg then Ulm to avoid the tolls
Enable tolls on the sat nav and head down through Austria to Padova
Pick up Nonna and Nonno to spend 4or 5 at the beach in Carole
Drive down to cousins place in Rome for 3 nights
Then further down to visit Vesuvius and Herculanium for 2 days
Back to Padova till the Saturday
Catch the tunnel again back to Blighty on Sunday morning

Cant wait

Back to work Monday

Untitled.thumb.png.eab101a173b26efad30b44c3ee12e359.png

And… We’re off

IMG_2576.thumb.jpeg.f95c72ccceb87db736c9f4afe30893ee.jpeg

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

But we just rolled into Italia…

74ec594d-5d7f-40c7-9a05-e417353f75b9.thumb.jpeg.1e24b101a9408031adcb14e321742c09.jpeg

Ahhhh just like being at home then 🤣

Mega jealous of your road trip. 

Been to Sorrento a couple of times, lovely place 

• Like 1

My first puncture in just coming up to five years owning the car local journey and it must have gone straight down as dash told me to stop carefully, not bad but shame as 4mm left on tread! Got it off the car and a nice big puncture hole as you can see. New tyre ordered and tried out plugging it (thought nothing to lose) with my MTB Muc Off kit, will check tomorrow to see if its held pressure but at least it will get me to the garage to get the new one fitted.

• Sad 1

Updated the maps today, I'm doing my first big journey tomorrow and I had a look and the maps haven't been updated since 2016! Purchased the 2024 version and FSC code off eBay, and all running up to date now!

Also gave the steering wheel a good clean, looks less shiny now and more plush like a leather steering wheel should! A quick pass over the front seat cusion a lot of dirt came out the leather so think I'm going to have to give it an interior detail one weekend soon!

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9540.jpeg

• Like 3

I used Dr Leather wipes on mine, omg it was vile, so much better now! Used the same on the missus Tiguan and that now also has a steering wheel I don’t actually mind touching!

filled mine up today for the first time since Disneyland Paris, 610 miles on the tank, showing 10 miles range, 98.50 @ 145.9, most I’ve ever put in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This weekend in between the bouts of rain I tackled the install of the Mr12Volt MMI box.

It was pretty daunting dismantling the car this much...
Image(9).thumb.jpg.c583a611d7e8879be00d030e2d470676.jpg

What they don't tell you in the videos is how much of a faff it is to get the CIC back into place with both the factory harness and also the Mr12Volt harness behind it. In the end, I had to force the factory cables underneath the cage where the CIC sits and then as I was pushing it back into place, I also pushed the Mr12Volt cable into the limited available space on the right.

There was also the issue of the supplied mic splitter not being correct for the car. To get around this I filed off the very outer notch on the left-hand connector in the picture below and also the bottom notch of the connector on the car that goes into that blue connector in the picture.

CarConnectors.thumb.jpg.7d2232f1542bd74586941402813a0cd6.jpg

And after far too many hours, it was done...

CarApple.thumb.jpg.b42f861d584ad6a917da975a4bd2419c.jpg

It's a bit finicky at times with jumping out of CarPlay back to the CIC for no reason and sometimes inputs using the iDrive controller control other things than the app you're using.

Sound quality from it is good but a bit flat. I had to increase the bass slightly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mullinsj08 said:

This weekend in between the bouts of rain I tackled the install of the Mr12Volt MMI box.

It was pretty daunting dismantling the car this much...
Image(9).thumb.jpg.c583a611d7e8879be00d030e2d470676.jpg

What they don't tell you in the videos is how much of a faff it is to get the CIC back into place with both the factory harness and also the Mr12Volt harness behind it. In the end, I had to force the factory cables underneath the cage where the CIC sits and then as I was pushing it back into place, I also pushed the Mr12Volt cable into the limited available space on the right.

There was also the issue of the supplied mic splitter not being correct for the car. To get around this I filed off the very outer notch on the left-hand connector in the picture below and also the bottom notch of the connector on the car that goes into that blue connector in the picture.

CarConnectors.thumb.jpg.7d2232f1542bd74586941402813a0cd6.jpg

And after far too many hours, it was done...

CarApple.thumb.jpg.b42f861d584ad6a917da975a4bd2419c.jpg

It's a bit finicky at times with jumping out of CarPlay back to the CIC for no reason and sometimes inputs using the iDrive controller control other things than the app you're using.

Sound quality from it is good but a bit flat. I had to increase the bass slightly.

Looks good though.  Is it touch screen?

Is the jumping out because the phone is still connected to the BMW system too?

1 hour ago, mullinsj08 said:

I had a similar issue with the reversing camera set up and ended up putting the box in the glove box ! After I had skinned my knuckles !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

Looks good though.  Is it touch screen?

Is the jumping out because the phone is still connected to the BMW system too?

It's not touchscreen, you navigate around using the iDrive controller.

It shouldn't be my phone as I made the iDrive and my phone forget each other before I started. I think it might be when I press the back button.

But that reminds me of another gripe...when parking, as soon as you put the car into drive the parking sensor screen goes away even if you've stayed below the speed where the parking sensors switch off.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, mullinsj08 said:

It shouldn't be my phone as I made the iDrive and my phone forget each other before I started. I think it might be when I press the back button.

But that reminds me of another gripe...when parking, as soon as you put the car into drive the parking sensor screen goes away even if you've stayed below the speed where the parking sensors switch off.

Contact their support however and check if there is a firmware update to do.  My RoadTop had some issues but the update solved them.

21 hours ago, Stacker said:

Updated the maps today, I'm doing my first big journey tomorrow and I had a look and the maps haven't been updated since 2016! Purchased the 2024 version and FSC code off eBay, and all running up to date now!

Also gave the steering wheel a good clean, looks less shiny now and more plush like a leather steering wheel should! A quick pass over the front seat cusion a lot of dirt came out the leather so think I'm going to have to give it an interior detail one weekend soon!

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9540.jpeg

The integrated Sat Nav works OK but I'd highly recommend switching to Google Maps instead.  Especially in Europe if thats your destination.

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Stacker what did you use to clean your steering wheel?  Look good.

I used Auto Finesse interior cleaner, and the interior brush!

I'm going to buy the leather cleaning kit to do the seats this week, so hopefully a pass over on the steering wheel with that will help even more!

• Like 1

Ordered up a cylinder head cover gasket, and valvetronic gasket that needs to come out to take the cylinder head cover off (as there is a slight sweat), and while I'm in there I might as well do the vanos solenoids clean and new gaskets. More oil as I had to use some of the next fill volume as a recent top up. Diff bushes, diff seals, gearbox mount (as it was only £11), rear lower arm balljoints and integral links.

Still to get prop giubo and rear bearings to allow me to a rear end refresh in one great big bang! 

Plan is to take the diff out to reseal it, with diff out I can do the diff bushes and prop giubo. To get the diff out means phaffing with the driveshafts so if they are coming out, I might as well do the wheel bearings. To help get all that lot out you can loosen the lower arm to hub carrier, where the balljoint and integral link live.

Front wheel bearings already replaced and

C449767C-B341-45DE-B986-AEFCE7CDBE30.jpg

my diff bushes and

IMG-8866.jpg

rear giubo are cracking

IMG-2881.jpg

front giubo is aluminium

so in my wee mind it all makes sense. 

Just need some time to fit it all, when I don't need the car.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Contact their support however and check if there is a firmware update to do.  My RoadTop had some issues but the update solved them.

I'm chatting with them at the moment. The firmware is on the latest, I did that before buttoning everything back up 👍

16 hours ago, mullinsj08 said:

That doesn’t sound right, my old IA MMI unit in my 335d would never jump out unless I held down the menu button to switch between the 2. Also the rear cam/sensors would stay on until you got above a certain speed whether in reverse or drive.  My Android screen in my F10 behaves exactly like this too…

The MMI sometimes have dip switches that need to be set properly - something else to look at perhaps…

I’ve also found the harnesses to be tricky when installing, even worse in my F10 as I have 1 harness for the Vibe amp in the back of the head unit, and then the screen harness into that! Luckily I have the base audio so the HU is single din so there’s a bit of room to play with in there!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skyjawa said:

That doesn’t sound right, my old IA MMI unit in my 335d would never jump out unless I held down the menu button to switch between the 2. Also the rear cam/sensors would stay on until you got above a certain speed whether in reverse or drive.  My Android screen in my F10 behaves exactly like this too…

The MMI sometimes have dip switches that need to be set properly - something else to look at perhaps…

I’ve also found the harnesses to be tricky when installing, even worse in my F10 as I have 1 harness for the Vibe amp in the back of the head unit, and then the screen harness into that! Luckily I have the base audio so the HU is single din so there’s a bit of room to play with in there!

I'll need to have a play with the settings at some point to see if perhaps there is an option for speed or something.

For the F10 all the dip switches need to be in the off position which is where they are. I'll do a bit of investigation myself before bugging Mr12Volt again.

New tyre fitted (NSR) and my plug worked a treat and held pressure since it happened 4days ago. I know it can be driven as its a RFT but I still prefer this then running on zero pressure.

As a lot of you do EU trips not a bad thing to keep in the car for emergencies and also if you are running tubeless road bike/MTB tyres 😁https://muc-off.com/products/puncture-plug-repair-kit?variant=31162136789090

Edited by Percha
  • Like 1

So got some of my parts order today, from Partsinmotion

IMG-5801.jpg

And thought they are sending me my order in two lots, like they did last time.

But no, I'd only ordered one integral link and not two.

What a diddy...

But I also got

IMG-5797.jpg

for undoing the fuel lines when I do my rocker cover gasket.

Plus a gallon of brake/clutch cleaner and more Bilt Hamber cleaning chemicals.

It was like Christmas when I got home from work, along with a raised eyebrow from the wife and a stern "so what've you been buying now"....

• Like 1

Although what I get delivered is nothing when you look at the amount of stuff my wife gets delivered. 

She claims that some of it is for the kids, but I'm not so sure.

IMG-5826.jpg

“Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire”. J Hetfield 1997.  

IMG-5828.jpg

“Been waiting in the sun too long” F Healy 2001, has made my headlight get all emotional. 

Balls!

Will bite the bullet and fit a new one. 

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

IMG-5826.jpg

“Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire”. J Hetfield 1997.  

IMG-5828.jpg

“Been waiting in the sun too long” F Healy 2001, has made my headlight get all emotional. 

Balls!

Will bite the bullet and fit a new one. 

Is the headlight a common issue on these? A bloke down the road from me has a F11, and I noticed his n/s headlight is often condensated!