Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Must admit I’ve been looking at doing this too! 6wa not 6wb as well.

and the lci heated steering wheel but to retrofit I think it’s pushing towards 1k! So no thanks!

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 1

Got to test my ABS out this morning….

When a brain dead individual driving an estate Volvo decided to come round a blind bend on my side of the road.

Brakes certainly stopped me quickly and in a straight line too. Plenty of braking power when needed. Phew. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Got to test my ABS out this morning….

When a brain dead individual driving an estate Volvo decided to come round a blind bend on my side of the road.

Brakes certainly stopped me quickly and in a straight line too. Plenty of braking power when needed. Phew. 

Nice to know the F10 came through unscathed.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Dropped the 530d off for the latest recall this afternoon..... I have a 3 month old 118i overnight... it is soooo small 🙄

Somehow they managed to break a pipe while fitting the new agr assy, so I have the 118i 'Kleinzigger' for another day. But it's kostenlos so I can't exactly complain...

Getting mine ready for Disneyland Paris this weekend, tyre pressures tweaked, stupid sticker on the boot etc! Head to Dover tomorrow eve, 6:15 ferry and hope to get there early arvo, then back on the 7:15pm ferry on Monday.

• Like 1

Remember there's something occurring in the general Paris area soon and preparations are under way that may affect some routes. Give yourself time for closures and diversions.

Bought some secondhand original floor mats and tested out the high beam assistant around Suffolk last night due to the A14 being closed for overnight works ! 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

High beam assist is terrific. Wouldn’t be without in the winter out in the sticks where I live 

Has summer not hit scotland yet? 🤪

I mean the nights are drawing in....

Well I swapped the world's smallest 118i for my sensibly sized 530d this afternoon, and it is soooo nice to be back in the comfy seat.... and not need to work my way into the driving seat.

I had a quick look at the new AGR unit first... lots of shiney metal that appeared to fill a larger space than the old one. The small coolant pipes are also routed differently. Assuming it's not honking it down over the week end I may take a better look... for now I'm happy I don't have the EML on everytime I start the car. Warmup speed and any economy changes I'll monitor.

23 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Somehow they managed to break a pipe while fitting the new agr assy, so I have the 118i 'Kleinzigger' for another day. But it's kostenlos so I can't exactly complain...

Driving home from supermarket, long 30mph section and I’m doing 32mph set on my LIM and there is an I4 sat on my bumper clearly wanting me to go faster.

We get to 60 limit and I accelerate to 60. He’s still close when I ease of slightly to 55 for an S bend and I noticed the i4 had backed right off for the bends. 

Clearly embarrassed that a dinosaur powered BMW has left him for dead on the twisty bits he nails it to close the gap when back on the straight  and has to jam on the brakes to stop himself going into my bumper. 

If you are going to drive aggressively, make sure you can actually drive or have a car that can go round bends. 

I suppose if I’d spunked a huge wad of cash into an electric car and I’d lost 2/3s of that cash the moment I drove it off the forecourt, I’d drive aggressively too. 

IMG-5549.jpg

Did a parts stock take.

All the fixings to drop the exhaust 

Front anti roll bar fixings 

Rear brake replacement fixings, including new bleed nipples 

Upper cross brace bolts 

Turbo return oil line o rings 

a few radiator hoses

Plugs, coils and filters for major service later this year.

I’ll need to check what fluids I have next but I’ve enough for next service or two…

@Andrew have you fitted the centre caps yet? mine all done now as well as full tyre/wheel clean not perfect but pretty good considering they were refurbed 4.5yrs ago.

The centre caps I bought are definetly not as premium to hold but they fit well although much more flush to the wheel centre. In general though tidy up the wheel look no end. Just wondered if yours were the same?

35 minutes ago, Percha said:

@Andrew have you fitted the centre caps yet?

Yeah the this years purchase of best quality Chineseium grade ones went on when the summers went on back in May.

They looked ok today when I was fettling with mine doing an ABS pressure bleed of the brakes, 

DSCN4498.jpg

Up on all fours to get to each bleed nipple, also replaced the rear two with TRW as they were beginning to look a bit crusty for my liking. Don't worry I cleaned up the spilt brake fluid. Stuff goes everywhere.

Also swapped out the hub nuts.

IMG-1863.jpg

as I was scared mine would end up like this, on @VPCAPTAIN's E92 of not dissimilar vintage as my F10, plus it was an E92 from the less wet and warmer down south, and didn't spend the first three years of its life in Aberdeen where they grit the road 10 months out of 12...

IMG_5576.jpg

36mm 12 point impact socket on my Dewalt took them off without much of a fuss after undoing the locking part of the nut.

After torqueing to 100 Nm

IMG-5584.jpg

make some marks so you know when its gone thru 45 degrees.

IMG-5589.jpg

Big bar needed, 1000mm 3/4" drive with a 3/4" 36mm 12 point socket and a heave round

IMG-5585.jpg

Done,

IMG-5588.jpg

just to chisel in the flange of the nut to lock it in place.

Given the torque applied, the screwdriver I had positioned to lock the disc wasn't needed it didn't jam itself as planned.  Handbrake resisted the forces, despite its pads not being in the first flush of youth.

IMG_5594.jpg

And before I put my wheels back on I used my drill to clean the disc to alloy mating surfaces.

After which my drill that my dad gave me on my 16th Birthday, (30 years ago next month 😰), decided to strip its drive gears and is now in the trailer waiting to got to the tip.

Cleared a few fault codes from the system which were generated by having the ignition on with the brake fluid cap off so it though it was on low brake fluid level. Test drive was fine, plenty of power in brakes but no noticeable improvement in pedal which last time around there was.

• Like 1

Back from Disneyland, the F10 was awesome. Soaked up the miles effortlessly, so comfy, you wouldn’t have a clue it was on 115k miles 🙂 first time spending that much time in it and loved it, got back yesterday around 10:30 after about 6 hours driving (thanks to uk stupid road closures) and didn’t feel worn out, defo would have in my old F3x’s. What a superb car for the money.

reckon I probably averaged around 45mpg for the trip, not hanging around at French speed limits! Filled up at Folkestone on the way to Dover, got to Disney and all the way back to Hampshire and still have over 100 miles left in the tank 👍

On that, my takeaways from the trip:

French Motorways are so much better and smoother than ours. (But then there was about £20 of tolls)

Roadworks don’t cause any issues and no holdups anywhere, just a bit busy round Paris.

130kmh (80ish mph) when dry and 110 when wet is a much better than our limits (but our roads are stupid busy full of numpties that can’t drive so don’t let them go faster!).

French lane discipline is much better (refer to the numpties mentioned above), they actually keep right on the whole, knew I was back in the Uk with the wonderful concrete surfaces, road closures and streams of cars in the middle lane overtaking nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skyjawa said:

Back from Disneyland, the F10 was awesome. Soaked up the miles effortlessly, so comfy, you wouldn’t have a clue it was on 115k miles 🙂 first time spending that much time in it and loved it, got back yesterday around 10:30 after about 6 hours driving (thanks to uk stupid road closures) and didn’t feel worn out, defo would have in my old F3x’s. What a superb car for the money.

reckon I probably averaged around 45mpg for the trip, not hanging around at French speed limits! Filled up at Folkestone on the way to Dover, got to Disney and all the way back to Hampshire and still have over 100 miles left in the tank 👍

On that, my takeaways from the trip:

French Motorways are so much better and smoother than ours. (But then there was about £20 of tolls)

Roadworks don’t cause any issues and no holdups anywhere, just a bit busy round Paris.

130kmh (80ish mph) when dry and 110 when wet is a much better than our limits (but our roads are stupid busy full of numpties that can’t drive so don’t let them go faster!).

French lane discipline is much better (refer to the numpties mentioned above), they actually keep right on the whole, knew I was back in the Uk with the wonderful concrete surfaces, road closures and streams of cars in the middle lane overtaking nothing.

Agree 100%

8 hours ago, skyjawa said:

French lane discipline is much better.

At moving back in yes, but they lack anticipation. You can be almost on top of them going past when they suddenly pull out to go around a lorry. They also love to go up your arse even if you're mid overtake. And they drift over the line more than here. Swings and roundabouts... 

Lane discipline is good but you have to plan along way ahead as everyone travels about the same speed and can get boxed in. Tailgating can be unnerving but generally I like driving on the continent. 

This time last year I was driving the Alfa to Salamanca. Good times.