Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

1 hour ago, skyjawa said:

That cleaning kit costs more than I can buy a new clean paper element for. I’m not sold (pun fully intended) on them. 😆

• Like 1

Was in my local dealer picking up a load of suspension bolts for @VPCAPTAIN's F11 and a set of spark plugs for mine.

As my local dealer is now Arnold Clark, they can also get me Fomoco/Motorcraft parts for my wifes Kuga. I also ordered spark plugs for the Kuga which were more expensive than the BMW plugs for mine.

I was only too glad to tell my wife that after she pointed out that my car must be rubbish if I've had to replace a wing mirror glass and a door handle in just one weekend.......

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andrew said:

That cleaning kit costs more than I can buy a new clean paper element for. I’m not sold (pun fully intended) on them. 😆

Yeah true, though they do last for ages and many cleans/re-oils. I used to have the induction kit and get the point of them, but panel filter wise I’m not convinced it’s worth it, especially on more modern cars….

Edited by skyjawa

Pics from my trip to the dealer earlier today

IMG-5405.jpg

Enough nuts and bolts to fit a replacement lower arm to @VPCAPTAIN's F11.  Needs a new balljoint and an integral link.

IMG-5408.jpg

And enough spark plugs for my upcoming service.

Had a wander thru the showroom, as you do. This was the only semi decent thing they had inside, i.e. not an SUV or full on electric.

IMG-5359.jpg

IMG-5358.jpg

Minimum number of cylinders but hybrid.  Boo.

Yes, yes, I'm a Dinosaur....

• Haha 1

Yes, there is a cleaning kit and I do have one. Maybe, being a Londoner born and bred, we're used to manky air😂, so the filter wasn't clean, but not dirty by 'London' standards. I'll investigate further and may clean it.😊

• Sad 1

First interior clean since I bought it in Mar 23.

Clean boot, all doors and shuts, floors, mats, leather, seals, gummifledge seals, windows on inside, cockpit cleaner etc.

OMG the steering wheel. Got the Dr Leather wipes on it, the colour that came off was 🤮 even after 3 separate wiping cloths was still nasty! Cleaned up and treated with bmw leather care.

All lovely now, shame the outside is still vile 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played with Bimmercode, now the mirrors close without delay when locking as does the roof. The boot closes with one touch and the inside boot button closes as well as opens the boot. 

All first world problems resolved !

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kopfjaeger said:

Yes, there is a cleaning kit and I do have one. Maybe, being a Londoner born and bred, we're used to manky air😂, so the filter wasn't clean, but not dirty by 'London' standards. I'll investigate further and may clean it.😊

Replace it with paper!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopfjaeger said:

I prefer the performance benefit of the KN filter. 

You already have north of 300bhp, how much more will a K&N element give you and would you (I really mean I) even notice it?

• Like 1

@Munzy I had an old guy compliment my almost identical F11 the other day whilst getting an alignment. It's rare people comment on the BMW but it was nice to be appreciated. I think it's a great looking car, shame the design has gone so far downhill in the last five years. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

shame the design has gone so far downhill in the last five years. 

Supposedly due to the Chinese market. They look for certain styles and as it’s such a big market, bmw bow down to pressure.

Ugly big grills etc 

@duncan-uk here you go.

I like as much front camber and as little rear camber as possible. I've got adjustable front upper wishbones with the ball joint pushed right in. The rear of mine needs a full suspension bush/arm refresh. It's maxxed out on toe adjustment one side, so simply set to match. Too crusty to adjust at the moment. 

I go for close to parallel with minimal toe in up front because I find no downside in terms of straight line stability and it turns in/wears better. At the rear I run a bit more toe in for stability under hard cornering but usually only 0.05-0.10 per side. 

IMG20240608133823.thumb.jpg.966566c84c27a64c110a489da1060fb7.jpg

On 14/06/2024 at 08:22, Andrew said:

You already have north of 300bhp, how much more will a K&N element give you and would you (I really mean I) even notice it?

Well, when I put it in, I noticed a difference. It's a personal choice thing.

I cleaned it this morning. Cleaning it is a PITA. It's currently in the airing cupboard drying. When it's dry, I need to oil it, before refitting. So maybe a waste of time and money for some, but not for me.

In the meantime, there is a Mahle 'paper' filter fitted as a temporary solution.

The KN filter is £65. A cleaning kit is £18. I reckon I'll get another clean out of the kit. So roughly £83, for 4 years. The Mahle filters are about £20, so depending on how often you change them (annually or bi annually) it's a similar cost, or £40 premium. Either way, not much to pay, if you think you get a benefit.😊

I decided it's been too long since I've done a retrofit so I picked up a virginised 6WA cluster off eBay for £220.

Installed and coded in within an hour. Also coded in the CD changer ready to install a Mr12Volt Apple CarPlay box next month.

NewDash.thumb.jpg.9ab452b9aac6dd357517cecd1b54cb5a.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve84N said:

@mullinsj08 you did well to get one at that price, was harder for me to find one being petrol. I think they're the nicest looking dials, including the 6WB digital ones. Good upgrade. 👍🏻

@Steve84N There's loads around that price for diesel. I only saw one or two petrol ones so I know what you mean. Definitely makes the interior seem more modern. Thanks! 😁

• Like 1