Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

2 hours ago, Dimsum said:

Full service with the main dealer who kindly relieved me of £608. 

Oooft

A colleague at work with a 340i was relieved of over £700 for a service recently. 

I’m diy my major service later this year, all filters plus plugs and coils. I’ll be £200 - £250 for parts I suppose. 

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Assuming New sensor and required service warning was at least yellow or red. If green reset not possible. 

Handbrake needs to be off before reset procedure will work.

Follow this post 

Thank you Andrew

IMG_2483.thumb.jpeg.43aeafbb390b3f78635f39a152bca1e9.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Gents

I have these two rust spots appearing.  I don't think they have gotten any worse over the three years I've had the car but the car is still covered by corrosion warranty until 27 so I asked my local BMW shop.

This one is on the top of the front passenger door

IMG_2484.thumb.jpeg.20e5556e894d48c81f402c108c350abd.jpeg

And this is on the leading edge of the OSR door...

IMG_2485.thumb.jpeg.1814239e6773cb6383626b5b4d0fcb74.jpeg

They replied...

BMW have authorised repairs to the corrosion on your doors, But BMW will not pay for blends, which is adjacent panels to the ones being repaired, So the cost of this is £988.73+vat.

Before I call him to yay or nay what does he mean?  Do I have to have the blending with adjacent panels done too?

Thanks

Daren

25 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

BMW have authorised repairs to the corrosion on your doors, But BMW will not pay for blends, which is adjacent panels to the ones being repaired, So the cost of this is £988.73+vat.

Before I call him to yay or nay what does he mean?  Do I have to have the blending with adjacent panels done too?

Thanks

Daren

What BMW are saying is they will do a local repair to address the corrosion but will not then respray the full door or that side of the car so that it is not obvious to the eye that it has had a local repair.

If they just do a spot repair there is a chance that the paint applied locally will not match the paint on the rest of the panel because the rest of the panel is X years older and has been exposed to the environment. 

In other words BMW will only prep and paint a small patch and not prep and paint the full panel or side of the car as they are arguing that they are only 'het' for the local corrosion.

On the previous forum there was much chat about the 'door' corrosion on these cars.  They all have it to some degree.  Mine has it but it is tiny and has not got any bogger on the years I've been looking at it.

I'm not getting mine done as I fear it will be more hassle/problematic (as demonstrated by your post) than I feel its worth.

But it's your car and you need to do what you think is right for you and your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@F10-65 I had mine done back in 2021 by Maidstone BMW dealership (where I assume you went), they repainted full four doors as far as I am aware (for sure used cutting compound/polish on the whole panel as it was soft to touch even at the bottom where tar is normally embedded in the paint) and made a very good job of it, this was at no cost to me they had it for 1.5weeks.

I was very pleased and glad I had it done, yes you can see that the paint is different finish between front wing (original) and door but its negligible and my paint Sophisto Grey seems to not be a colour where its very noticeable for sure lighter colours it can be a different story.

20210325_113645.jpg

20210325_113629.jpg

20240607_120020.jpg

Edited by Percha
  • Thanks 1

On 01/06/2024 at 11:06, Andrew said:

When I’ve fitted new shocks, you can feel difference within a few hundred meters of driving. It’s a great sensation.

Are Bilsteins worth the cash? 

The difference to me is Night and Day, the car feels more planted on the road, steers easier, less body roll and remains flatter under acceleration and hard braking (even felt the rear brakes for the first time under heavy braking). Car feels more agile, controllable and planted on the road. Having had standard suspension with standard then H+R springs definitely worth the investment if you intend to keep the car or enjoy driving quickly.

• Like 1

If you want it fixed I’d just get a local repair from the likes of chipsaway or similar.  I’ve had a few cars done this way for marks and couldn’t tell it had been done. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than that quote too!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

On the previous forum there was much chat about the 'door' corrosion on these cars.  They all have it to some degree.  Mine has it but it is tiny and has not got any bogger on the years I've been looking at it.

I'm not getting mine done as I fear it will be more hassle/problematic (as demonstrated by your post) than I feel its worth.

But it's your car and you need to do what you think is right for you and your car.

This.

Had my headlights resealed by House of Headlights in Leyton, London. Spent the day in London with my daughter which was great, just forgot how much I hate driving in London !

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, skyjawa said:

If you want it fixed I’d just get a local repair from the likes of chipsaway or similar.  I’ve had a few cars done this way for marks and couldn’t tell it had been done. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than that quote too!

Had a dent in the door filled and then sprayed and blended with the rest of the door a couple of weeks back and that was about £350. They had the car for 3 days.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody for your inputs.  Its not about whats right for me its the fact that the car is covered by a 12 year anti corrosion warranty.  I'm sure if i read the terms and conditions it won't say we'll only bodge the repair.

I'll leave it. It'll make more issues than it solves I'm sure.

7 hours ago, 999mch said:

Had my headlights resealed by House of Headlights in Leyton, London. Spent the day in London with my daughter which was great, just forgot how much I hate driving in London !

I remember the days before speed cameras in London, it was busy but I had a customer I used to visit to service their equipment at like 4am so driving in, the place was deserted.  I had a Clio Williams 3 so I could tear all the way into the Westend and back out on empty roads.

Now though, cameras everywhere and recently we have the 20 mph blanket.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Thanks everybody for your inputs.  Its not about whats right for me its the fact that the car is covered by a 12 year anti corrosion warranty.  I'm sure if i read the terms and conditions it won't say we'll only bodge the repair.

I'll leave it. It'll make more issues than it solves I'm sure.

That is a very good point.

If you have faith in your BMW dealer doing a good job then by all means push the 12 year anti corrosion warranty. 

In my most humblest of opinions, independent body shops are usually better at doing these sorts of repairs.  But you then need to stump up. 

It’s is a tricky decision. 

• Like 1

A good thing and a bad thing. I initialised my failing headlight and all is good now, the bad thing I have to do another driving course after being an absolute tearaway doing 37 in a 30. It was a big wide road and the music took over.

• Haha 1

Also did a check on the grommet of doom. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been replaced from the original until last year when I did it. The original (6.5 years old) was a little crusty looking, but hadn't failed. But, I replaced it anyway. Just over a year later, it still looks new and there was little to clean out.

20230528_175509.jpg

20230528_185013.jpg

20240609_144216.jpg

• Like 1

Replaced my sticky drivers door handle.

IMG-5259.jpg

Was not looking forward to this trim job, the thought of lots of snappy little clips waiting to break or spring back into place trapping your fingers with enough force to crush bone. But it actually wasn't too bad.

IMG_5342.jpg

and it then got another very quick wash.

Need a proper spannering job next.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kopfjaeger said:

Didn't look dirty enough to clean. 

20240609_152131.jpg

Looks well manky in my book, but then I have automotive OCD🤪.  I'd have replaced it if it was a paper filter.

How do you clean a (K&N?) filter like that?

On 09/06/2024 at 21:23, Andrew said:

Looks well manky in my book, but then I have automotive OCD🤪.  I'd have replaced it if it was a paper filter.

How do you clean a (K&N?) filter like that?

Assume the same way as an induction kit, they have a cleaning and re-oiling kit….

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/knn995003eu?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyJqzBhBaEiwAWDRJVArqw34ydQ0j4wCqKky3g9Vxyk977w6STHd_KZjfnZn7MGqgIOVPIRoCtx0QAvD_BwE