Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Booked mine in for a four wheel alignment on Friday morning. 

I want to rule out anything untoward now that it’s got new front tyres on it. 

Tyre fitter recommended it on seeing the way the old now replaced front tyres have cracked and broken up. 

On checking the front pair of winters that came off they show similar wear but to a significantly reduced extent but they are mounted on an 8” rim rather than an 8.5” rim so it’s not a true like for like comparison. 

I nearly got to do a fellow 5'er (F10 520d, 63 plate) a good deed yesterday.  He was stopped half on and half off the kerb right in front of the traffic lights.   So I pulled up in front of him, jumped out and he said he'd been there for about an hour with no start.  He accepted my offer to give him a tow (always have a tow rope in the boot).  I was going to tow him just over the road into the back of the Tesco car park.  Got the tow eyes both in and the towline hooked up.  He tried the car per chance and hey presto it started.

He just needed a little good luck.

• Like 3

Hope the car you attempted to rescue @F10-65 was a manual as to get an auto out of park without the engine running is quite a pain involving removing gearbox underbelly (which means jacking it up) and screwing in a bolt on the side of the transmission. 

However rule #1 when a BMW refuses to work or work properly is to switch it off and switch it back on again…..

Usually works. As it did in this case 

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hope the car you attempted to rescue @F10-65 was a manual as to get an auto out of park without the engine running is quite a pain involving removing gearbox underbelly (which means jacking it up) and screwing in a bolt on the side of the transmission. 

However rule #1 when a BMW refuses to work or work properly is to switch it off and switch it back on again…..

Usually works. As it did in this case 

Manual indeed

i I think there’s a trick now to get an auto into neutral as that bolt isn’t in the tool tray anymore

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

Manual indeed

i I think there’s a trick now to get an auto into neutral as that bolt isn’t in the tool tray anymore

image.thumb.png.93e5d525f86cd2c8278cac6d9b4142ab.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheels were off at the weekend for a good thorough scrub all over and new centre caps with the German MSport stickers too.

All nicely lined up with the lock nut

IMG_2402.thumb.jpeg.cdf6b26651370d60fe6d315d41c96614.jpeg

IMG_2401.thumb.jpeg.babdcf836e2dd017d5abcaa2613c3321.jpeg

IMG_2400.thumb.jpeg.184afe461fc5c94fb6da0424e2384bbb.jpeg

At the wheel alignment place

IMG-5104.jpg

front near side toe was out as above it’s being adjusted with the aid of a hot spanner as I type. 

rear was spot on.

Not bad considering the state of the roads and it was 31,000 miles and 8 years ago since it was last done. 

• Like 1

More pics from todays wheel alignment visit.

IMG-5100.jpg

Target in place for the Hunter system to fire it lasers at each wheel

IMG-5105-No-reg.jpg

Great service from the team at Collins Tyre Services in Johnstone. Proper friendly family run business.

IMG-5108.jpg

Their tech, Derek was happy to let me see what was going on and gave me the above print out.

Not bad considering all the work I've done to it and the Scottish potholes it has to contend with.

£60 well spent. Followed by £90+ on fuel......

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 16:56, skyjawa said:

IMG_6723.jpeg

and @Steve84N

How did you replace these then?  Do you have to take the door card off and then unscrew it from what would be the other/door side of the door card?

IMG-5112.jpg

C5-D3-E394-1902-4-FF1-8-AA2-C75-FF07-BE7

Screw holes but accessed from the other side of the door card?  Guessing the switches just clip in/out?

Postie brought me mine today but I can't find owt in NewTIS that shows this part specifically.  I've even stumped @Matthew on where to find it.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

and @Steve84N

How did you replace these then?  Do you have to take the door card off and then unscrew it from what would be the other/door side of the door card?

Screw holes but accessed from the other side of the door card?  Guessing the switches just clip in/out?

Postie brought me mine today but I can't find owt in NewTIS that shows this part specifically.  I've even stumped @Matthew on where to find it.

The workshop manual is pretty clear that the only way is to remove the door card and unscrew the 3 retaining screws and pop out the plastic trim from the backside of the door card.

But there is nothing specific in NewTIS that shows that particular part that I can find. I can’t see a picture that shows the screws you mention @Matthew

It shows the door lock release lever and cover being removed but not the handle that retains the switches. 

@Andrewdon't worry about manuals, it's self explanatory. Do you know how to take the door card off, in particular the door handle surround without breaking the tabs?

Once it's off the screws are visible and obvious. Then it's a wrestling match with the many clips. Smart way would be to use a plastic pry tool and bits of cable tie to hold each one 'open' whilst you move onto the next one. 

Once the handle is out you can unscrew the switches from it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

But there is nothing specific in NewTIS that shows that particular part that I can find. I can’t see a picture that shows the screws you mention @Matthew

It shows the door lock release lever and cover being removed but not the handle that retains the switches. 

In the first picture, Number 1 points to the 3 screws and Number 2 is the bottom of your trim that you need to push up and out of the door card.

61 31 117Removing and installing/replacing power window switch (driver's side)

1Ly5z2h Necessary preliminary tasks:
B9NFhIFI

Release screws (1).

Remove ashtray trim (2) from door trim (3) in direction of arrow.

Installation:

Make sure ashtray trim (2) is correctly seated.

B9Fsymlu

Release retaining tabs (1) and clips (2).

Remove switch (3) in direction of arrow.

Installation:

Make sure switch (3) is correctly seated.

Edited by Matthew
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Matthew @Steve84N @skyjawa Its I just hate dealing with internal trim, it’s all little annoying snappy clips that break and if I break the door card I’m in a world of pain. 

I wanted to see what was involved first.

Give me bolts on engines, brakes and suspension over pissy trim clips any day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean about messing with trim, I’ve done it a few times now, when I fitted the speakers and the new handle, if you follow the video and work you way round all the clips it should be fine, I’ve not broken anything and had all the door cards off previously 👍

• Thanks 1

On Saturday I tackled the front passenger side door handle as the rubber coating on the back was coming off on peoples hands.

Image(5).thumb.jpg.e822368ff59a1da43ce6697d198472a6.jpg

It was surprisingly easy to get the door card off although I couldn't for the life of me work out how to disconnect the window switch. So instead I left it connected and pushed it through the opening so I could link it with the new handle.

DoorHandle.thumb.jpg.990e08cb0fa415b3098aa0de255ef236.jpg

New handle on and everything given a clean.

I need to do the driver-side one next because it looks like my car was previously driven by Edward Scissorhands 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^That is a good price for Castrol edge.

I have no idea what Titanium FST is or does, might as well be ground up unicorn horns for all I know. 🤣

I've used that oil in both my E60 and F10.

NS airbag audibly leaking tonight after my drive up to Edinburgh. This is on top of the leaking exhaust valve in the compressor which I haven't fixed