Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

2 hours ago, Percha said:

why is your local trusted tyre fitter not fitting them to the car and only the wheels?

I'm still running on my winters so I can keep driving the car (need it for work this week and the weekend its dad taxi and generally earning its keep....) while I drop the summer wheels off tomorrow for them to fit the new tyres to them on Wednesday or Thursday and I'll collect them on my way home from work.

2 hours ago, Percha said:

What do you mean extra cost on £8 per tyre for go flats? These are run flats hence the ZP ID meaning Zero Pressure?

Lol, English was never my strong point at school but it's what @skyjawa said. 

38 minutes ago, Percha said:

i.e similar price and you have the fallback possibility of run flat to carry on driving with a puncture until you can fix it. 

^this, besides I'm not brave enough to phone up my wife and say I can't pick up Child 1 or 2 from school/nursery/dancing/Brownies/gymnastics etc etc as I've got a puncture.  Get the car home and then swap the punctured tyre for the other set I've got in my garage. Then take punctured tyre for repair/replacement at a more convenient time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Primacy 3 ZP.

Because…..

The extra cost over go flats was £8 per tyre and most importantly they have A rating for wet braking. The Pilot Sports I looked at only had B rating for wet braking. They are also today’s equivalent of what it rolled off the production line all those years ago. And a like for like swap with what’s on it now.

I want to stop in the wet as my #1 in tyre choice. 

Yes PS5 have an A rating for wet too - all personal preference isnt it.

Mine rolled off production line with Goodyear Excellence 245/40 R19 RFTs. I just looked them up out of interest again on rating as its been a while since I last ordered a pair (2021).

B rating in wet, but this information is given: A tyre's wet grip capacity is expressed in Grades from A to E. The difference in braking distances between each grade is roughly 3m - an average car length.

3m is pretty negligable for a given scenario, I mean depending on reaction times and weather conditions, road surface etc so many variables, conclusion there isnt much in it, but I fully agree go with the best grade you can!

I think my tyres perform very well all round, but never had any others so hard to compare 😆

Changing a pair of "MICHELIN PRIMACY 225/45 R17 91V" on our 116D from tyres stamped up from 2017 made a world of difference, quiter,grippier and much less harsh, I guess the old ones had to some extent gone brittle!

Edited by Percha
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes PS5 have an A rating for wet too - all personal preference isnt it.

Yeah absolutely, the tyre threads on the old forum always degenerated as it’s just that personal choice. 

I got a price for PS4 which were more expensive and was told they were B for wet grip so that was enough to swing it back to Primacy 3.

Didn’t get a quote for PS5…. Mibbies I should have. 

12 minutes ago, Percha said:

3m is pretty negligable for a given scenario, I mean depending on reaction times and weather conditions, road surface etc so many variables, conclusion there isnt much in it, but I fully agree go with the best grade you can!

You could argue that 3m is enough to stop you hitting something but agree with all the factors you say. Besides I live in West Central Scotland so when it’s not raining it’s raining heavily…. I’d be better with a hull instead of wheels. 

12 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Did you consider all seasons?

No as I have a full winter set up although they need replacing too.

12 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Look at that filth - Gary will be cross with you!

I won’t tell him if you don’t. 

2 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

But PS5 don't come as ZP

Yes, ive gone for non RFT and take tyre goo and a compressor - RFTs cant be repaired so either way you're into a new tyre and i prefer the more compliant ride but of course thats my preference.

5 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

RFTs cant be repaired 

That’s incorrect 

BMW themselves authorise repairs to certain makes of rft provided the tyre has not been run on flat.

image_(5).jpg

My local tyre fitter was happy to repair a rft for me as I had not driven it flat. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes, ive gone for non RFT and take tyre goo and a compressor - RFTs cant be repaired so either way you're into a new tyre and i prefer the more compliant ride but of course thats my preference.

If you go to the big boys, they wont touch them but my local (and mobile) tyre fitter will fix.  I suspect the big boys just cant be bothered with repairs so its an easy excuse for them.  I've had two of my PS4ZP's repaired.  If the puncture is on the edge they wont fix even a non ZP so youre into a new tyre anyway.

I bought ZP's but I also have goo and a pump in the boot.  Never know when me or anybody else may need a fix

7 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Id love the 5's but too risky between here and Italy in the middle of the night.  ZPs for me

Edited by F10-65

3 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

If you go to the big boys, they wont touch them 

I think it’s as they’ve repaired a tyre that had been run on flat and it then popped and caused damage and had their ass sued! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

TBH nothing beats a full size spare IMO

Not fun though... Two years ago, middle of the night in Belgium, ran over, at about 90, a crate in the road in front of me.  No hard shoulder, no lights. I forgot the handbrake, Passat fell off the jack.  Managed to get it back up and the full size spare fitted but flippin' scary.

Them ZPs would have been good then

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

TBH nothing beats a full size spare IMO

This!

But the lentil munchers tell you that lugging a spare wheel about uses more fuel thus makes the car less eco friendly. 

My E39 had a fifth alloy as a spare. Last car I owned that had a spare. Senator was a steel spare albeit same size 

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I like lentils by the way.

Nuff said….

3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Probably rusty knowing old vauxhalls!

Wrong again, twice in one night 😝 

It was unused and immaculate when I got rid of it at 14 years old. Stored upright in the inner nearside rear wing. 

Dropped the summer wheels off at just after 9am this morning and got a call 2 hours later to say they are ready to collect.

They recommend a wheel alignment to check all is well as the tyres have suffered some quite bad cracking on the outside edge but the winter tyres are fine.

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

It's not down to the chords so its technically not an MOT failure but I'm not convinced by them. Pity as I reckon there is still at least 5,000 miles worth of tread left on them.

Also pulled the trigger on some replacement alloy centre caps from eBay.  Genuine Chineseum grade. Be o.k, for a summer.