Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

3 hours ago, F10-65 said:

I’m not going to ask what your spend has been over your ownership.  Even though I’d like to know.

I couldn’t honestly tell you.

Yes I have all the receipts but I’ve never added it all up. 

New front brakes, front wheel bearings, both lower arms, complete new struts x4. A new headlight, new FEAD, Oil filter housing gaskets, brake backing plates. Drop links x4 rear anti roll bar bushes. Some hoses and lots of nuts and bolts. 

Many oil, air and pollen filters, 6 spark plugs and just last week 6 ignition coils. 

Still to do

diff bushes 

Prop giubos 

Autobox service 

Rear brakes 

Aircon condenser 

Rear ball joints 

• Haha 1

Had a new rocker cover and gasket fitted - had intermittent oil leaking at the back left, dripping on to exhaust/dpf with nasty smoke coming into the cabin.

161k, so not bad for the original. 

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 2

IMG_4388.HEICIMG_4389.HEICHad my poor F11 recovered 55 miles from work near Coventry back to Buckinghamshire and my nearest garage. Aux/alternator belt snapped in work car park yesterday leaving me with a a warning of non charging and a rapidly heating up engine! Now waiting for the garage to find the time to check if the belt has snapped or it’s been thrown by a broken tension or pulley… Grrrr

IMG_4389.HEIC

Edited by Andy5150
  • Sad 1

On 17/04/2024 at 21:06, Munzy said:

Had a new rocker cover and gasket fitted - had intermittent oil leaking at the back left, dripping on to exhaust/dpf with nasty smoke coming into the cabin.

161k, so not bad for the original. 

That's not bad at all. Mine got done last weekend, failed at 127k. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy5150 said:

IMG_4388.HEICIMG_4389.HEICHad my poor F11 recovered 55 miles from work near Coventry back to Buckinghamshire and my nearest garage. Aux/alternator belt snapped in work car park yesterday leaving me with a a warning of non charging and a rapidly heating up engine!

Oooo that's not good.

Hope it's not damaged anything.

On 19/04/2024 at 09:59, Andrew said:

Oooo that's not good

Went to the garage (an Indy, not a main dealer) and they confirmed the belt is fine (although will be replaced) - it’s the crank pulley that sheared off. Turns out it’s rather common (in fact a friend’s 2019 340i had the same thing happen to it on only 35k miles!). The mechanic said to me “I don’t know what your mileage is but we see quite a few of these and they nearly always go around 120k miles) - he laughed when i told him I’m on 118k! As the part is a harmonic balancer there’s a substantial rubber component to the pulley which eventually dries, cracks and shears off. Supposedly a common fault although not one I’ve ever heard of it in the traditional timing-chain/yellow grommet/etc list of things to look for on the F generation.

Waiting to hear from the garage if it’s complete before 1pm otherwise it’ll be Monday. All being well it should be just the pulley and a new belt - current quote is £420. Pricey but I would have felt out of my depth trying to fix that. Not that I could now anyway because I’d have no way of recovering it home - I think I’d get about a mile before it would die from either overheating, no electrical power or both!! 😅

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 19/04/2024 at 09:59, Andrew said:

Hope it's not damaged anything.

Excellent tutorial, as always, Andrew - thank you for sharing! I think I’d be happy enough doing the aux belt on the B47 as there’s plenty of space in the front, unlike in the 535i but I’d draw the line at attempting the sheared crank pulley in mine. 

Ah right it’s the harmonic damper. It is in two pieces, the hub bolts with 6(?) bolts to the crankshaft hub and there is an outer ring that drives the belt. In between there is a rubber part that bonds the two metallic parts of the damper together and helps it dampen out vibrations. It’s this rubber that gives out. 

Yes it’s been discussed on here (possibly on old version) but usually it can be caught with a noticeably increasing vibration before it lets go. 

Make sure all parts of the belt system are replaced as they wear as a set, tensioner, idlers etc. 

2 hours ago, Andy5150 said:

The mechanic said to me “I don’t know what your mileage is but we see quite a few of these and they nearly always go around 120k miles) - he laughed when i told him I’m on 118k!

Spot on! Mine went at 120k on my 530d N57 F11 🙂 

Same - £500 at my local indy.

Edited by Munzy

I've replaced the harmonic balancer on my 535i. It's actually easy once you strip out the radiator fan, something I've done many times now to gain access. Just six low torque bolts. The part is the thick end of £500 but I found an almost new one for £150. Came from a garage in Germany that fit new engines and sell on new (but been fitted) auxiliaries for cut down prices. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

In between there is a rubber part that bonds the two metallic parts of the damper together and helps it dampen out vibrations. It’s this rubber that gives out.

That’s exactly it! The garage offered me the offending item (items now!) as rather unusual paperweight! That inner rubber ring is seriously thick and yet it just shows how perished it must have become to shear off like that. 

Job done but took them a while, in part because they’d been sent the wrong part which they then had to wait for its more expensive replacement. Final job was £480, so pretty much bang in the same as @Munzy paid. The mechanic told me that the torquing was a challenge as they had to remove all the under trays to get the additional angle rotation after initial torquing-up. Aside from that, all pretty straightforward.

Interestingly it’s quite noticeably smoother than before. I’d not noticed to loss of smoothness but I suppose it had become gradual. There had recently been a feint whine noise when the engine was cold which raised and lowered with the revs and this has no gone. I wonder if this was a tell-tale sign of impending collapse of the pulley? 

Looking forward to a proper drive again - spend the rest of the day cleaning and valeting. Happy to have it back.

6A186EEF-9DE5-4BDF-A12B-A5685C9D3D57.jpeg

B7EF0ADA-80FB-4ACE-934C-34ACC6D7B63D.jpeg

Edited by Andy5150
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

This is my paper weight; e36 m3 evo piston after i dropped a plug 🤬🤬🤬IMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.42700d177d853cd1cbefc6971e01113d.jpeg

A MUCH cooler paperweight than mine! Albeit I’m not sure I’d have wanted to go through THAT to get hold of it!

IMG_2746.thumb.jpeg.c6b91578e2ff2966aeeb2faff811f2ef.jpeg

The offending M3 plug…

IMG_2747.thumb.jpeg.f2eafe3b2cdcecc1aee4359d9fa8b966.jpeg

And this is a piston from an outboard we rebuilt on a fish dock in Tobago. Travelled ther lightly packed clothes wise but with my socket set and various motor spares!

Ordered two new front Michelin Primacy 3 tyres from my local trusted tyre fitter.  Will drop wheels off on Wednesday and collect later that day or Thursday. 

Primacy 3 ZP.

Because…..

The extra cost over go flats was £8 per tyre and most importantly they have A rating for wet braking. The Pilot Sports I looked at only had B rating for wet braking. They are also today’s equivalent of what it rolled off the production line all those years ago. And a like for like swap with what’s on it now.

I want to stop in the wet as my #1 in tyre choice. 

IMG-4986.jpg

Why I’m needing replacements at 7 years old. Tread depth is ok but…..

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

Ordered two new front Michelin Primacy 3 tyres from my local trusted tyre fitter.  Will drop wheels off on Wednesday and collect later that day or Thursday. 

We have these on the 116D very good tyres, why is your local trusted tyre fitter not fitting them to the car and only the wheels?

What do you mean extra cost on £8 per tyre for go flats? These are run flats hence the ZP ID meaning Zero Pressure?