Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Not today however in the last couple of weeks I had my DPF cleaned as I had Carly reporting 65g ash mass along with a persistent drivetrain warning. The identified limit being 60g I had my local mechanics over here remove, send to a certified cleaner and refit the DPF for €500 all in, which is a decent cash price here.

Once refitted it easily passed the Bimmer-Tool test for exhaust backpressure and thus I used Bimmer-Tool to reset the DPF adaptations... something Carly cannot do. In the week following all this the fuel economy has more readily stayed good(it had not dropped appreciably beforehand), but power delivery is noticeably better.

Next up will be nagging BMW again as I'm still waiting on the new egr valve/cooler assembly recall.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

I have pressure bled my brakes many times now. 

But I have pressure bled my brakes while activating the ABS pump once. 

I only noticed a difference in pedal feel following the ABS pump method. 

Or was that due to a different dot4 LV fluid? 

Don’t worry @Rimvyz it will be fine what you’ve done.

I have my gearbox mount to swap out too as it’s probably cracked like the prop giubos…. 

Yea it is fine but not great, my 2006 vw had much better brakes, the pedal is way too soft and need to press it almost half way to start braking, I might try the ABS pump method but I need to activate it somehow 🥲

So it's even more drama with the car following a too early celebrated clean MOT a few weeks ago 😂

Rocker cover gasket failed yesterday on a local drive. Burning oil smoke and smell in the cabin and bonnet etc. 

So now I'm having to do the following, mostly via a relative who's much more handy with car stuff than me.

- New rocker cover plus gaskets

- New injector copper seals 

- exhaust sensor before the turbo and also the metal pipe because I believe they clog up with carbon according to YouTube. I don't fancy cleaning it up a new one is affordable. (Any advice on this one is appreciated, error code 25EC00, 25E400 and 2AB700).

- Glow plugs are a maybe, we fear they're seized in hard and scared of snapping them. Might get my trusted mechanic to have a look.  

All standard stuff I suppose. Back on the driveway for the foreseeable! 

Edited by RH27
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Percha said:

Ouch how many miles are you on @RH27?

127k now.

Most of the stuff listed was a, 'whilst I'm there I might aswell', since it needs stripping out for the rocker gasket job. 

Got my Autodoc order (coils and pollen filters) earlier this week 

IMG-4926.jpg

And went to pick up a spare 8’ fence post from my dads, went in easily.

IMG-4949.jpg

• Like 3

So my cousin completed my rocker cover job, injectors cleaned and resealed etc. Also changed the exhaust sensor pipe (clogged up with carbon deposits, amber EML). 

I rang my mechanic for advice, he said to change the rocker cover as it becomes prone to leaking again after the gasket job, so I did just that and had it all replaced. I didn't use genuine BMW for the rocker cover itself but did use genuine stretch bolts and copper injector seals... I know, I know but it's been an expensive month with the MOT, VED and I'll be servicing it tomorrow plus this repair on top (~£1k)💸... so anyway, main dealer wanted about £400 for the original rocker cover, so I went with BGA Automotive for about £200. I hope I haven't made a grave mistake here? :classic_sad: 

Also, any tips on how to clean the old oil residue on the back of the engine. It's fully repaired and reassembled however it's smoking slightly when driving about. Is the only way to solve this to basically drive and let what residue is present on the exhaust/dpf area to burn off?

Copying in @Andrew and @Steve84N in advance because let's face it, you both know the answers to absolutely everything 😂

Cheers in advance guys 😉

Edited by RH27
  • Like 2

I'm so cheap... LOL!!!

Wanted to replace the clips and retainer screws in the under-trays.  Bunch missing and screws not screwing in.  Kept hearing a scrape over speed humps

IMG_2153.thumb.jpeg.3ce61ddcc1bcc0787cf0ecc96312e713.jpeg

IMG_2155.thumb.jpeg.d8132c39f7aafe5863519b77bb83537d.jpeg

Interesting balance point...

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.23daaaa168142f2d38f8cc3db855460d.jpeg

Air, oil and filters next week...

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.31da432c1138a95c0425e19f3e9371bf.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

• Like 2

Does anybody know if its possible to retro fit the ACC (Advanced Cruise Control) unit.  And if so is it as simple as fitting the sensor behind the lower grill, connecting to the loom and enabling it via coding?  Or is there loads more to it.

I used to have it on a Passat I had and quite miss it.

@RH27

Brake and clutch cleaner. 

IMG-2337.jpg

I buy it in 5 litre containers and use a Wurth hand held pressure spray pump dispenser to spray it on to what ever.

I use A toothbrush and rags and I also use a nylon dishwasher brush too to scrub at things 

• Thanks 1

@RH27 if you're not going to use a lot regularly then you can just get a couple of cans of brake cleaner on Amazon or eBay. One should be enough to be honest. I usually add some to my order when I get stuff from Autodoc because it's only £3 a can.

I'd also highly recommend Scott roll, it's very strong compared to most types of tissue roll and is perfect for mucky jobs as you just throw it away.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394785417831?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=x7tmunf4r2y&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=yzapL6MWRMu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Does anybody know if its possible to retro fit the ACC (Advanced Cruise Control) unit.  And if so is it as simple as fitting the sensor behind the lower grill, connecting to the loom and enabling it via coding?  Or is there loads more to it.

I used to have it on a Passat I had and quite miss it.

For sure its possible but the expense would be phenominal!

Radars, ECU, Wiring, Coding would be in the 2.5-3k figure I would expect, I design ADAS for a living trust me its not simple or cheap. Send a message to SamyPC on Facebook for a quote if you are really interested: https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Samy.Escobar

A little plug of my employer for good measure: https://www.aptiv.com/en/solutions/advanced-safety/adas

We supply Service Pack 21 Radars to BMW, so this is after our cars were born.. Also Camera (ADCAM) and ADAS ECU (mPAD)

Also now Service Pack 25 is in design, along with many other OEMS.

44 minutes ago, Percha said:

For sure its possible but the expense would be phenominal!

Radars, ECU, Wiring, Coding would be in the 2.5-3k figure I would expect, I design ADAS for a living trust me its not simple or cheap. Send a message to SamyPC on Facebook for a quote if you are really interested: https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Samy.Escobar

A little plug of my employer for good measure: https://www.aptiv.com/en/solutions/advanced-safety/adas

We supply Service Pack 21 Radars to BMW, so this is after our cars were born.. Also Camera (ADCAM) and ADAS ECU (mPAD)

Also now Service Pack 25 is in design, along with many other OEMS.

Its just the radar unit is available cheap on eBay.  Knowing BMW, the loom connector is tucked away somewhere already and the coding could be as simple as enabling it via BimmerCode.

Fancy website though

Good luck with an Ebay sourced Radar 😆... You would trust that with controlling braking and longitudinal control of your car at motorway speeds?? ouch!

Also once installed needs to be calibrated this is way above Bimmercode! send that guy a message I am genuinely intrested how much now or if he would even do it.

Edited by Percha

Had my F10 LCI for 3 years now and I've just totalled up what I've spent.  I'm about to hit 100k.  I think its cheap motoring and I've really enjoyed it so far.  Struggled with the control arms but replacement Powerflex bushes have finally nailed that.

Servicing has cost about 10p a mile for the 46k I've done + fuel at about 20p a mile and insurance is about 2.5p

I probably should have spent more and will plan to going forwards now. Gearbox oil, diff oil. Bimmerlink reckons my DPF has another 50k without issue with currently 16% soot.

2021 05 Purchase (reg 2015/10) 14000.00 52839  
2021 06 Mobile service 192.00 53722 Oil, air, fuel filters
2021 05 Wheel balance 36.00    
2021 07 Tracking 22.90    
2021 06 Front brakes, pads and discs 300.00    
2021 07 Rear brakes 296.00    
2021 07 Tyres.  Front and rear 960.00   19" Pilot Sport 4 ZP
2021 08 MOT 59.00   Pass, no advisory
2022 01 Replacement wheels 396.00   Refurbed exchange
2022 03 Oil change 85.00 64114  
2022 06 BMW luxury floor matt set 120.00    
2022 06 Rear springs replacement 375.00 69093 OSR snapped
2022 11 Oil change 85.00 76320  
2022 07 MOT + Brake fluid 127.00 70094  
2023 03 Control arms 427.00 81033  
2023 03 Front tracking 45.00    
2023 04 Wheel centre caps 11.00    
2023 05 Tyres, Rear only 591.00 84426 19" Pilot Sport 4 ZP
2023 06 Small dent repair 50.00    
2023 07 MOT 50.00 84526  
2023 09 Airbag and EGR recall 0.00 90654  
2023 09 Fuel pump feed line + coolant return line from cylinder head 127.00 90785  
2023 10 Oil change + fuel filter 120.00 90893  
2024 01 Scratch repair 130.00    
2024 02 Control arm bush replacement 380.00   Powerflex
2024 03 Puncture repair 36.00    

2024 04 Total 3 year spend 5020.90 99100  
  Total miles   46261  

On 15/04/2024 at 07:55, Percha said:

Good luck with an Ebay sourced Radar 😆... You would trust that with controlling braking and longitudinal control of your car at motorway speeds?? ouch!

Also once installed needs to be calibrated this is way above Bimmercode! send that guy a message I am genuinely intrested how much now or if he would even do it.

Interestingly @Percha, BimmerLink reports that I have the ACC module already in, might it be that easy...!

I'll have a nose this weekend for the loom connector behind the lower grill somewhere and then maybe take a punt on the radar unit.  I know what you say about calibration but you never know.

BimmerLinkScreenshot.thumb.jpg.a324269f2bfc89969a2a82cc38fe1350.jpg

7 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Interestingly @Percha, BimmerLink reports that I have the ACC module already in, might it be that easy...!

I'll have a nose this weekend for the loom connector behind the lower grill somewhere and then maybe take a punt on the radar unit.  I know what you say about calibration but you never know.

BimmerLinkScreenshot.thumb.jpg.a324269f2bfc89969a2a82cc38fe1350.jpg

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/acc-retrofit.680905/

Read this, someone here who knows what he is doing with general upgrades priced it up at 6k!

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Mine just ticked over 65,000 miles this morning on the way to work.

I’m not going to ask what your spend has been over your ownership.  Even though I’d like to know.