Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Ordered genuine pads from BMW ready for a fluid change and pad replacement - once done it will be fully serviced and with the refreshed wheels and painted bumpers its going to be a cracking car for someone - my cost, your gain!

I have a lovely work outing tomorrow.

Maidstone to Trefwid in Wales via Chester, pop back to Birmingham then home to Maidstone again.

Leaving at 4am. 5 and a half hours to North Wales, job there then back to Brum for another job.

566 miles round trip, 10 hours 32 solid driving plus any traffic.

Can't wait to get up in the morning...

image.thumb.png.88fdf43763a1faa395d87e66ebb58d24.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Ordered genuine pads from BMW ready for a fluid change and pad replacement - 

Don’t say I’m not good to you 

and 

• Thanks 1

Brake pad and fluid change following Andrews instructions and TIS. Interesting that the fronts are essentially e39 just bigger sliders needing the 9mm hex, rears different as have the sliding pins and floating caliper so need a 15mm and 13mm spanner to remove them - noting the BMW kit includes new stainless sliders and also pre-loctited bolts - not sure aftemarket would have thse bits?

Biggest lesson was learning the electric handbrake needs to be in service mode to allow you to wind the caliper back for the new pad thickess.

Fortunately icarsoft can do this and i used the dashboard method to reset the service interval.

Not totally done but definitely needed doing IMG_2580.thumb.jpeg.0b38bc14248e731213f007d73eec558a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/03/2024 at 20:37, Andrew said:

Did a motorway journey around central Scotland today

IMG-4577.jpg

Way out

IMG-4584.jpg

Way back

Sign that the engine is happy and healthy still if it can return those mpg in rush hour traffic and on limp wristed E10 petrol too.

I sometimes wonder if you drive your 35i hard and open it up at all @Andrew lol

On a side note, as I work from home permanently and my driving has reduced significantly, I've decided to enjoy life a little more and drive in sports more often on medium/long journeys. I almost never do as I like to just cruise.

Always forget how different of a car it becomes - still excites me every time and frightens me sometimes, admittedly lol.

5 hours ago, RH27 said:

I sometimes wonder if you drive your 35i hard and open it up at all @Andrew lol

Oh I do open it up when conditions permit. Well obviously no more than 70mph🤪

Those pics were taken during a motorway run in traffic. 

• Haha 1

Heavy Rain, power tailgate / hatch won't open. When I press handle all i hear is a little whirr, no opening click or anything.

Investigate further it's moist in my battery compartment and up under the back door panel where the actuator for the tailgate is and the latch lock mechanism. So I followed my nose and it was the drain holes at the side of the opening mechanism for the boot lid (unpowered). They were completely blocked with shitty brown mud from the saharan sand sandstorm we had just had. 

So I dry everything out - the latch and actuator, the lift control unit under the fuse box and let it dry out overnight. This morning nada. Still the same. 

Which was nice.

Also noticed some tiny bits of corrosion - possibly from some previous owner's lead battery that looked like it exploded like an egg in a microwave. 

So I think I'm going to note all the parts involved and (throw them in the sea) order some more. 

That's what I did to my F07 today. 

I've only had it a week and headlight's gone and the boot has now given up.

Shit.

• Sad 1

Ordered 6 Delphi ignition coils £20.75 each, that’s the lowest I’ve seen them on Autodoc and an activated pollen filter. 

Needs spark plugs doing later this year so figured on doing the coils too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Ordered 6 Delphi ignition coils £20.75 each, that’s the lowest I’ve seen them on Autodoc.

I changed mine with the new engine, £110 for Bosch from carpartsinmotion. It's not a big outlay to keep the spark running strong. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 10:50, Percha said:

Oh my old employer "Delphi" are they OEM then? 

Yeah

5-IMG-6609.jpg

I figured as they need to come out to do the plugs later this year I might as well change them to avoid any intermittent future problems if a coil starts breaking down. 

Genuine Delphi coil £59 each

Autodoc Delphi coil £20 each 

I’m now trying to track down some spark plugs. The genuine BMW Bosch plugs have a different sealing washer over the Bosch plugs (non BMW)

Genuine Bosch plugs £21 each 

Bosch plugs ~£15 each 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve84N said:

@Andrew I didn't know about a different washer

The BMW Bosch number is ZR5TPP33S.

The aftermarket Bosch ones are only ever ZR5TPP33 no S at the end which I’m reliably informed from a trade source S stands for a different type of sealing ring/washer on the plugs.  Your link is for non “S” part number. 

Although I know if lots of BMWs running about with the ordinary Bosch ones without issue. 

Just keen to understand what the reason is for different part numbers…

• Like 1

Replaced gearbox mount today, nothing was wrong with the old one, just minor cracking, I’m just on a mission to replace old rubber mounts/bushings this year since I replaced engine mounts late last year😊 also bled brakes as they felt quite “spongy”, unfortunately they still feel almost the same😐 I might try and swap brake lines for braided ones, anyone done that before? Any difference?

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

• Like 1

@Rimvyz I've put Goodridge braided hoses on mine. I've felt a bigger difference on previous cars, was more obvious on my C63 with fixed instead of floating calipers. However, I'd say there was a small difference and if nothing else the old ones were old. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Rimvyz

How did you bleed your brakes?

Pressure bleed? Did you activate the ABS pump via diagnostics?

Just did pressure bleed, haven’t got any tool to activate abs pump as I use b-tool expert mostly🥲

Edited by Rimvyz

16 hours ago, Steve84N said:

@Rimvyz I've put Goodridge braided hoses on mine. I've felt a bigger difference on previous cars, was more obvious on my C63 with fixed instead of floating calipers. However, I'd say there was a small difference and if nothing else the old ones were old. 

Thanks, so I guess Im keeping the old ones for now🫡

4 hours ago, Rimvyz said:

Thanks, so I guess Im keeping the old ones for now🫡

It might be a stiffer pedal if I activated the ABS pump during the bleed. I just used a pressure bleeder like you. 

I have pressure bled my brakes many times now. 

But I have pressure bled my brakes while activating the ABS pump once. 

I only noticed a difference in pedal feel following the ABS pump method. 

Or was that due to a different dot4 LV fluid? 

Don’t worry @Rimvyz it will be fine what you’ve done.

I have my gearbox mount to swap out too as it’s probably cracked like the prop giubos….