Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Thanks @RH27

I think I know the videos.

and 

It probably took me a day to replace it all by the time I'd stripped the front end down and removed the old light units and re-sealed them in the new headlight which I got from my local BMW dealer less than the price of a non genuine one from ECP or Autodoc so I went with that instead of an attempted repair.  Might look differently this time around...

I get a bit of condensation after my evening commute home (lights on) but its cleared by the morning since I dried it out earlier in the week.

• Like 1

@Andrew yup, those are the ones.

Use the heat box method, my genius of a cousin suggested it to me.

Do not use a heat gun. It's not as effective and requires too much active work. I started off with a heat gun and it melted some of the housing.

The heat box is far, far superior because everything heats up uniformly.

Out of interest, how much was the hella units? I also entertained the idea of purchasing a new headlight housing but autodoc and the like were asking for circa £500-700 which is just ridiculous, hence the DIY job. 

Edited by RH27

47 minutes ago, RH27 said:

Out of interest, how much was the hella units? I also entertained the idea of purchasing a new headlight housing but autodoc and the like were asking for circa £500-700 which is just ridiculous, hence the DIY job. 

It was this time last year, Autodoc were wanting a grand for a Xenon Hella headlight.
Euros were a little bit more than Autodoc, again Hella.
My local dealer, retail was £1,350.

But I got a loyalty discount and paid about 2/3rds of the retail. So less than Autodoc and it was genuine and for sure a right hand drive headlight!

Are yours Xenons?

16 hours ago, Steve84N said:

I have this too, was already low priority and now the colder weather is gone for a while even less so. 

Its a dead easy swap - the heating element went on my Passenger side.  I got a replacement Dimming/Heating mirror glass from ebay (£450 new from BMW!!!!!!!!) for £85, pop off the old glass and pop in the new one, takes less than 10 min 🙂

I find the heating useful even out of winter as it helps dry rain/water off them quicker.

• Thanks 1

Just had two nails removed from front nearside Mich Sport 4 runflat.  Spotted the nails on Saturday last but resisted touching them.  Started the car this morning to the low pressure alert.  Reminded me to get holes patched.  All done for £36 at my office car park.

Front Michelin Pilot Sport 4 where put on at 57k 3 years ago.  Today I’m on 97k and they at least another 20k I reckon.

You do pay slightly more but they last really well.

38 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

Just had two nails removed from front nearside Mich Sport 4 runflat.  Spotted the nails on Saturday last but resisted touching them.  Started the car this morning to the low pressure alert.  Reminded me to get holes patched.  All done for £36 at my office car park.

Interesting they repaired run flats. Local ats wouldnt fix my non RFT as it had been driven (about a mile) soft 🤬

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Interesting they repaired run flats. Local ats wouldnt fix my non RFT as it had been driven (about a mile) soft 🤬

ATS won’t look at repairing anything usually.  Need a small local

4 hours ago, Steve84N said:

@skyjawa is your replacement dimming as well as heated? Have you got a link for the one you bought? 

Yes, the replacement is Dimming and Heated - both working 🙂

I got from here:

BMW 5 6 7'ies E60 E61 F07 E63 F06 F01 GT LEFT MIRROR GLASS PLANE HEATED AUTO DIM | eBay

Got in touch with them when the Dimming wasn't working (my fault when I wired in the new connector and fixed), and they said they provide a 2 month warranty so if either doesn't work they will happily replace or refund.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

ATS won’t look at repairing anything usually.  Need a small local

Who will also confirm if you have driven it flat (soft) or not.

BMW say you can repair certain brands of rft provided you’ve not driven on them with no air in them 

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

It was this time last year, Autodoc were wanting a grand for a Xenon Hella headlight.
Euros were a little bit more than Autodoc, again Hella.
My local dealer, retail was £1,350.

But I got a loyalty discount and paid about 2/3rds of the retail. So less than Autodoc and it was genuine and for sure a right hand drive headlight!

Are yours Xenons?

Mine are indeed xenons with cornering lights etc. 

I must have been looking at the wrong ones then. Clearly a lot more.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Who will also confirm if you have driven it flat (soft) or not.

BMW say you can repair certain brands of rft provided you’ve not driven on them with no air in them 

In my case, it had only gone down a single PSI to 29 today since Saturday so not worried.

I did have a rear repaired a week after I first had them fitted, drove that for about 5 miles until repaired and then thats been to Italy and back about 5 times without any issue.

NSR Shock installed, what a nice easy job 45mins all done. I will ring the MOT place tomorrow and get it booked in for free retest. Another years motoring for princely sum of £107 for Shock, £34 for gubbins from BMW (Bumpstop, O-ring, bolts, cover)

Look at the state of the old one!!! 😵

20240322_153125.jpg

Edited by Percha
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tut tut @Percha, that didn’t just magically appear over night🤪

Changing winters to summers etc twice a year gives the perfect opportunity to poke around every 6 months and notice things before the mot 

32 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Fixed 😉

Excuse me 

it’s been far to wet here to let me maintain my car at the weekends, besides I’m still trying to fix my sodding fence that blew down. 

I must admit a few days before the MOT, I noticed a shimmer of oil in a puddle at the NSR, I washed the car and had a quick look underneath couldnt see anything as everything was so wet and muddy underneath anyway. I thought if there is something then the MOT will pick it up, and it did..

Over winter I havent touched the car at all, other than cleaning it... so slippped through the net.

Test drove today and maybe placebo but felt much better at the back, I will get the other one ordered up and second set of gubbins from BMW now I know how easy it is.

Edited by Percha

Dropped wheels off for a refurb and chased up my paint guy for a quote on the bumpers. 

Currently car sat on 18s from a 3. Forgive the state of it. Look a bit lost!

IMG_2535.thumb.jpeg.843c44c97b6f2a8c43c3480e903c5223.jpeg

Those wheels are for sale too 18x8 and 18x8.5 tidy but some marks. Very good Pirelli’s 

£400

• Like 2

Did a motorway journey around central Scotland today

IMG-4577.jpg

Way out

IMG-4584.jpg

Way back

Sign that the engine is happy and healthy still if it can return those mpg in rush hour traffic and on limp wristed E10 petrol too.

• Like 1