Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

39 minutes ago, skyjawa said:

Glad mine isn’t the only headlights looking like that with condensation in this colder weather! I believe looking like that is normal and you should only be concerned if it’s really bad with water droplets…..?

Yes that’s acceptable especially at this time of year. 

It’s when they look like this 

33-B71-E57-9242-41-A4-8305-2-D696-ACB4-F

then you have a problem! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes. Don’t get me started on parking tickets….

I’ve only ever had one parking ticket, but it was a fair cop. I had no intentions of paying to park and a Glasgow Green meanie ticketed me 3 mins after I parked the car. 

Still one advantage about being in Scotland, clamping is illegal unless you are the DVLA

G30-SVS.jpg

• Sad 1

I got two last year, bastard council changed the permitting system to a digital one but never told anyone so my paper permit expired because I wasn’t notified and didn’t notice because I always got a letter. I only realised when I walked past the car which was not where I usually park but happened to be on way back from station. Had I not id probably have had a weeks worth. 

I've checked with neighbours and nobody has been written too nor did they for the other car. 

Utter shysters! Don’t get ought for nowt in this dump of a country. 

Issue one: I have a passenger offside external door handle rattle.

Swing door shut, or just tap the window and the handle rattles. 

is it simple to remove the handle to give it a check over? Might be something loose I guess. Any guides?

issue two. When it’s icy do people get a load of cabin noise from ice built up around the saloon boot lid? Just car idling but also worse at speed, the boot lid rubs the ice. Terrible noise. Confirm by opening the boot and driving a short distance.

thanks.

Edited by Skynet5

47 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Issue one: I have a passenger offside external door handle rattle.

Swing door shut, or just tap the window and the handle rattles. 

is it simple to remove the handle to give it a check over? Might be something loose I guess. Any guides?

issue two. When it’s icy do people get a load of cabin noise from ice built up around the saloon boot lid? Just car idling but also worse at speed, the boot lid rubs the ice. Terrible noise. Confirm by opening the boot and driving a short distance.

thanks.

Not sure about issue one but I've found my boot lid opens gently at normal temperatures but in this cold snap it crashes open.  Something in there is cold so maybe you have a similar effect

• Thanks 1

On 18/01/2024 at 17:34, F10-65 said:

Poached eggs on toast at home 

That made me hungry so I’ve just had that for lunch with a slice of ham and a dod of hollandaise sauce. 

Yummy 

• Haha 1

I had a better look around to see what might be the leaking what looks like oil but im not sure what im looking at.

I think its the air intake from the intercooler...?

IMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.99a967671886a2c81e6b1ba5304c7972.jpeg

And then down below on the frame under the cooler...

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.885f5cb059382e0842dd79b1bcce872b.jpeg

Why would I be leaking oil in these two spots?  I thought this pipe dealt with air not oil?

Thanks

Daren

Boost hoses from the turbo will contain a fine mist of oil.

Remember the turbo has oil lubricated bearings and it is inevitable that oil will be present in the boost hoses either side of the inter cooler down stream of the turbo. Oil will seep past the turbo bearings and seals as it wears.

If a turbo is really worn a more noticeable amount of oil will make it past these seals and into the boost hoses and into the engine, hence a smokey exhaust on cars with worn turbos.

Also depending on the plumbing circuits on your car there may be crankcase breather gases fed into the boost hoses which will contain a degree of oil.

My theory is that of oil can get out, air can get in which can be a source of unmetered air leading to poor engine running characteristics.

In your first picture that looks like a joint where there will be a seal.

IMG-2390.jpg

I had a displaced  boost seal

IMG-2229.jpg

which gave rise to oil misting.

• Thanks 1

Signed off on the colour of the wheel refurb - BMW Reflex Silver (A44).

Had tried being adventurous with a darker grey but just missed a more factory look for a Space Grey 2011 F11.

Full set of new Pilot Sport 5 tyres to go on them too 🙂 

whl3.jpg

whl3b.jpg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 3

You made the right choice @Munzy. Snap as I too have a 2011 Space Grey F11 on those wheels. Might get some aftermarket ones at some point though because they are obscenely heavy. Tempted to try Hyper Black but simple silver always works. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Munzy where are you getting those done?

I need mine re-doing.

.....for Audis.

Dust Powder & Paint in Tradeston. I found them on Facebook. I really liked some of their custom examples and wanted to try something a bit different  They were really good to deal with - they took time to make sure I was happy and did a great job. £320 was a great deal imho. 

There was a slight problem with the lacquer and they couldn’t have been nicer in getting it sorted, good experience. In the interim I’d changed my mind and wanted to go back to a silver paint and they were happy to do me a deal. 

Can’t wait to get them fitted then it’s on to a Hunter Alignment 😀

• Thanks 1

Speaking of wheels. My 66 plate wheels are starting to bubble around the centre. 

There is a local guy who is meant to be good, but before I go to him, I just want to validate my assumption that BMW won’t do anything for free or partially as a gesture of good will?

I’ll give them a call maybe, thoughts?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Speaking of wheels. My 66 plate wheels are starting to bubble around the centre. 

There is a local guy who is meant to be good, but before I go to him, I just want to validate my assumption that BMW won’t do anything for free or partially as a gesture of good will?

I’ll give them a call maybe, thoughts?

Nope

Do not use BMW for wheel re-furbs.

They call a man in a van who if you are lucky breaks the front tyre bead and get a grinder out and smooths out any kerb rash before blasting some paint and lacquer over the front of the wheel without cleaning it properly and thus lacquering in the dirt on the inside. Then over inflates the tyre to reseat the bead.

DSCN2802.jpg

Wheel cleaner not able to get to the dirt as there is lacquer over it...

14 hours ago, Munzy said:

Dust Powder & Paint in Tradeston.

Thanking you Sir.

My dad has used a place in Tradeston for a wheel refurb. Will investigate.

Did they mask off the wheel to hub mating surface?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Did they mask off the wheel to hub mating surface?

I forgot to ask and they did not - they have been pretty accommodating so I'm sure they would if asked.

Bought one of those drill attachments you posted a while back, worked a treat 🙂 

Pick them up on Friday but not going on until alignment is done - old tyres had some uneven wear so want to give the new ones properly set up axles.

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 1