Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

39 minutes ago, Shakeel.j said:

I also found another 12v socket which doesn't work 4/5 😑

Fuse F54.

You need to be a gynaecologist to replace it. 

It helps if you take the passenger footwell trim panel off which you’ve just done replacing your pollen filters….

I managed to change a fuse for the 12V sockets after I blew it accidentally wiring in a new one the wrong way round. All done through the access panel inside the glovebox.

Used the fuse puller tool which is in the boot stuck onto the board behind the trim panel. Then a combination of pointing my phone camera through the opening and looking at the screen as my eyes, plus feel to count to the right one. 

Four coats of colour, three coats of sealant and a very fiddly middle seat with the console storage meant this has taken me countless hours.

IMG20231217133727.thumb.jpg.32338ee472b93e92f940b36e3ab7c110.jpg

IMG20231217133558.thumb.jpg.86062a903fd2cd171ed9ace7d4a25010.jpg

IMG20231217140950.thumb.jpg.fea05bfcc9ebe4148feb90887d82382c.jpg

They sent me satin sealant which in hindsight would have been better using the matt version. Scratch Doctor are sending me a small bottle of matt and I'm going to try putting a couple of coats on top with the seats in situ to dial down the shiny. 

Also fitted these rubber floor mats I picked up in the Black Friday sale. I do love a good OEM fitment on stuff like this, can't beat it.

IMG20231217140641.thumb.jpg.7209f3833fcb533df8ced229276c579d.jpg

IMG20231217140246.thumb.jpg.a5c8987c6af2166fe281cc3bc1aa15df.jpg

IMG20231217135449.thumb.jpg.22e788f4cb381ac667fe6dec0500ab83.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Fitted new cabin filters (genuine BMW which are Mahle FWIW) interesting that the arrows should point to the rear of the car i believe but BMW saw fit to have them pointing forward 🙄

I thought they were supposed to point to one another

21 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

What is the 'tab'?

Some of the filters may come with an extra flap to make removing them easier. Depends on who at that moment in time is the OEM supplier. As they can be made slightly differently. 

No disrespect to anybody here but I asked the same question here when i changed mine previously and got the same non-answer.

I have one in the shed ready so I'll change mine tomorrow and pay attention to where the dirty side is in relation to that air flow arrow.

I'll report back...

The tabs may have been on the very first pollen filters when they were first introduced in 2010.

Having tabs and not having tabs makes no difference to their performance. The tabs are just extra flaps around the edges of the filter. They get compressed up against the filter once it’s slotted home and the cover refitted. 

Arrows point in the direction of air flow on pollen filters not direction of car travel. The Ford ones I swapped out with febi filters on my wife’s car both had arrows pointing in the direction of air flow.

IMG-1251.jpg

The important bit about these pollen filters is they need to be activated carbon for the better filtration.

But air will still flow thru them regardless of which way you install them, but no doubt there will be something in the filter that is optimised for a particular flow direction. 

BMW tell you which way they are to be installed and the bmw installed ones I removed on mine, matched the bmw spec. 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Fitted new cabin filters (genuine BMW which are Mahle FWIW) interesting that the arrows should point to the rear of the car i believe but BMW saw fit to have them pointing forward 🙄

My apologies

Just changed mine and the two I removed were pointing to the rear of the vehicle.  They were both dirty on the front (white) facing side so I hope that indicates they were previously inserted in the correct orientation.

I swear I read somewhere official that they were supposed to face each other as the air feeds centrally into the air-box and so thats how I thought I had inserted them last time (18 months ago). 

Must be my age.

Thank you both for your patience

Merry Christmas

Edited by F10-65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1