Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

1 hour ago, Andy5150 said:

Love some 80s metal, Andrew. Van Halen for me, but not averse to some Maiden!

I’m ashamed to admit but I’d only really listened to Metallica with a smattering of Megadeth and Slayer before discovering Iron Maiden during lockdown and realised I’d been missing out on the last 30 years! 

Took the gearbox out this evening, 1.5hrs with my mate. 

IMG20231116192902.thumb.jpg.e7c1eb259312b7d73b2613fd7873a33a.jpg

IMG20231116192838.thumb.jpg.af8792eb23c81de5394c441c8a516c8d.jpg

I'll get some pictures and video of the gearbox when I get it home, it didn't fit in the boot of my friend's MX5 tonight.

There's quite a lot of backlash between the input/output. It spins too freely, like when a pulley bearing is shot, rather than with a smooth oily resistance. Doesn't sound great either... The oil was clean, it's brand new, plus there was no sign of glitter. 

Got a few hours tomorrow afternoon so going to see how much of the brake overhaul we can get done whilst it's on the lift. I've got discs, pads, pistons, seals, slider pins, bleed nipples, braided hoses, larger carriers to upgrade the fronts. The works. 

Then on Sunday I drive to the Netherlands to exchange my gearbox on the Monday morning first thing. The aim is to be home around 17:00 and refit the gearbox. It's going to be a long day! 

• Like 1

Too busy to get any pictures but got through most of a brake overhaul working with my mate this afternoon. The piston seals are a right pain to do, still got one front caliper left to do. 

Managed to drop a rear caliper and it smashed the parking brake actuator. Called BMW for a price, £393! Bought from a motor factor for £71 delivered... I think that's the biggest mark up I've come across yet. 

@Perchaif you look closely you can just make out the rivets on the rear as well, also two piece. I ordered Brembo but they sent ATE due to availability. No problem with that.

It's surprising how much weight the aluminium bell saves over a full steel rotor, enough to offset the large diameter. My C63 used 360x36mm solid discs and they were about 2.6kg heavier than these 374x36mm composite ones. 

The pads I bought Brembo, although the rear box was covered in sellotape, which is a bit suspect... 

• Like 1

@Munzycould you possibly take a picture when the PS5 tyres are mounted, particularly from looking down on the tread so I can see how stretched the sidewalls are on the rim. 

I've got the same size Pirelli PZ4 and they are quite stretched but tyre width varies between manufacturers. I'm considering going to 255/40/19 next time. Thanks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

@Munzycould you possibly take a picture when the PS5 tyres are mounted, particularly from looking down on the tread so I can see how stretched the sidewalls are on the rim. 

I've got the same size Pirelli PZ4 and they are quite stretched but tyre width varies between manufacturers. I'm considering going to 255/40/19 next time. Thanks. 

These were my 4s recently if it helps

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

Will do @Steve84N  

I’ve noticed a slightly stretched look to both my previous Goodyear F1 and Bridgestone Potenza Sport in the same size. 

I have been wondering if it is ok to go wider than recommended to avoid it but decided to stick with stock size. 

Hopefully it will be ok as I’m getting tired of trying to find the perfect (in my taste for aesthetics) tyres. It’s so annoying paying all that money and not being happy then having to wait until they wear out to try something new. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Munzy said:

New set of boots. 
Michelin Pilot Sport 5. 

Nice

Where did you buy them from? I can't remember where I got my last rear pair from, think it was my local fitter in Johnstone, fronts were Amazon.

I'll need a new front pair for next summer and I'm on the look out for some decent rubber.

Trying to decide if I 'go flat' this time.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve84N said:

My Michelin 245/40/19" ZP on the fronts are stretched on the 8.5J rim, thought I had a picture, but can't find one.

What makes the stretched look, look worse is my tyres have a rim protector so the side wall is really quite thick just beyond the rim which make it look wider. But has saved my rims on numerous occasions from the vicious Scottish potholes

image.jpg

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Nice

Where did you buy them from? I can't remember where I got my last rear pair from, think it was my local fitter in Johnstone, fronts were Amazon.

I'll need a new front pair for next summer and I'm on the look out for some decent rubber.

Everybody seems to say run flats are a harder ride but I can’t say I have any problem with mine.  We go to Italy 3 times a year so I’d rather be safe.

interestingly, maybe, my car went into BMW recently and I know my tyres were perfectly inflated to 32 and 33 but when I got back they had all been deflated to 29.  My previous rears had worn round the middle so were over inflated.  Maybe the ZP don’t require so much to compensate for their stiff walls.

im only surmising though.

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Nice

Black Circles - £572 delivered (tyres only, no fitting) for four - 15% off code SAVE10

• Thanks 1