Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Started the laborious process of recolouring my rear seats to Silverstone. Took ages to mask off the plastic fittings, especially the centre seat/armrest which don't dissemble (not that I could see easily). 

IMG20230924215936.thumb.jpg.55f998c4005c4d20e2e8a9471cd5099c.jpg

Had a go at removing the sealant on the two side pieces as they have no tricky fittings to work around. Used too much leather prep solution, going to have to slow down on the rest. Should have used the scotchbrite but I was concerned it'd be too harsh. I was wrong, the solution on its own isn't harsh enough. Going to try the scrubbing pad with cotton wool soaked balls behind it (as the instructions say for furniture). 🫣😆

Bloody BMW driver taking up two parking spaces......

IMG-2474.jpg

After a trip to the dump to get rid of 'stuff' and my old diff oil so I could free up the oil container.

IMG-2525.jpg

So I could change the oil and air filter.

IMG-2521.jpg

Bit of hoovering needed in the air box.

Not quite a year since I last did it, but I used a break in the weather on a Monday bank holiday to get it done.

IMG-2562.jpg

Measured out just over 6 litres of old sump oil, poured 6 litres straight in and checked the level, needed another 250ml to bring in up to full on electronic dipstick.

Took less than an hour. Getting quick at it as I've done it every year since 2019.

Coolant change still needed, hopefully get that done in the next few weeks before I need to put the winter tyres on and give up on DIY for the winter.

• Like 4

On 23/09/2023 at 16:03, F10-65 said:

Borrowed the lorry MOT bay of one of my clients to use the pit.

Changed my control arms and the bolts.  Couldn’t get the left clip nut to bite the bolt thread.  Looks like the clip itself is bent so had to revert back to the original clip nut.

Torqued to 100Nm plus 180ish degree turn.

IMG_1546.thumb.jpeg.ce9ff0509ead78ca0c77af3e8a73e37d.jpeg

Discovered a fuel leak in the process though.  Could be the filter I suppose/hope but looks further forward from there.  Asked someone to have a look for me.

Open to easy fix ideas if anybody wants to offer 🤔.

IMG_1547.thumb.jpeg.cb853818853fd8b77ea809c218e03f25.jpeg

Need some of those white plastic screw receiver clips now though.

Looks like my leak might be related to the EGR recall after all. Car flashed up the 'Low coolant level' warning which is one of the symptoms of the EGR cooler failure.  Booked it in this evening at my local BMW dealer to drop off tomorrow night.  EGR and drivers airbag replacements.

Both recalls performed and the coolant leak was down to a split hose (11538514456) and the fuel drip was a split fuel feed pipe (13538575467).  Both repaired for parts cost only.  No labour as a gesture of goodwill by my local BMW dealer as they completely missed the leak the first visit last week.

Car still stinks of diesel outside as I guess its soaked into the under car cover.  But I'm sure it will pass...?

I'm not leaving little patches everywhere I park anymore now!

• Like 1

Finished scrubbing off the sealant layer ready for colouring. Not a job I'd do voluntarily but I can't get Silverstone F11 rear seats. 

First pass of dye, it doesn't soak in so needs sponging to leave a layer behind. The side rests were my first pieces then improved my technique a bit. I haven't dyed the bigger backrest at all yet, it's very fiddly and heavy with the armrest! 

IMG20231008162251.thumb.jpg.eac29996b21a4c80f8a808be27a5a04a.jpg

IMG20231008162303.thumb.jpg.0f6449249c85c40e69d8fbb8543433d3.jpg

IMG20231008165424.thumb.jpg.58a71f1b06ffa49682f92caeaea495ba.jpg

The leather prep solution got used up very quickly with the way it evaporates. The alcohol cleaner slightly less so and the dye at a much slower rate.

Will need more than the usual 2-3 coats seeing as I'm going from black to light. Then several layers of sealant to lock it in. Laborious... 

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Winter tyre temps this morning

It was colder down our way. 1.5 degress on my dash driving past Gretna this morning. I've been trying to get round to rotating my summer tyres on the car but now wondering whether I should just put the Crossclimates on for the winter.

I try and hold off to late October early November as it can still be warm enough for summer tyres. 

Although it wasn’t until Hogmanay last year that I put the winters on as I’d bust my back and it took weeks to heal this time last year.

• Sad 1

With kids in bed and wife happy I got another hour or so to put stuff back together. 

New oil cooler gasket and bolts, new oil filter (not replaced it’s gaskets yet but all will become clear) new bypass hose. 

IMG-2849.jpg

Aux belt on to allow me to get the new bypass hose (mickey mouse flange) on and the other coolant lines on.

To do tomorrow 

Air box and wiring. Then vacuum out what’s left of the old coolant and refill. Bleed water pump and then prime engine. 

Pic taken 15 mins ago 

My Saturday evening, well spent 

Only problem is I’ve no beer….

• Like 2