Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Carly and Bimmercode are great at changing the odd setting, but for new components it can be very difficult to get the right things to change as there can be lots to change. Using esys and vo coding when you code the ECU it automatically changes all settings needed.

for the rack I’m not sure if that can be done in esys, might need ista….

edit - looking through a few threads should be able to code the EPS by VO coding in Esys….

Edited by skyjawa

Grrrr. Spoke too soon 😞

All appeared to go ok, got an RDC warning when I next started the car, inialized the system and all tyres went green and no more warnings.

It’s now doing it every time I start the car, have to re-initialise each time, occasionally get a couple of RDC Error but will eventually initialise (takes a few seconds to a minute) and never get another warning as long as the car is not turned off. Have to be stationary to initiate the reset still, option is greyed out once moving.

may just have to bite the bullet and get new sensors if I can’t crack it….

Changed the cabin filters (x2) and the air filter, all were bloody filthy got the hoover out for both of them! Next job is the oil and filter this week at some point. Then next month rear brake discs and pads.

This was also completed on my wifes BMW F20 116D but we dont talk on this variant within this forum do we...

14 hours ago, Percha said:

This was also completed on my wifes BMW F20 116D but we dont talk on this variant within this forum do we...

Well there is a baby section further down the page, if you must drive something that isn’t a 5 Series 🤣

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

It’s ok Percha. Some people have Fords. 

But you forget 

The only reason a lot of us drive BMWs is cos there are no decent rear wheel drive Fords anymore.

Cortina, Granada, Sierra, Capri. All rear wheel drive and available with 6 cylinder engines.

What are Ford offering today? 

The hateful wrong wheel drive Puma in hybrid form!

Sack that and buy a decent 5 Series for some rwd fun. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

What are Ford offering today? 

The hateful wrong wheel drive Puma in hybrid form!

And then it isn't a real hybrid although many manufacturers are playing with the word Hybrid for these 48v mild hybrid systems. They have a start/alternator combo that can "drive" the car, really to smooth out the start/stop function, and its only real value is reducing CO2s. It does very little for MPG, power delivery or anything else so just another level of complexity and cost.

• Like 2

I finally managed to find someone to swap my M Performance exhaust backboxes with. It's a small world when it comes to the 535i Touring. It turned out I was swapping with the first 535i I went to see when looking to buy, so I'd test driven it. I walked away because I found after a check it was Cat N and the seller pretended not to know. Someone else bought it and shortly after had to have a full engine rebuild for £7k so I dodged a bullet there. Then that car, a 36k mile 2017, was bought by Dan who has owned category cars before. Dan is the same Dan who owned a higher mileage manual 535i Touring a few years ago. Dan went home happy with a more fruity exhaust and I got his. 

It didn't go entirely to plan though. With both exhausts off the car mine has nothing until a couple of hangers near the back of the mid section. His had a bracket off the gearbox and no hangers on the mid section. Therefore, we agreed to cut his backboxes off instead of swapping from the cat back. Trouble is we didn't have an extra two 60mm sleeve clamps... We used my existing clamps to get Dan on his way and I was about 20 minutes from home at my mate's garage unit. 

We fired it up without the backboxes to see if it was not crazy to drive it home. It wasn't! In fact, it was almost the same volume as the M Performance backboxes. On the way back there was a bit more drone but it was clear the M boxes don't do much, other than take out some of the boominess. That explains why it was too much, it was already a bit loud before the sports cat.

It's a huge difference with the standard system, barely purrs, let alone any sort of roar. I would have liked something in the middle but of the two I prefer it quiet. I've still got the performance benefit of the sports cat so I'm happy. I prefer the slash cut tips too. 

You can see how much smaller the M boxes are, there's loads of spare space. 

IMG20230721201201.thumb.jpg.77b337a90d23118c5a7a1b798f3b9e21.jpg

IMG20230721201118.thumb.jpg.f1f364c732726e4a92aa63c64a74a3c8.jpg

IMG20230721201240.thumb.jpg.645da58b85bf5f177e018e983f3d1b43.jpg

IMG20230721201248.thumb.jpg.8fed56375d2efb356407bc63cd8bd497.jpg

Needs some fresh hangers to lift the exhaust a bit. 

IMG20230726085826.thumb.jpg.f14631cc3ed6b4aa44f384a5d735e307.jpg

IMG20230726085839.thumb.jpg.30c59cbc72911e7c160ec5a4f2f6dc42.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve84N said:

@Andrewsnap but 9mm as you'd thankfully highlighted it's needed for the brake caliper slide pins. 😅

IMG20230726205933.thumb.jpg.2ba0d045e3e518a9fa1ea5c737a29bef.jpg

Yeah until only the last few years, no Allen key sets ever had a 9mm.

I think Mercedes use 11 mm hex on their slide pins.

I also bought a 17mm and 19mm hex too which are now being used on hub bolts instead of 30 something mm hub nuts. 

2 hours ago, Steve84N said:

We fired it up without the backboxes to see if it was not crazy to drive it home. It wasn't! In fact, it was almost the same volume as the M Performance backboxes. On the way back there was a bit more drone but it was clear the M boxes don't do much, other than take out some of the boominess. That explains why it was too much, it was already a bit loud before the sports cat.

It's a huge difference with the standard system, barely purrs, let alone any sort of roar. I would have liked something in the middle but of the two I prefer it quiet. I've still got the performance benefit of the sports cat so I'm happy. I prefer the slash cut tips too. 

You can see how much smaller the M boxes are, there's loads of spare space.

Interesting, can't say i particularly like the noise of the 535i at revs, maybe its the turbo but dont think its BMW's best sounding egine.

I rarely rev mine TBH and i find sport mode a bit frenetic - however clever this 8 speed auto is its not as clever as me. It doesnt know that sometimes i want to rev to 5k then change up and cruise - actually find the 5 speed auto in the e46 is more intune with me.

Yes on stop start motorway or in town it has advantages but i am still not a convert!

Hopefully finally sorted the TPMS! Went through FDL with Bimmercode and all the correct settings were there from the VO coding, read on another forum that even when all that is done on the F10 you need to pull the fuse for the RDC module (fuse 139 in the boot) or unplug it. Pulled the fuse and bingo! No more moaning on start up and iDrive now shows Flat Tyre Monitor instead of RDC 🙂

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 1

Painted the calipers front and rear…

Usually like to play it safe and go with dark/graphite grey but decided to roll the dice and try something a bit more adventurous. Brembo Midnight Blue caught my eye so took the plunge.

The description said it was almost black until you get up close but it is most certainly blue, very similar to the BMW shade I see on other cars. 

Used a battery hand drill with various wire wheel attachments, air blower for dust and a can of brake cleaner to wipe them down before paint. Two very thin coats with a soft paint brush  (hate to see calipers when the paint has been slapped on!). Job was done with the calipers on the car, if you are careful and use small brushes for the tight parts it looks very convincing when the wheels are on.  

Rear photos will come when I’ve fitted the new pads and discs - lovely black anti corrosion paint on the top hat bit of the disc looks very neat. (From EBC brakes but apparently they now only come with a grey paint incase anyone is looking).

I’m aware of trying too hard with the old girl - I hate seeing classy cars with “chav-grades” such as liberally applied red caliper paint, M-Sport grill strips etc but I think the blue works nicely with the darker wheels on a grey car  😀

IMG_4597.jpeg

IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4598.jpeg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 5

Completed the job on refreshing the brake calipers by applying some M-Sport decals. 

Went with silver M instead of white or grey. 

Decals were next day posted from the link below. Came with a reassuringly comprehensive and well written instruction sheet and positive reviews.

I certainly won’t be torturing the old Princess round a track any day soon (ever) but hopefully the decals and paint job will stand up to the day to day driving I do. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351208651614?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DTN4CYZZRBO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=q3CRNO_XRmG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 1