Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Well it's not even 09 on a Sunday morning and already I've been out and checked the marks on the control arm nuts for creep (all good), then fitted that missing Romix plug, replaced a missing wheel arch liner trapdoor retainer while I was at it.

Now feet up with a brew.

Pretty impressed with myself really 😎

IMG20230604074804.jpg

IMG20230604074819.jpg

IMG20230604074838.jpg

• Haha 1

The one time I was involved in creep calculations for a bridge strengthening scheme, creep is measured over a considerable time frame, but that was a considerable time ago…..2001 I think when I was a fresh faced and non cynical Engineer….

• Like 1

Luckily I was well trained all those years ago... my first ASM instilling the virtues of 'trust nothing... check'.

Saved my bacon once or twice since then and in my line of work that quick check can stop someone getting hurt, or worse.

• Like 1

Before... 

IMG20230604185403.thumb.jpg.93b7b332954cba019b1b2cd9ffb7d993.jpg

And after... 

IMG20230604193226.thumb.jpg.1dcc87b8a3e1117f8ce81c9ab21e6eed.jpg

IMG20230604193339.thumb.jpg.e08f47faad0e437860be72499e9f64d7.jpg

It actually makes a big difference to the ambience in the cabin and the leather is softer for my arm to rest on. 

Still need to get the other three Silverstone door cards on and swap the passenger side for the better condition one I now have. Then it'll just be dyeing the rear upper seat backs to complete the transformation. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Luckily I was well trained all those years ago... my first ASM instilling the virtues of 'trust nothing... check'.

Saved my bacon once or twice since then and in my line of work that quick check can stop someone getting hurt, or worse.

I spent yesterday afternoon helping my mate rebuild and refit a new suspension strut and track rod end to his VW T5. 

He is an aircraft engineer to trade and watching him check the work was really interesting. He physically touched every nut and bolt we touched checking that we had done it properly, just as he has been trained at work. Very thorough and impressive to watch. 

You can’t even begin to think what would happen if you got back to the hanger and found a couple of nuts in your pocket or wondering where you left that 21mm ring spanner! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'm still regreting not going for the 535i touring manual i saw...

What was wrong with that one?

Tyres too black?
Wheels too round?
Glass too glassy? 

🤪

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'm still regreting not going for the 535i touring manual i saw...

What colour was it inside and out? Admittedly I've only been watching the market for about a year but I haven't seen another one yet. 

31 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

It was for sale september 2020 - listed as

2011 BMW 5 Series 3.0 535i M Sport Touring 5dr Estate Petrol Manual

That link is dead but I think it may have been my car you were looking at... 

Mine is Space Grey with a black interior and was on about that mileage in 2020. It also had a fresh MOT that it didn't need in September 2020 and was in Loughborough. 

Screenshot_2023-06-05-10-40-29-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.9e3eff1e395d7f385d363108831bbc3f.jpg

@duncan-ukyes that's my car!

Main options are panoramic roof, soft close, 4 zone, pro nav, Professional Hi-fi and xenons. 

According to howmanyleft there's 11 with the same title as mine (535i M Sport) but you cannot tell how many are Tourings. Could be the only one... 

Edited by Steve84N

95k miles and not going up that fast as I no longer commute. Road trip holiday to Italy coming up in the last two weeks of this month. 

As per my edited post above there's a strong chance it's the only manual Touring. 

Edited by Steve84N
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve84N said:

As per my edited post above there's a strong chance it's the only manual Touring. 

Chap Neil has a stick shift wagon version, he has been on here before. Cloth seats as original owner was a vegan or something like that.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 0011718 said:

Had advisory on the rubber mount on the drive shaft universal joint is cracking so getting a quote for that.

If you go ahead with that, it would be an ideal opportunity to replace the guibo/flex disc. 

And if you have deep pockets, the diff bushes too

The exhaust, heatshield and prop all need to come out to do those jobs.

Be interesting to know how they diagnosed it as its all hidden behind the heatshield, to get the heatshield out, you need to take the exhaust off.

• Like 1

If i get under my F11 tomorrow ( air bag saga …. Dont ask ) will attempt to see if i can get a picture of the centre drive shaft bearing / mount etc just to see if the garage could actually see it and say its worn 

• Sad 1

Ran a scan o my F11 520d and getting the following error codes on an O2 sensor

282E00 Oxygen sensor after cat heating activation short circuit to B+

283400 oxygen sensor after cat heating activation open circuit

284E00 oxygen sensor after cat Nernst Voltage signal open circuit

anyone replaced ? Thanks in advance