Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

On 24/05/2023 at 15:41, E39mad said:

Got an indicated 60.3 mpg over 65 miles at an average speed of 52.3mpg on a recent trip to the Fylde Coast. 

Didn't go over an indicated 70mph or 68mph on the sat nav and pressed the accelerator lightly when needing to speed up.

First time have hit 60mpg - not sure it will happen again...lol

I like the idea but I'd be bored shitless and no grin!

• Haha 2

Today I am making good use of my new purchase. Came yesterday and is in use today. 

You'll have to search it (or similar) by : Gohhome Car Sun Shade.

Took the pic of it in place in my F11 about 30mins ago in around 22c sunshine. Inside the car was very comfortably cool even with the windows closed all morning.

I am in now way connected to anything to do with this product... I'm just putting it in the 'highly recommended' zone.

Size M is fine for my F11.

IMG20230526115416.jpg

I've just done a semi bodge job of my steering wheel with those restore kits. Going to have to redo the process or may be just sand it down slightly and then reapply the top coat to even things out. It looks much better than it was but it's quite patchy to say the least. I messed up the last stage with applying the base colour. Instead of dabbing with the sponge lightly I was smearing it and using too heavy coats. Schoolboy error. This sort of stuff has never been my thing! It'll take a full 7 days to fully cure so time will tell?!  20230526_210045.thumb.jpg.a9db580e10ed46332b643ee7ee7e356d.jpg

Edited by RH27
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RH27 said:

I've just done a semi bodge job of my steering wheel with those restore kits. Going to have to redo the process or may be just sand it down slightly and then reapply the top coat to even things out. It looks much better than it was but it's quite patchy to say the least. I messed up the last stage with applying the base colour. Instead of dabbing with the sponge lightly I was smearing it and using too heavy coats. Schoolboy error. This sort of stuff has never been my thing! It'll take a full 7 days to fully cure so time will tell?!  20230526_210045.thumb.jpg.a9db580e10ed46332b643ee7ee7e356d.jpg

Looks pretty good from here.  Where'd ju ged it?

17 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

Looks pretty good from here.  Where'd ju ged it?

Thanks, I'd give myself a 6 or 7 out of 10. I aced all the preparation and fumbled the easy step lol. Such is life. 

It's the furniture clinic steering wheel restore kit. £25 from their eBay account or Amazon. 

Definitely recommend it. You can get the steering wheel to like new. There's enough of all the chemicals to do about 4 steering wheels I'd say. 

Edited by RH27
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Today I am making good use of my new purchase. Came yesterday and is in use today. 

You'll have to search it (or similar) by : Gohhome Car Sun Shade.

Took the pic of it in place in my F11 about 30mins ago in around 22c sunshine. Inside the car was very comfortably cool even with the windows closed all morning.

I am in now way connected to anything to do with this product... I'm just putting it in the 'highly recommended' zone.

Size M is fine for my F11.

IMG20230526115416.jpg

Interesting, will need something like that next time i'm in France.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Once I buy a pump to let me pump the oil back in. 

Debating whether I can be bothered doing mine DIY because the tricky bit is changing the mechatronic sleeve, otherwise it's pretty straight forward.  

Any idea if the sleeve must be replaced? I've read if it's not leaking then it should be fine.

A part of me is leaning on just changing the sump and replacing the oil only. I can't be bothered fiddling around for ages in tight spaces! 

Edited by RH27

My problem today is .... long weekend... glorious sunshine.... temperature in the mid 20s before lunch.... IPL in the morning, Monaco GP in the afternoon.

My solution... ex roads policing car with seats in good need of cleaning. Experiment by putting the rear seat squab in the shower, using nothing but painfully hot water to gradually rinse it end to end until the runoff was clear, then let it drain and air dry.

You do NOT want to see the colour of the water that was running off 🫣

IMG20230528122709.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy

29 minutes ago, HandyAndy said:

My problem today is .... long weekend... glorious sunshine.... temperature in the mid 20s before lunch.... IPL in the morning, Monaco GP in the afternoon.

My solution... ex roads policing car with seats in good need of cleaning. Experiment by putting the rear seat squab in the shower, using nothing but painfully hot water to gradually rinse it end to end until the runoff was clear, then let it drain and air dry.

You do NOT want to see the colour of the water that was running off 🫣

IMG20230528122709.jpg

A Vax Spotwash duo spot cleaner is the best thing to clean a car interior. I tackled my carpets and mats today - the water was Black from those. 

I'll be tackling the headlining tomorrow to get that sorted out. Unfortunately my seats are leather so will have to dig out the proper cleaning product for those. 

I went out last Saturday to find someone to fix a small dent in my offside rear quarter just above the lens cluster.  While I was out I reversed into a post while I was concentrating on a pedestrian behind me and added a nasty scratch to my rear bumper.

I’ve got the man coming to fix my dent but now I have to find someone to fix my scratch too.

Hair pulling moment!

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0794.jpeg

3 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Do you really think I'd get away with such an act if there were a Mrs HA? 🫣

I do stuff covertly. Ive been known to put non cutlery related items in the dishwasher. 

• Haha 2

Yesterday, it was earning it's keep

IMG-0434.jpg

Trip to the dump to get rid of the old wishbones I removed last year and the engine oil.  Just never got round to dumping it all.

IMG-0435.jpg

And then hauled a load of garden stuff home for the Mrs.

IMG-0442.jpg

But I did get a chance to break out the tools and help @VPCAPTAIN while the Mrs was still out.

• Like 1

What and run the risk of tins of paint and used engine oil spilling inside my car, nah no thanks. 🤓

Yes local tip will accept car parts as scrap metal and there is a dedicated tank for used engine oil.

Took the old offside strut apart so I could recover the spring pads, bump stop and spring which were only on the car for just over 2 years. 

6-FD84-DE8-025-A-4-D83-994-C-71-CAA3-EAE

I’ll put them in the spares box and scrap the shock absorber and top mount 

Used mine for work today, looking at railway bridges between Clarkston and Busby Junction, one of which is bridge 223-041 Burnfield Road

IMG-0690.jpg

which is right next to my friendly local BMW dealer, who was able to sell me a couple of intercooler O rings.

IMG-0817.jpg

Another job on the to do list.

• Like 1

After a good early morning wash before the sun got too strong I changed the oil and filter for the 10th time having recently passed the milestone of covering 100000 miles since taking ownership of this fine car

20230531-114952.jpg

Also discovered how to set the oil service indicator to 10000 miles using Bimmertool. Setting the remaining value to 45%

Screenshot-20230531-170917-bimmer-tool.j

gives you a remaining value of 10000 miles 😀

20230531-171014.jpg

Had a red letter through today from BMW telling me about an urgent recall for the drivers airbag being too powerful and may cause a fatality or serious injury.

Got to wait for the second letter before contacting BMW dealer for replacement.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 17.37.00.png