Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Sorted out my parking brake button & surround. The button is a Chinese special, fits spot on but the light is through painted white plastic rather than clear. 

The surround I'd ordered the wrong one and it seems BMW felt the need to change the location of the lugs on the LCI version. Given that they seem totally unnecessary and over engineered I simply got rid of them and it fits. Better than paying twice as it was a non returnable part from Germany. 

It's things like this that freshen it up but will soon become no longer available.

IMG20230502181421.thumb.jpg.fab7102684ffcc7f67b3dfec79adbf15.jpg

IMG20230503183112.thumb.jpg.ce243ca1534790ad546020da287780f1.jpg

IMG20230503194517.thumb.jpg.687e62df6e62fa5d4eacf5518b6f4f0d.jpg

IMG20230503194944.thumb.jpg.bbcca1d47e31aad1d266514716ed6aa9.jpg

• Like 5

On 03/05/2023 at 15:33, HandyAndy said:

Nope, I'm guessing it's just quality and age.... when I bought the set this was still West Germany and they've served well. I was only using elbow grease, not even me big rubber hammer.

When I gave up I noted two fracture points, both at the joins of the flats... weakest point of the socket. Guess I just got unlucky..... or I'm stronger than I thought 🤔

The offending fractured 24mm. Along with a T45 I replaced on the same order. (The T45 wasn't involved on this job, I just took the opportunity to replace it).

IMG20230504151022.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy
  • Sad 1

Try a T50….

IMG-2705.jpg

As the counter hold. T45 would have just laughed at you as it’s too small.

I bought impact grade bits for this job as I’ve lost count of the number of plain Torx bits I’ve broken on the F10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet again the sun was shining down here in Surrey so it was time to tackle more jobs on the 530d.

Had the i-Step updated from March 2011 to November 2022 on all modules. The car feels slightly different but not sure if this is a placebo from all the adaptations being reset or the update actually made a difference. There are some graphical differences on the dash (Light red line on the consumption bar, different lines between tracks when changing via the steering wheel).

Also replaced the faulty EGR valve, cleared the adaptations and faults. It pulls much nicer now so this may have been on its way out since I had the car.

My stepdad and I dropped a couple bolts into the engine so the undertray had to come off, while I was underneath I had a stare at the control arm bushing to see if I could see anything that would point to the source of the clonking noise when braking at slow speed but everything looks 'fine' as far as I can tell.

My E60 clonked from its control arms when under braking. Visually they looked fine but on jacking it up and wiggling the road wheels, I could quite easily see and feel the movement at the balljoints. 

• Like 2

Got the results back from my oil test today. Had a oil level over max message, so took about 220ml out, level went perfect, but as the car is new to me I wanted to make sure it wasn’t due to leaky injector and there was diesel getting in the oil (dpf and regens have all checked out, in fact the dpf had some of the lowest levels I’ve seen!).

results were spot on so I’m well pleased with that, helps set mind at rest!  the only recommendation was an oil change (it was done 1 year ago and 8k ago miles at 102k) as soot levels in the oil were creeping slightly high. Which again goes to show that the BMW extended intervals are really too long.

So I’ve ordered up some Castrol Edge, oil filter and some new wipers, will give it nice fresh drop!

then the only things left I want to do is ZF8 service given the mileage, then on to the annoying knock/clunk from the passenger side rear over certain types of bumps…..

Edited by skyjawa

Yeah ignore BMWs oil advice 

Change once a year or every 10k max.

An oil service costs less than a full tank of premium fuel so IMO there is absolutely no reason to not change your oil.

As long as whatever oil you use says LL04 on the bottle, use it, don’t over think it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

My E60 clonked from its control arms when under braking. Visually they looked fine but on jacking it up and wiggling the road wheels, I could quite easily see and feel the movement at the balljoints. 

Thanks Andrew. Next time it has to be jacked up I'll give things a wiggle and then open my wallet again. 👍

• Like 1

On 03/05/2023 at 07:23, 0011718 said:

Does the car feel better now Duncan?

Maybe is current answer, its on long motorway runs when i get irritated and havent done one of them yet - off on a walking trip in the next few of weeks, will get a better idea then.

It’s official!

Summer is here 😎

E83-EA2-B7-2336-4-DF6-AEF4-737149599819.

The combination of being fit enough, dry enough, warm enough and having free time meant I got my summers back on. Car drives so much better. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Successfully paired my new phone so I could still listen to my tunes 

9-AE456-AC-573-F-40-E3-820-A-26-A9-ABA32

I always find it strange that BMW didnt make the flagship models (535d/535i) in the 5 series range have a large screen as standard.. rock on!

Lol yeah @Percha, I don’t have pro nav. The original owner spent his money on a tow bar, bigger wheels, winter wheels and folding rear seats instead. I use those options far more than I’d use nav. 

Pro nav was only standard from later on in 2013. Mine is a Jan 2013 build. 

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Pro nav was only standard from later on in 2013. Mine is a Jan 2013 build. 

Business Nav (small screen)  was standard from around 2013 but Pro Nav was only ever standard on the Luxury trim models. 

• Like 1

At the weekend rather than today but washed two of the three. Always find it a frustrating experience as i like a nice shiny car but then you see all the blemishes which is depressing!

Forgive the wheel rash, I inherited that and a refurb is on the list.

535&330-3.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Mines bigger than yours 🤪

professional multimedia code ZGC

IMG_8654.jpeg

I see yours, and raise you…..  😛 😄 

im jealous of these clean cars, not done mine since I got it and it’s covered in crap, dust and pollen 😞 need a decent amount of time to do it as want to get the das6 on it, just for a quick buff up!

CA3B0747-D61C-43E1-BA92-AB1F57AB0659.jpeg

Edited by skyjawa
  • Haha 1