Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Remember there are “charging points” under the bonnet.

If the battery is disconnected in a shut (and therefore locked) boot, but the cabin is unlocked, open the bonnet and get 12V onto the terminals. The positive terminal is effectively an extension of the positive battery terminal in the boot. 

I know but it seemed a lot of hassle to bring another one of the cars available to me over to mine.

I thought it was much easier to reach through the ski hatch with a chop stick to push the release for the back seats 😅

@Andrew we had more of an L shaped pick. Could get it into the seal but pulling on the pick pulled the handle off it.

The rear main seal we did by putting a screw in and prying it out. There isn't much of a gap for the selector shaft seal so the screw I had was too big and it was already mashed at that point. I'm just grateful my mate had more patience to pick it out in pieces as I was getting worried I'd be stuck with a knackered seal. I hate those moments where you go beyond the point of no return and it's not going to plan. Always such a big relief when you get over the hurdle!

• Thanks 1

With apologies to any OE purists reading I have fitted a new set of wheels.

20230424-120134.jpg

20230424-120150.jpg

20230424-120341.jpg

20230423-122208.jpg

These are Oz Racing Superturismo LM wheels.

I had been shocked at the state of my style 613 summer wheels. Despite driving mostly on roads I know well and being fastidious in my avoidance of pot holes and other defects, also having a full refurb around 3 years ago three of the wheels have developed buckles on the inner rim. Although the wheels were still ok to use and balance well to cut a long story short it was easier to just buy a new set of wheels than get the old ones refurbished again. I looked into getting another set of stye 613s because I like the look of them but a new set of genuine 613s was going to be a lot more expensive than these and likely to end up in a similar state as my old ones so I decided to look for a stronger set.

These wheels are flow formed as opposed to the cast style 613s so theoretically stronger. Time will tell I guess.

I've had them fitted with Michelin Pilot-Sport 5s (non run-flat) which are feeling and working very well indeed.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
  • Like 9

Got to love the cavernous space in an F11, swallowed two big seats in the load area. Went to see Samy PC (can be found on Facebook) to retrofit my M5 seats. It wasn't straightforward, requiring a fair bit of wiring before the controls would work.

Also had a full ilevel update so now I can get my NBT ceramic idrive controller working with my CIC system (without the touch feature which I don't need) and am ready for a 6WA instrument cluster at some point.

IMG20230426091952.thumb.jpg.a80dbd687af013e7d46fb5388d19c416.jpg

IMG20230426164237.thumb.jpg.7282620a1961cb0a080255fd844b229c.jpg

IMG20230426164246.thumb.jpg.965be2a6be853c83c39a0546dcfa4826.jpg

• Like 6

Not today but since getting a month ago…

android 12 12.3” screen and reversing cam (I think it really modernises the interior) and sorted comfort access faults on drivers side with a couple of handles from Ali Express 🙂 

I swapped the shifter for the SAT version and coded sports auto/sport+ as well as getting a larger idrive knob cover. Ultimately would like the newer steering wheel and heated, but that’s an expensive retro so it’s fine for now!

And finally, I had a remap done!

856BA0CA-0E82-4348-AD29-C89C9798EC3F.jpeg

474B6034-CB25-43DB-A524-72D1F8BA34E2.jpeg

A7701D14-609A-41BA-A8BB-2E182AE45138.jpeg

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and completely forgot I also fixed the fault codes on both drivers and passenger side mirrors saying dimming and heating not working.  Popped the glass out and saw the complete wiring fudge, temporarily re-wired for now direct into the plug on the glass and got rid of the codes and checked the heating was working with a laser temp sensor, but have some proper connectors coming for the loom side to fix it so I can plug it in properly. 

After having my whole car get an ilevel update we tried a wiring hack to get the NBT idrive controller working with CIC (without the touch function). Amazingly it works! The wheel is so much smoother to turn and nicer to hold in size, plus I've found a ceramic one. 

IMG20230428133135.thumb.jpg.b1f84e83f4a7cd2a577f416b33d6d328.jpg

For anyone interested here's some info: https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/nbt-controller-with-cic-retrofit-success.889542/

Basically, I've now got a couple of wires tapped into the ZGW harness running into the centre console to replace pins 3 & 4 on the idrive controller plug. It's worth noting I have a 4 pin CIC controller and the older ones are 10 pin, which is what the link above describes. 

Edited by Steve84N

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Shudders!

I survived my trip to IKEA on a Saturday.  I think that deserves a medal.

Folding rear seats can be a disadvantaged sometimes as I then get sent places to collect things. 

I'm glad you're upholding the BMW parking regime, sure, it takes 30 minutes to walk to the destination, but hopefully no trolleys or unsavouries parking next to you damaging the car.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2023 at 21:00, Cadwell Parker said:

With apologies to any OE purists reading I have fitted a new set of wheels.

20230424-120134.jpg

20230424-120150.jpg

20230424-120341.jpg

20230423-122208.jpg

These are Oz Racing Superturismo LM wheels.

I had been shocked at the state of my style 613 summer wheels. Despite driving mostly on roads I know well and being fastidious in my avoidance of pot holes and other defects, also having a full refurb around 3 years ago three of the wheels have developed buckles on the inner rim. Although the wheels were still ok to use and balance well to cut a long story short it was easier to just buy a new set of wheels than get the old ones refurbished again. I looked into getting another set of stye 613s because I like the look of them but a new set of genuine 613s was going to be a lot more expensive than these and likely to end up in a similar state as my old ones so I decided to look for a stronger set.

These wheels are flow formed as opposed to the cast style 613s so theoretically stronger. Time will tell I guess.

I've had them fitted with Michelin Pilot-Sport 5s (non run-flat) which are feeling and working very well indeed.

They look great.  Just the right ratio of tyre wall to match the wheel size.  Tyres look perfect too

• Thanks 1

You are on the money @Matthew
Parked as far away as possible from the great unwashed in their Vauxhall Coffees and Nissan Jokes. 

I’m also parked right against a kerb so if a clown did park next to me I’ve maximised the space between us. 

If I hadn’t been talking to a old pal from school, I’d have been out of there in less than 10 minutes. Which is 8 minutes too long if you ask me. 

• Like 4

Half serviced my car.

Oil change, oil filter and air filter.

Annoyingly ordered the cabin filters assuming two would be in a pack, but there was only one, so I'll do this quickly next weekend.

I was interrupted in the afternoon so I didn't have time to change the fuel filter and bleed via ista so again, will defer to next weekend.

On 29/04/2023 at 17:44, Matthew said:

I'm glad you're upholding the BMW parking regime ….

How can you tell? I can’t see the white line running directly down the centre of the car in the photo. 😎

Ahh the nylocs quite often put up a fight.

I managed to beat them into submission the last time I did arms, I had power wire brushed the threads and used loads of Plusgas.  I had even bought an M14x1.25 die to clean the threads if needed.

IMG-2722.jpg

but the previous attempt resulted in

IMG-9602.jpg

a pair of self locking pliers being used so I could put more effort into the nut without having to counterhold with a T50 getting in the road. I even bought a bigger pair after this one incase I needed them on another balljoint.

On the E60....

DSCN0097.jpg

I had to hacksaw as I broke my T40 bit. I didn't own a grinder back then.

Which reminds me, I really need to get more cutting discs..

I hate nylocs, there are other self locking nuts that don't use nylon inserts, why can we use more of them.  The replacement E60 balljoint nuts weren't nylocs almost as if BMW realised they were a right royal pain in the sit down bits.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 21:11, Andrew said:

Are your wheel bearings good?

Once you take the balljoint apart, you have access to the bearings. 

Annoyingly the socket fractured as I began the first side, so the job is currently on hold.

I have a replacement standard socket on order as well as a deep, impact socket.

Interestingly the arms on the car have torx sockets on the ball joint, but the Meyle replacement has a plain hex socket. Luckily my toolbox is well stocked for both.

I'll be giving all elements of each wheel station a good check once I get things apart, however I currently have no indications of excessive bearing wear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

How did you manage to fracture a socket @HandyAndy?

CRV used with a windy gun?

Nope, I'm guessing it's just quality and age.... when I bought the set this was still West Germany and they've served well. I was only using elbow grease, not even me big rubber hammer.

When I gave up I noted two fracture points, both at the joins of the flats... weakest point of the socket. Guess I just got unlucky..... or I'm stronger than I thought 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1