Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Yep that's pretty much what the alignment guy said to me and when I took it back to the garage and asked them to adjust the arms they told me it was fine.

At the first alignment after the arms were changed I had +3 degrees and after a few months I had +2.6. To look at, it looks to be sitting on the road much better now and the handling has a bit more weight to it.

Absolutely nothing as I’ve been struck down with COVID19 the revenge, near enough 3 years since it first kicked the crap out of me.

So meanwhile my car is still missing it’s nose and one of its eyes while sat on axle stands as I have no physical strength to clean out the old sealant around the LED modules. 

But as you lot appear to like pictures of bits of cars in the garden, here is another one just to cheer everyone up.

0-C30-F32-E-91-B4-4085-8757-8-FF212-B970

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

Got a write up of that? It’s on my to do list 

No sadly, we used a YouTube video and the ZF instructions for the filling procedure.

The only pain point is needing to check the gearbox oil temperature as you're filling but that can be done using ISTA or an OBD reader.

ZF_SI_Oelwechselkit_8HP_50130_EN.pdf

36 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

I know it’s a Wheeler Dealer thing but Ed China did a similar thing on a Porsche and used one of those hand held infrared thermometers that you point at someone’s forehead.

Yes he did indeed, but he was in theory in measuring the transmission pan temperature.  My Foxwell NT530 scanner, can measure transmission fluid temperature which will be more accurate I would have thought.

@mullinsj08, how did you get the fluid in the gearbox, did you use a specific type of pump?  After recommendations of a transmission fluid pump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Yes he did indeed, but he was in theory in measuring the transmission pan temperature.  My Foxwell NT530 scanner, can measure transmission fluid temperature which will be more accurate I would have thought.

@mullinsj08, how did you get the fluid in the gearbox, did you use a specific type of pump?  After recommendations of a transmission fluid pump.

I've always used the proper diagnostic kit to read the temperature and haven't gone wrong yet doing this job....(not on BMW mind, but all ZF).

I've been meaning to get one of these (or the like) as I need to do gearbox and diff oils sooner or later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMOTIVEPRO-Suction-Transfer-Capacity-Automotive/dp/B0914XYJX6

Larger version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yililay-Extractor-Automobile-Transfer-Industrial/dp/B09LQ4WJNS

Or were you thinking something larger and maybe pressurised?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Andrew We used a 1L syringe thing, it took bloody ages even with team work...don't do it that way! 😄

• Haha 1

@olliecampbell

thanks for the info, I as thinking bigger as the ‘box takes 6 litres?

smaller one be ok for the diff. 

Anyone know a good diff oil that doesn’t have ground unicorn horns in it which the bmw stuff must have given how much they charge for it.

G5 is that the right spec for open diffs? 

Bought my Michelin Sport 4s all round in July 21, 52k, £255 each at the time.

Just about ready replace the rears now 31k later at £320 each from BlackCircles.

£65 up

Fronts are about half worn

I'm off to buy some shares in Michelin now or do they come with the tyres!

11 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Bought my Michelin Sport 4s all round in July 21, 52k, £255 each at the time.

Just about ready replace the rears now 31k later at £320 each from BlackCircles.

£65 up

Fronts are about half worn

I'm off to buy some shares in Michelin now or do they come with the tyres!

You did well to get 31k out of them. I barely managed 20k from a set of PS4s and the driving I do is not overly hard on tyres. I get better mileage from the Crossclimates on my winter wheels. I've just ordered a set of PS5s for the summer wheels.

• Like 1

Last month I upgraded my screen to the larger 10.25".  I have a RoadTop CarPlay module so use Google Maps anyway but if I switch back to the native BMW sat-nav now, my location on the map is at the south pole.  I opened the dash again and I had left the blue connector off from the lower rear corner back of the head unit which i believe to be the nav antenna but I'm still in the cold.  Do I need to move the car for it to update?

Any pointers please?

IMG_0650.jpeg

Edited by F10-65

3 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

You did well to get 31k out of them. I barely managed 20k from a set of PS4s and the driving I do is not overly hard on tyres. I get better mileage from the Crossclimates on my winter wheels. I've just ordered a set of PS5s for the summer wheels.

I like run flats but not available just yet in the PS5

4 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Last month I upgraded my screen to the larger 10.25".  I have a RoadTop CarPlay module so use Google Maps anyway but if I switch back to the native BMW sat-nav now, my location on the map is at the south pole.  I opened the dash again and I had left the blue connector off from the lower rear corner back of the head unit which i believe to be the nav antenna but I'm still in the cold.  Do I need to move the car for it to update?

Any pointers please?

Its OK, It was the blue wire onto the unmarked connector and yes I had to move the car to find the satellites i guess

First proper wash and mini-detail since I got the wheels and badges done. 

Was not sure about the darker wheels at first but now with the dark badges and a shiny wax she looks lovely (imho!).

Used a new petroleum based plastic restorer (Will post tin later) on the front grilles.

I like the black coated brake disc  from EBC - spoils it for me when the silver one gets corroded and marked. Of course now I want the same for the rear…

I will paint the calipers but not sure wether to go red, BMW blue or subtle gunmetal grey. Previously had them grey and so maybe time for a something more ostentatious.

Proper clay, polish and wax to come but fallen in love all over again 

434D762C-4FFE-4BD4-84CC-662F200AB4B6.jpeg

98C8109E-3B5A-4259-BA23-C245C29C67E7.jpeg

944C2EEA-203F-4432-B2A4-6950EFB866BE.jpeg

30315C62-848B-4622-B540-65C107B580D7.jpeg

4C76D271-A68D-4902-9A3E-B4E5FAEDA7B8.jpeg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Munzy said:

First proper wash and mini-detail since I got the wheels and badges done. 

Was not sure about the darker wheels at first but now with the dark badges and a shiny wax she looks lovely (imho!).

Used a new petroleum based plastic restorer (Will post tin later) on the front grilles.

I like the black coated brake disc  from EBC - spoils it for me when the silver one gets corroded and marked. Of course now I want the same for the rear…

I will paint the calipers but not sure wether to go red, BMW blue or subtle gunmetal grey. Previously had them grey and so maybe time for a something more ostentatious.

Proper clay, polish and wax to come but fallen in love all over again 

434D762C-4FFE-4BD4-84CC-662F200AB4B6.jpeg

Really nice

Stickers are very cool too

I'd go for the grey brakes but only you'll know they've been painted

35 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

Or what about black calipers?

That’s a good shout, I think they would look fresher for longer and would fit in nicely with the grey/black look she currently has.

I don’t like when red or blue painted ones look shabby after a while so black would lessen that.

• Like 1