Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Interesting dent on the top side of the air intake duct, upstream of the air filter.  Mine has the same, or similar dent, but no obvious cause? Mine didn't have one, when i bought the car with 16.6k miles, but did, after about another 4k. Its directly under a strut, so I can only assume, that under load it curves and pushes against the strut?

I doubt the strut is deforming...it provides stiffness, with load forces travelling along its length. Given the temperatures in the engine bay, the plastic would deform before the metal.  The corrugations in the air duct allow for movement associated with expansion from heat and with no guides or straps to prevent vertical movement, I'm assuming the duct deforms sufficiently to press against the underside of the strut. The dent occurs, as the plastic is softer and the force created by the expansion is insufficient to deform the strut.....I just think its odd, but far less serious than other engine design flaws....

13 minutes ago, Kopfjaeger said:

...anyone have any ideas?

Just under where my hand is, the 'dent' lines up the strut brace.  It allows the engine to move on its mounts without the duct fouling the brace

IMG-5064.jpg

another angle

IMG-8589.jpg

@Steve84N, any fault codes relating to the vanos solenoids?  Mine are on my to do list for a strip and clean.

In other news, I've owned my F10 for 7 years as of today.

• Like 1

Drove mine down to San Martino di Castrozzia in the Italian Dolomites to take us skiing.  First skiing since Feb 2020.  We got back last time 2 days before lockdown.

Journey down was great.  All the way overnight down to Ulm in Germany, got my head down for an hour in the services then on through Austria to Italia.

Got flashed 3 times in Germany by some new funky red cameras at the roadside, flashed once in Austria and passed a camera once in Italy but no flash.  Let’s see what comes of them all.

@Kopfjaegerthat dent is by design then and you just didn't notice it at first.

@Andrewno, that's the thing. You wouldn't know but the improvement afterwards is obvious. Once the fan is out there's a couple of reverse torx bolts holding on a wiring pack, then it's easy access to the solenoids.

Congratulations on reaching 7 years, I think my longest ownership is 5 years of a car. Maybe the F11 will take the record as aside from a G31 540i all the newer stuff doesn't interest me and I like having a manual again. Much cheaper to stick with the 535i, even chucking lots of refreshments at it.

@F10-65keep us updated on the camera outcomes, I'm driving to Italy in June this year... 

Edited by Steve84N
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve84N said:

@F10-65keep us updated on the camera outcomes, I'm driving to Italy in June this year... 

Will let you know.  Last year I got a speeding ticket in Germany for 140 in a 130 and it was only £10.

This was our way down to avoid the £100 French tolls and the £50 Mont Blanc charge and the £50 drive across to Venice.

Going the way we did, set Google Maps to avoid tolls to Ulm then from there enable tolls.  Don't forget to buy the £9 Vingette for Austria from a German services before you enter (a friend of mine had to pay £250 fine) and then we paid the £22.90 toll from the Italian border down to Venice.  We could have avoided that too but the time saved is worth the charge.

We leave my car at my in-laws in Padova and pinch his RAV4 to go up to the ski resort.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.45.27.png

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.46.36.png

• Thanks 1

EGR recall carried out by Douglas Park, Hillington. Car back significantly cleaner inside and out. Paperwork showed "bonnet springs 10/20 expired" (car was built in 11/15). Chap on service desk confirmed that it was sales b*****it and that nobody ever had them replaced. Out of interest does anyone know if this refers to the gas struts that hold the bonnet open or the gizmos that lift the rear of the bonnet slightly if impact with a pedestrian is detected.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albion Man said:

Out of interest does anyone know if this refers to the gas struts that hold the bonnet open or the gizmos that lift the rear of the bonnet slightly if impact with a pedestrian is detected.  

The latter.

Douglas Park excel in b*****it

Don’t go to Douglas Park, especially when the new Harry Fairbairn is now on the same road just a few hundred meters away.

7 hours ago, Albion Man said:

EGR recall carried out by Douglas Park, Hillington. Car back significantly cleaner inside and out. Paperwork showed "bonnet springs 10/20 expired" (car was built in 11/15). Chap on service desk confirmed that it was sales b*****it and that nobody ever had them replaced. Out of interest does anyone know if this refers to the gas struts that hold the bonnet open or the gizmos that lift the rear of the bonnet slightly if impact with a pedestrian is detected.  

I had this on mine. About 6 months after I bought it from the main dealer, it was picked up on by my local dealer when they serviced it. As they had ‘expired’ before I’d even bought the car, I insisted that they be replaced at cost to the supplying dealer. All,sorted without a fuss. No idea what they did at the time but seemed rude not to get something done for free.

🙂

• Like 1

To be fair to Douglas Park, I reckon that the reference to the expired bonnet springs was them following BMW policy and not an attempt to upsell their services. It was me that raised the point when I spotted the reference on the worksheet, and I was told that it wasn’t necessary. I’ve only used Douglas Park for recalls and warranty work and found them to be OK - all other work was done by an independent. However it’s handy to know that the new Arnold Clark branch on Hillington Road has a BMW dealership.

On 13/02/2023 at 21:59, Steve84N said:

The journey down was brilliant.  We’re just leaving now to catch the train Sunday morning (tomorrow) at 7:20

D34C86BA-37C0-4F73-A218-6FE435A41A56.jpeg

Return journey.jpg

Edited by F10-65
Return journey added
  • Like 1

Had the old girl in for its mot on Saturday, and of course it passed with flying colours. The tester said that it can't be a BMW as the underside was as dry as a bone. I have been going to the same one for years and he remembers my E46 that leaked like a sieve.  I fixed my headlight module just in time though.

• Like 4

Replaced front Brembo discs and Pagid pads on the 530d with genuine BMW discs and Pagid pads (plus BMW sensor). Slight vibration under light braking now thankfully gone. Idrive front brakes service successfully reset once I remembered to do the reset procedure with the handbrake off...🤨

20230219_184909.jpg

20230219_184947.jpg

20230220_120915.jpg

20230220_120932.jpg

• Like 3

I decided to to finally tackle my intermittent tailgate non compliance this weekend.

EE8E1F06-482D-4D32-818B-4F84C714B14A.thumb.jpeg.7c727e0b4c51dfae2e5b4c65a4614f15.jpeg

Turns out the problem with the tailgate latch not releasing was with the soft close system not the latch itself. After extensive research (google and BMW forums) I managed to solve it by unhooking the white block section at the bottom/middle of the picture, from the latch itself which then allowed the soft close motor to operate. Hey presto, fully operational tailgate and latch after months of messing about with the glass window. Cost £0

The dog will be happy 

801158B5-45BD-4064-8447-094C9593D5BA.thumb.png.75d93780cec21f5e6261acf60eb91237.png

Leo on the right. Rogan on the left GBNF.

• Like 3

Once I’d got a reliably opening tailgate it meant I could drop the rear bumper to change over my dodgy centre left PDC. I’d ordered a colour matched OEM one from EBay around a year ago for £25 delivered but never had the bravery to take off the bumper until now.

I was not prepared for what I found.

23808C29-C2FA-441F-B2B9-20C9907776AB.thumb.jpeg.4c7e390ae457a70b526a2b97c74287ed.jpeg

Telltale signs someone’s been here before.

Soldered wires in there 

9D3A4BC2-B05C-4E2F-BFE9-6C831DAB5A07.thumb.jpeg.dcf7e21453fb3eda09acebc5ceb77ed0.jpeg

The road debris in there was mental. So much grit, stones and general signs of being open to the road conditions. I noticed a couple of missing expanding rivets so this could be the reason, but I’m wondering if I’ve actually got some undercarriage/trim missing. That was Saturday afternoon. I spent the evening looking for 2nd hand wiring looms online and was ready to pull the trigger on one at that point. So I slept on it.

Next morning I remember I have a local Toolstation, so I buy some crimping supplies and a new crimping tool. Believe it or not the above picture wasn’t even the culprit. I ended up finding around 6 dodgy looking wires showing oxidisation which I cut back, crimped and sealed. No need for a new PDC sensor after all. Also totally re taped and secured the whole loom against the elements.

A few cuts to the hands here and there but I’m chuffed I managed to fix it myself in the end.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AndrewToo said:

Once I’d got a reliably opening tailgate it meant I could drop the rear bumper to change over my dodgy centre left PDC. I’d ordered a colour matched OEM one from EBay around a year ago for £25 delivered but never had the bravery to take off the bumper until now.

I was not prepared for what I found.

23808C29-C2FA-441F-B2B9-20C9907776AB.thumb.jpeg.4c7e390ae457a70b526a2b97c74287ed.jpeg

Telltale signs someone’s been here before.

Soldered wires in there 

9D3A4BC2-B05C-4E2F-BFE9-6C831DAB5A07.thumb.jpeg.dcf7e21453fb3eda09acebc5ceb77ed0.jpeg

The road debris in there was mental. So much grit, stones and general signs of being open to the road conditions. I noticed a couple of missing expanding rivets so this could be the reason, but I’m wondering if I’ve actually got some undercarriage/trim missing. That was Saturday afternoon. I spent the evening looking for 2nd hand wiring looms online and was ready to pull the trigger on one at that point. So I slept on it.

Next morning I remember I have a local Toolstation, so I buy some crimping supplies and a new crimping tool. Believe it or not the above picture wasn’t even the culprit. I ended up finding around 6 dodgy looking wires showing oxidisation which I cut back, crimped and sealed. No need for a new PDC sensor after all. Also totally re taped and secured the whole loom against the elements.

A few cuts to the hands here and there but I’m chuffed I managed to fix it myself in the end.

Good work sir.

Really satisfying when you can solve an issue for little or no cost. Imagine the cost for the dealer to resolve the same issue....

• Like 1

Upgraded the standard fit 6.5” screen to a 10.25” I got from eBay for £180.  There are cheaper but this one is completely scratch free.  Already have added a CarPlay module but had to undo that to be able to code the screen with BimmerCode.  Bit fiddly but all good in the hood!

From this…139A1B83-C1E1-4BD7-AE23-09F57DA2E839.thumb.jpeg.56f2a86caf48548b84cdfdf66f578419.jpeg

To this…

2F93A1F2-97A9-4D74-8A6D-B15B30F708EA.thumb.jpeg.b90cc5f73c295f1f58b388568074029b.jpeg

With this in between…

08530296-9ED9-4446-A83A-009F16AFC51D.thumb.jpeg.941d509a6d5425098d4a88815ea4cefe.jpeg

There’s only two settings to make to code the larger screen and a dip switch on the CarPlay unit.

765342B5-5C32-4058-89BE-35B364D2FA09.thumb.jpeg.47df7b08740c6ac285e6daf62461ae63.jpeg

Edited by F10-65
Image add
  • Like 3

Here is an example, to give you an idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Light-Kit-Interior-Light-Kit-For-BMW-1-3-5-7-Series-E87-E81-F20-E46-E90-E91/155215345464?hash=item24238e3738:g:m4wAAOSwVgNjUHZg&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8NTiNyATTi5E/0LC6OGKUJsfIiR5jqf7jpZBoNmSSctimBA8hKZ3SPj6fHw8F5dY0ODIUOPdN1uz2zTnp7okAjOCi/mOtrbmay2TDlfRbjKATUJ8ekZk04jYdbI9tyvFAwkRun9TrEHYJJ8MSWAmBbhIQKbRGdmrP4V2efFiqXxCQwroQFIAI6LnozoklHk9dK9RZRwcKtOCbqQHTQdeg23JKHyNwei4CQJE7FJ+Hgb++v5MMCRc6g4K5DX4Tb/T8Hh8STJhP4epWIw5la9wNvHGQwx7zYrPNAA0MVINFkuYJj2amNR1/vzLSyW96R1pHA==|tkp:Bk9SR4LwsuHVYQ&pageci=1f4d1351-75cc-4d2e-abb5-891a1d08479c&redirect=mobile

or you can get the genuine BMW versions for about £145?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Light-Kit-Interior-Light-Kit-For-BMW-1-3-5-7-Series-E87-E81-F20-E46-E90-E91/155215345464?hash=item24238e3738:g:m4wAAOSwVgNjUHZg&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8NTiNyATTi5E/0LC6OGKUJsfIiR5jqf7jpZBoNmSSctimBA8hKZ3SPj6fHw8F5dY0ODIUOPdN1uz2zTnp7okAjOCi/mOtrbmay2TDlfRbjKATUJ8ekZk04jYdbI9tyvFAwkRun9TrEHYJJ8MSWAmBbhIQKbRGdmrP4V2efFiqXxCQwroQFIAI6LnozoklHk9dK9RZRwcKtOCbqQHTQdeg23JKHyNwei4CQJE7FJ+Hgb++v5MMCRc6g4K5DX4Tb/T8Hh8STJhP4epWIw5la9wNvHGQwx7zYrPNAA0MVINFkuYJj2amNR1/vzLSyW96R1pHA==|tkp:Bk9SR4LwsuHVYQ&pageci1f4d1351-75cc-4d2e-abb5-891a1d0879c&redirect=mbi

le