Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

As in part of a full engine re-build?

No, just the conrod bearings. BMWs are notorious for them on boosted engines and mine is tuned. Plus my oil pan gasket is leaking so that would be done at the same time anyway. Can all be done through the bottom with the engine in the car but the subframe needs dropping at least a bit to get the sump off.

10 hours ago, Snakle535i said:

Gearbox being serviced next week including Carbon treatment car now has 61000 miles. being serviced by same "Edge Performance " in Birkenhead who did my tune on engine and gearbox.

I believe carbon treatment is snake oil, avoid it at all costs. What you want is walnut blasting. Looking at around £400-£500 for both the intake manifold and cylinder head.

At 60k on a petrol I personally wouldn't bother until 100k? On a diesel, sure go for it but even then I'd probably fob it off lol. Mines on 122k now and I can't be arsed. Plenty of other things to throw money at on this mileage with better returns. The 3 litre engine variants also have plenty of horses to make up a slight loss due to carbon build up. But then again, it's good to prevent swirl flap problems. 

If you fancy a DIY job, a couple of great YouTube videos out there. The manifold can be cleaned out with carbon cleaner or basically oven cleaning spray and then jet washed.

The cylinder is a bit more tricky. You'll need a crankshaft tool to manually turn and likely those  probe cameras to check each piston is closed/open before scraping/spraying and using a wet vac to clean it. 

Edited by RH27
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RH27 said:

I believe carbon treatment is snake oil, avoid it at all costs. What you want is walnut blasting. Looking at around £400-£500 for both the intake manifold and cylinder head.

At 60k on a petrol I personally wouldn't bother until 100k? On a diesel, sure go for it but even then I'd probably fob it off lol. Mines on 122k now and I can't be arsed. Plenty of other things to throw money at on this mileage with better returns. The 3 litre engine variants also have plenty of horses to make up a slight loss due to carbon build up. But then again, it's good to prevent swirl flap problems. 

If you fancy a DIY job, a couple of great YouTube videos out there. The manifold can be cleaned out with carbon cleaner or basically oven cleaning spray and then jet washed.

The cylinder is a bit more tricky. You'll need a crankshaft tool to manually turn and likely those  probe cameras to check each piston is closed/open before scraping/spraying and using a wet vac to clean it. 

Not touching the engine already at Stage 2+, this is a treatment for the gearbox that gets added when the gearbox is serviced. See link:

https://gearsolutions.com/features/carbon-coatings-for-transmission-components/

Edited by Snakle535i

On 10/08/2023 at 00:22, Steve84N said:

It now seems to have a grumble/hum at speed which I believe could be the odd tyre shape

I had that on my car with a set of Michelin PS4s which had worn down to 2mm. I was thinking I had a knackered wheel bearing until I put a new set of tyres on and the noise disappeared.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I had that on my car with a set of Michelin PS4s which had worn down to 2mm. I was thinking I had a knackered wheel bearing until I put a new set of tyres on and the noise disappeared.

I had that with Worn Michelins. Once they get below 3mm they get noisy and skitterish. Worse on poor road surfaces.

Mine are Pirelli PZ4 with more like 4mm left but I moved the rears to the front. I left it a bit late to make the switch as the inside edge is already too heavily worn from the rear camber. Think I might try the Continental Sport Contact 7 after 20 years of Michelin and Goodyear, plus size up to 255/40/19.

Let the wife drive it.

D2-F4-A035-B528-43-FB-B70-B-297-C5-E9-BD

I get my ear chewed off if I dare to switch off the infotainment and fan in her car, prior to switching it off. 

Do I shout at her for messing mine up?

No way…..

I smell double standards…..

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, skyjawa said:

🤩 (well aside from the usual child seat fitted seatbelt one).

But ironically, lets face it, that's your most precious thing in your life in that seat, you want to know the seatbelt is o.k.

But in todays Americanised society where folk sue folk for looking at them in the wrong way, if an MOT tech accidentally moved or dislodged part of that child seat during the MOT inspection of the seat belt and then god forbid there was an accident, and something happened to the child in that seat, that MOT tech would be up in front of the man with the wig.

Appreciate that is a lot of holes to line up but....

So the MOT Tech doesn't go anywhere near the child seat, and I don't blame them.

Which is why I take them out before going for the MOT, once bitten on that one.

TBH its not like they couldn't remove it and leave it removed.  Its not like they don't leave all the rear seatbelts still plugged in half the time, and your lights off auto which you don't remember until the next time its dark and you wonder why you can't see anything!

Had another recall letter through today.  They already did the EGR firmware now they’re going to replace it and give a 15 year warranty.  I still have the outstanding recall for the drivers airbag replacement.

how long do these normally take to happen?

I've taken out the redundant phone holder and replaced it with an oddments tray. It was £38 delivered from Cotswold BMW and the part number is 51169206734. 

That completes my centre console upgrade. I've added cables that run to my MMI unit for Android Auto, both USB and AUX so they are hidden. Also installed another 12V socket for phone charging as the MMI USB connection isn't powerful enough. With the 12V socket in the ashtray and the one in the rear everyone in the family has a charging point. 

IMG20230817124151.thumb.jpg.083e0f6cc79558cf2b3b7938aeb79c8d.jpg

IMG20230817130409.thumb.jpg.5030d0515a14ff7986630afb98086c80.jpg

IMG20230817130547.thumb.jpg.7be812603bc5415e3bb4fc4bd0dee673.jpg

On 16/08/2023 at 13:24, skyjawa said:

TBH its not like they couldn't remove it and leave it removed.  Its not like they don't leave all the rear seatbelts still plugged in half the time, and your lights off auto which you don't remember until the next time its dark and you wonder why you can't see anything!

What...remove it and leave a weeks worth of food on display for the world to see! (well at least it would be in my car!) :D I can't imagine what might crawl out from underneath my sons seat.

2 hours ago, Steve84N said:

I've taken out the redundant phone holder and replaced it with an oddments tray. It was £38 delivered from Cotswold BMW and the part number is 51169206734. 

That completes my centre console upgrade. I've added cables that run to my MMI unit for Android Auto, both USB and AUX so they are hidden. Also installed another 12V socket for phone charging as the MMI USB connection isn't powerful enough. With the 12V socket in the ashtray and the one in the rear everyone in the family has a charging point. 

Is your interior green or is it my eyes?!

Edited by olliecampbell

6 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

What...remove it and leave a weeks worth of food on display for the world to see! (well at least it would be in my car!) 😄 I can't imagine what might crawl out from underneath my sons seat.

🫣🤣 true! Hadn’t thought of that 😆

7 hours ago, F10-65 said:

IMG_1298.jpeg

So, explain to me the reason that ze Germans have 5 pump nozzles at each pump location, it's not 5 different flavour of fuels is it?  Or is there a fast diesel delivery nozzle for trucks?

Unleaded, super unleaded, diesel, super diesel and fast diesel delivery?

Obviously, when I come to power there will only need to be two pumps.  Super unleaded and fast diesel delivery for trucks.

On 18/08/2023 at 09:29, Andrew said:

So, explain to me the reason that ze Germans have 5 pump nozzles at each pump location, it's not 5 different flavour of fuels is it?  Or is there a fast diesel delivery nozzle for trucks?

Unleaded, super unleaded, diesel, super diesel and fast diesel delivery?

Obviously, when I come to power there will only need to be two pumps.  Super unleaded and fast diesel delivery for trucks.

Looking at that picture it's an Aral (BP) ... the pump choices will be standard diesel, high spec diesel, petrol E5, petrol E10 and high spec petrol. The product names obviously vary by company, but the types are pretty much the same. Lkw (hgv) diesel is at a separate pump with more space for large vehicles... and now electric points are in another area again.

The E refers to the percentage of bioethanol in petrol, the diesel equivalent being a B number. Typically when I tank at either Shell or Esso I'll use B5 standard diesel... what Shell calls 'fuelsave'.